Highlighted

Lightroom classic

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.   Im importing an image folder into Lighroom classic, from an external hard drive, but when i exit lightroom i find that lightroom has placed the folder on my desktop. Obviously taking up valuable space on my computers main hard drive.  But if i move the folders back onto the external drive and try to access the images again later on LR  message saying image cant be found.

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom classic

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.   Im importing an image folder into Lighroom classic, from an external hard drive, but when i exit lightroom i find that lightroom has placed the folder on my desktop. Obviously taking up valuable space on my computers main hard drive.  But if i move the folders back onto the external drive and try to access the images again later on LR  message saying image cant be found.

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing from a folder (where you want the files to remain) you must use the 'ADD' option at the top of the main import window. 'ADD' will import the photos to the catalog and not change their location on the drive.

Using the 'COPY' or 'MOVE' options will place the imported photos in a 'new' location as defined in the Destination panel (in your situation -defined as the desktop!).

Now if you move the folders or photos using Finder/File Explorer, then the Lightroom catalog (database) has no knowledge of their location, showing them as 'missing'. You need to re-link the photos to the Catalog. (like correcting a friend's address in your phone contact list)

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Lightroom Queen)

MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Adobe link)

I suggest you research some tutorials on the basics of Lightroom-Classic folder and file management.

Organize and Manage Your Photos and Folders (Laura Shoe)

And obtain and read the free eBook on Lightroom-Classic here-

LIGHTROOM QUEEN HOME SCREEN -eBOOKS

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens because YOU have not reviewed all the options available and you have selected Copy or Move instead of Add at the top of the LR Import dialog window.

2020-02-04 14_29_28-Lightroom.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines