• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic will only add some files to the catalogue

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded computers and moved my database to a new location.    I have over 100,000 images in my database.    Trying to import/add them to the catalogue on the new computer.    About 10% will not show up in the catalogue.   If I try to add them it treats them like they already exist. but won't add them.   I can importr new photoshoots without a problem but cannot get Lightroom to recognize the existing files.   This problem existed on the old computer to a lesser extent but with different files.   For now I am forced to use Adobe Bridge to track and file these images.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to import/add them to the catalogue on the new computer.

Is the totally wrong thing to do!

The photos are already referenced in the Catalog. You only need to re-link the database to the new location of the image files.

they already exist

Of course they do! You imported them to the Catalog on the 'old' system.

Do not try to Import again! (Only import totally new photos not already in the Catalog)

Read some helpful links-

Move Lightroom to a new computer? | The Lightroom Queen

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Adobe link)

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Lightroom Queen)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry Wobert but the catralogue is new.  I did not move the catalogue.  I created a new catalogue on the new computer and have tried to impoprt/add  the files in the database.   About 10% of 4.2T would not show up.  They exist and I can see them if I use Bridge but Lightroom treats them as imported but does not show the previews.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Version Number of Lr-Classic are you using?

What Camera Model do the files that will not import come from? Are they specific to one camera?

What OS Version are you using?

Where are the files that will not Import? Internal drive, External, etc? Are they in folders with photos that will import?

Is it possible they are 'Duplicates' of files already imported?

Do they show as greyed out thumbnails in the Import dialog? (A screen-clip?)

Have you searched the 'new' catalog for existing Filenames of the files that you cannot import?

Have you tried the [Synchronize Folder] the check that all files in specific folders have imported?

Why did you want a 'new' catalog? (All your work in the 'old' catalog is lost!)

Sorry for all the questions, but they may help our Community arrive at some answers for you.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

answer to questions:

*I have an adobe creative membership and iat updates regularly

*I use a Canon 5d M4 and a Canon 7D.    

*operating system is Windows 10 pro

*I keep all data on external hard drives

*Yes I have tried to synchronize the files.

*I have searched using lightroom, Bridge and explorer.

*I started a newcataloguie be the not only was the compuiter new but hard drives are new and I created a new file organization  which made the old catalogues obselete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for answers.

I am baffled. Without sitting at your computer it is hard to diagnose.

I would be looking very closely at a file that will not import to the Catalog. Find one by filename in File Explorer/Bridge and search in the Catalog for that one file.

Are there duplicates? (If a 'Copy' import was ever used there would be two versions of the files on the hard-drive. It can happen!)

Are there 'movie' files in any of the folders that will not import? (Move them to other folders separate from 'photo' files and retry import.)

Some screen-clips of error messages you see might help. eg. Clip showing a folder in Bridge with photos, and the same folder in Lightroom.

[Use the icon above a post to 'Insert Photos' ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines