Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic with Google File Stream

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I am a high school yearbook teacher using Adobe with my students within our Mac Lab. This year I have implemented using Google File Stream with my students in my yearbook class. Since we all work on the project together we need easy access to an online file stream system to access photos. We use a shared folder in Google where we place all the images in individual folders. When students (the folder is shared with them and added to their own drives) open their drive in Lightroom, they can located their drive, but they cannot see ANY shared fodlers. They also cannot see a breakdown on specific folder within the shared folder. This is causing an organizational nightmare. All the photos show up in Lightroom in one jumbled mess. Does anyone have an idea how to show the shared folders within Lightroom via Google File Stream? 

Please help this teacher in need! Thanks! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First- I have no knowledge, or use, Google File Stream, but from my research I found this-

"By default, Google Drive File Stream does not store a copy of your files on your local computer. This means that if you do not have an Internet connection, you will not be able to access these files. In order make your files accessible offline, right-click on a file or folder and select Available Offline under the Drive File Stream menu. Please note that doing so will store a copy on your computer, using up more of your hard drive space."

Lightroom-Classic requires files to be on a local connected hard-drive. So I assume  a 'Google Drive' location is not suitable.

If the files are made "Offline" then copies need to remain in each student's computer in the same Folder structure on a 'local' hard-drive, and be imported to Lightroom-Classic by the [Add] option that maintains the Folder structure.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do have Google File Stream. It is possible to have the images stored there. However, the catalog must be on the local computer. And that means it must be on each student's computer, and that isn't going to be conducive to what you are wanting to accomplish. One computer can access the catalog, and can modify the images that are stored in GFS, but no one else can have access. Unfortunately, Lightroom is not a multiuser program. Even if the images are stored in the Adobe cloud system, they would all have to be accessed through a single account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines