• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom color (profile) difference in development module

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue with the colors in Lightroom. The photos are displayed differently in development mode when I see them in full view or in any other mode (Fit, Fill, 1:1).

In full view the photo is displayed normal, but in any other modes, the photos look more contrasty and darker.

I have a macbook pro which is color calibrated, and this might cause the issue.

I restored the color profile back to the original in the operating system and found that in this case in LR both the 1:1 and full view photos are displayed the same way: more contrasty and darker.

It seems like in full view the actual color profile is used, but in any other development modes (fit, fill, 1:1) the factory default color profile is used.

At least it would explain why I do not experience this issue when using the original color profile. The original color profile is - by default - really off, too dark and contrasty.

LR-color-issue-in-DM.jpg

Any idea how to fix this?

thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photos are displayed differently in development mode when I see them in full view or in any other mode (Fit, Fill, 1:1).

Do you mean that there is a difference between different magnifications within Develop?

Is there also a difference between Library and Develop?

And what do you mean by "full view"? Full screen?

Please also state your exact version of Lightroom.

If you are using version 5.6, it had a bug that looks a bit like your problem - try updating to 5.7.1.

Re: My pictures become wonky when I go to Develop tab

If you are not running version 5.6, you may have a defective monitor profile.

Try setting the profile to sRGB (Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor).

If this fixes the problem, recalibrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant: in every magnification modes the colors are darker and more contrasty.
In full screen mode the colors are fine. 

Full view = full screen mode

Yes, this color difference also exist between Library and Develop.

In Library module colors are fine.

LR info:

Lightroom Classic version: 7.0.1 [ 1142117 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.11 [6]

Do you mean change the color profile in Lightroom, or in the operating system?
In the operating system I've already change back to factory default, and in that case there was no difference between modules, or between full screen mode and any other magnification in Development.
However with factory default color profile, colors are off.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean changing the monitor profile in the OS.

When Library and Develop don't match, it usually means that the monitor profile is defective or incompatible with Lightroom.

Version 4 ICC profiles are incompatible, so always choose version 2 when you calibrate.

Also choose matrix-based profile, not table-based.

See the correct answer in this thread for more details: Re: ACR and PS6 images aren't the same

Setting the monitor profile to sRGB or Adobe RGB is a way of confirming that there is a problem with the current profile.

If it fixes the problem, run the calibration again, with the parameters mentioned above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night the OS was upfraded to the 10.13.1 hoping that it would solve the issue.

Unfortunatelly it did not.
Even if I use the factory default display profile there are visible differences on the screen between Library module and Development module.

Made a screenshot of the same photo displayed in Library module and in Development module.
Factory default color profile is used, and there is a slight green tint on the Library module, while in Develompent module the picture still slightly darker and more contrasty.

Factory default - LR.jpg

If the calibrated color profile was defective, I assume it would affect every app on the machine wouldn't it?
Could it be any internal (LR related) / external (OS related) settings that could affect how LR displays the photo in different modules?

Would it help to completly uninstall LR, and then install it again?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the calibrated color profile was defective, I assume it would affect every app on the machine wouldn't it?

Only color managed applications (like Lightroom, Photoshop, InDesign, Bridge) use the monitor profile, most other apps don't.

I don't use a Mac, but would imagine that built-in apps like Preview are not color managed.

Most third party image viewers are not color managed either.

Could it be any internal (LR related) / external (OS related) settings that could affect how LR displays the photo in different modules?

The only thing that affects how LR displays photos is the monitor profile.

So why don't you try setting it to sRGB? It's quick and easy, and if it fixes the problem, recalibrate with the settings I suggested in my previous post.

Would it help to completly uninstall LR, and then install it again?

I doubt that very much. I'm pretty sure that your monitor profile is the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I got the solution.

In Lightroom Preferences/Camera Raw section just unchecked the Use Graphics Processor option and it solved the issue immediately.

Now the photos looks identical in Library and Development module even if I using my calibrated color profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad that you figured it out, I didn't consider the GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! I had this same issue, and unticking the "use graphics processor" in the settings immediately fixed the issue for me.

I was seeing a very apparent difference between Develop mode and fullscreen mode (when press the F key). Where the develop mode was had significantly more contrast, that wasn't apparent in Fullscreen view. When exporting, the file in photoshop looked like the fullscreen view, not develop - which is very frustrating.

Thanks for the tip. Can someone mark the correct answer to help others find this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. The image in Develop is radically different. Way lighter, more contrast, more saturation. I unchecked the "Use Graphics Processor" and it's still happening. When I switch back to Library, the tones go back to how they were. OK, interesting. When I open the file in Photoshop, it looks the same as when in Develop, so I guess Develop view is more accurate. I didn't see this pre-LR 2019 - or - I got a new 5K iMac at the same time as upgrading LR, so not sure which changed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking "Use Graphics Processor" works to make the colors match export, library, and develop screen images on two different computers with different brands of graphics cards.

I'd like someone to tell us all how we can have the benefits of hardware acceleration and have accurate colors when developing photos! Is there anyone guru who knows this answer? 🙂

Lightroom_Develop_Before_and_After_Colors-Wrong_Before_Editing_Default.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've raised the same issue three times already.  Please the responses given in https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/completely-different-color-in-library-a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Ian, I thought it wasn't posting and I didn't relize I was posting in different places. 'too many tabs'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines