• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic versus Lightroom CC

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to decide which of the two Lightrooms I should use.  I have been using Classic for 10+ years.  Are there advantages to migrating to the CC version and vice versa?  Are all capabilities available on both versions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit confused. I've been told by many that Lightroom Classic CC is the one to get, but I don't see it anymore.

Is the new Lightroom Classic - the updated version of CC? 

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two versions now for Desktop/Laptop (plus mobile) Lightroom and Lightroom Classic.

Lightroom is a Cloud based app with files stored in the cloud with a different set of features to Classic. 

Lightroom Classic is a hard drive based app that relies on local storage with limited sync to the cloud.

Personally as my internet access is limited and slow (in Gulu, Uganda) I use Classic so I can access my files all the time without internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC is a vastly simplified and less capable photo manager/ developerthan Lightroom Classic.

But based on some comments in these forums, Adobe appears to regard LR Classic as a lesser application. I hope that's a severe misunderstanding. 

Because LR Classic is by far the one you need for the best editing and organising options of the two.

I am currently trying to figure out where to use each and my current conclusion is that I'm using LR Classic for everything that is taken on digital cameras. And LR CC syncs from my phone to the cloud so my photos off the phone are backed up and editable. And I have everyintention of keeping them pretty much that separate. Because it appears that even though you can sync between LR Classi and LR CC, it's an incomplete sync and somethings just don't transfer. Some metadata, edits only one way...

Now what I've just said in the last couple of sentences is off the top of my head remembering some posts. So don't take my word for it. Confirm it in the forums. But don't believe Adobe when they say they are equivalent, or LR CC is the bees knees. It's perfectly fine for edits on the go with camera phone photos. But I would not trust it AT ALL with anything from a digital camera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear there is no Lightroom CC now... 

The two versions are:
Lightroom (Lr)- cloud based

Lightroom Classic (LrC) - desktop based

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an excellent article that will help you decide which version to use:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/ 

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main difference is: With Lightroom Classic all your originals are stored locally, so you are fully responsible for proper storage and backups. With Lightroom, all your originals are stored in the cloud so you don’t neeed local storage space for them, and all your photos are always available to any compatible device you have — as long as you have an Internet connection and pay a sufficient monthly fee for the amount of cloud storage all your originals need.

As far as features, it isn’t as simple as one has more than the other, because both do a few things the other doesn’t. But the raw processing controls are roughly equal. Some of the other main differences are that Lightroom Classic has better keywording tools, better bulk processing tools, a History panel, and the ability to print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure check out the capabilities of each. 
But claiming that LR CC and Classic are roughly on a par (barring some small differences) just seems completely wrong. In my first hour of working with Lightroom CC, I noted many deficiencies compared to Classic. You simply don't have the control and options in LR CC. This is basically understandable because it's having to deal with mobile devices and running Classic interface on a phone would be... infuriating. 
I am certain that Lightroom CC is grand for many people. But I have terabytes of photos and I'm not paying Adobe to store them for me.  
They already charge non-USA countries a premium for their software. I have no need to contribute to their pocket books further. 
Naturally everyone has their own requirements. 
But if you are debating, then make a VERY detailed comparison between the products and TEST any claim that is critical to you. 
Ive been burnt too many times by software changing it not doing what it SEEMED to say it was going to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Namron, welcome to the platform. 

You have an opinion and that is very valid. You are the one debating... lets ensure we keep it friendly - thank you.

You say "But claiming that LR CC and Classic are roughly on a par (barring some small differences) just seems completely wrong." I can see no one claiming that and Adobe certainly doesn't.

Lightroom for cloud was developed as the original Lightroom (Classic as it is now named) did not have the bas architecture for full cloud operation ... hence they have different feature sets as applicable and as possible.

You see each time you post "Be kind and respectful" 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh, yes the person who's post I was replying to made the claim they were roughly on a par. 

And I don't think I've been disrespectful to anyone. I've been "unkind" to Adobe by calling them out on their practises regarding pricing. And that's just a fact. 

Was there anyone else I've been unkind to?

I'm also puzzled about your role Geoff. As far as I can see you're not a forum moderator. 

I mean, yes in forums it is generally helpful for the participants to be self moderating and to talk to people if they are pushing the boundaries. 

So ok. You think I've been "unkind" or something. But please supply specifics. 

The concerns you raised were vague and not connected to any specific examples. Without specifics, it's impossible to know what the problem is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - I am a Moderator and have been for many years.... You have an opinion which is valid but if you claim something others said please quote them.

I am not here to debate wiith you and have stated all I am going to.

Have a good day as I enjoy my 33º C day here in the middle of Africa... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do we tell who are moderators? Or indeed any role. The only thing associated with your name is Adobe Community Professional. I thought that's someone who uses Adobe products professionally. Which I do as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NamronSetac wrote:

“In my first hour of working with Lightroom CC, I noted many deficiencies compared to Classic. You simply don't have the control and options in LR CC.”

I stand by what I said. The quality and options for raw processing in Lightroom are roughly equal to Lightroom Classic. I say this even though I strongly prefer Lightroom Classic; Lightroom overall falls short of what I need. But most of the Lightroom Classic raw processing features are there in Lightroom, and the quality of underlying raw processing engine itself is the same. Mostly what is missing in Lightroom are the History panel, some of the Lens Corrections options, and the Calibration panel. But most of the rest is the same. The reason I prefer Lightroom Classic is more about its many advantages outside the Develop module.

The controls are arrranged differently in Lightroom, so it’s possible that in the first hour that you used Lightroom, maybe you had not yet found where all of the development features are in the Detail view (equivalent of the Develop module)? Maybe you can list a few of the raw processing features you didn’t find in Lightroom, and we can help you find them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you're right in that I haven't delved incredibly far into Lightroom lately. When I first looked at it, a long time ago, I poked my way through the controls and just looking at them, they look simplistic and lacking the options in Classic. 
(I have spent way more than an hour in it by now but mostly just for importing and organising my phone photos)

So I ignored it because I was using Classic and that was working fine. A while back I was tired of just having my iPhone photos on my phone and wanted to integrate them into my other photos. But I found that classic consistently failed to be able to import my photos from the phone. It would do or check a few hundred, then fail with an error. 
As I investigated, it appears that this is a problem with either windows or more likely the way that Apple presents the photos to the system. Or some interaction with Classic, the iPhone and the system. Because when it failed, it looked like the iPhone folder of photos just vanished. And indeed the entire phone disappears off the computer interface in Windows Explorer. 

This was frustrating and then I remembered Lightroom and Lightroom app on my phone. And indeed it successfully pulled all my photos and videos in from the phone. 

so my intent is actually to use Lightroom only for my phone photos. Because it works well for that. 

If I could figure out how to get Classic to import the photos, then I wouldn't need to use Lightroom at all, except for cloud access. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How do we tell who are moderators? Or indeed any role."

In this forum, people with labels "Adobe Community Professional", "Most Valuable Participant", or "Employee" are moderators. Note that Adobe Community Professional is different than Adobe Certified Professional. I don't know of any list or FAQ that Adobe might have published describing this.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not all people mentioned are moderators .. most but not all 😉😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines