• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Color Space Workflow Management

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering how to best solve this one. 

I'm working with Photoshop and Lightroom. Color is consistent across the two however when I export from LR to a JPG format, the color is quite different.

I get that LR/Photoshop color space is different and windows/browsers render in sRGB. I am using a calibrated display too.

Question is, what's the best way to be able to adjust images in LR whilst seeing what the final output would be?

I'd love to be able to work in sRGB if necessary but I don't think LR has this option. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

This is perfectly normal.

Windows Photos is not color managed. It cannot be trusted. That's all there is to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you have a defective monitor profile. That can affect different color managed applications differently, while applications without color management don't use the profile at all.

This has nothing to do with choice of color spaces. This isn't about document color profiles at all, but the monitor profile.

Which calibrator are you using?

Can you post side by side screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops - I read "inconsistent" between Lightroom and Photoshop, but he actually said "consistent".

Then it may just be a photo viewer without color management, such as Windows "Photos".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that your issue might be more related to image files after Export, but the below might help:

To make preview generation more friendly, try these steps:
1. Make sure Catalog Settings > File Handling > Standard Preview Size is set at 1440 (no need to make it larger for your display but this point might not apply).
2. In the Import window's File Handling, set Build Previews: Embedded & Sidecar.
3. Set the option Preferences > General > Replace Embedded Previews With Standard Previews During Idle Time.
4. Un-check the option Preferences > Performance > Generate Previews In Parallel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me try again after a false start 🙂

adrian, can you post a screenshot showing Lightroom on one side, and the photo viewer with the exported jpeg on the other? If you're using Windows "Photos", note that it is not color managed and a difference is normal and expected.

You can export from Lightroom as sRGB. If there's still a huge difference between Lightroom and the photo viewer, a screenshot should reveal the reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we go this should explain a few things.

Clockwise starting in the top left. Lightroom RAW image. Next image to the right is the same image exported using LR. Full resolution JPG using sRGB. Bottom image is the exported JPG now opened in Photoshop.

The main thing I'm trying to solve is I need to match some colours to other JPG images and it really hard to do this in LR or Photoshop if I can't see what I'm getting until I save the image and view again using Windows. The reason I need to do this is my clients will be using the images for their website as PNG or JPG.

2019-12-12_1914.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting. As I look at the image I posted above, it doesn't look anywhere near as different as when I view the screenshot file on my PC.

When I look at it, the LR and PS images are pretty much the same (at least I can't tell the difference). But the JPG using windows viewer is very different - I also opened the file with Internet Explorer and it looks the same as windows viewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link to download the screenshot image if that helps.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13A5hTVRCm-ItMZE7J7asfPcHQgJx7mMc/view?usp=sharing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is perfectly normal.

Windows Photos is not color managed. It cannot be trusted. That's all there is to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks! So how do you adjust colour in LR/PS so the resulting files which will be displayed on non color managed apps.

Is the only option to save the file then open in Windows again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't really edit images to look right in non-managed applications.  With non colour managed apps, the colour will depend on the characteristics of the monitor, which will be different for each user, every monitor and every changed monitor setting.  Even for your own use, it's not a good idea to try to match the un-managed colour of the monitor, which can change with monitor settings.  It would be like introducing an error in the colour of an image to compensate for the error in the monitor colour. Change any setting on the monitor, or change the monitor, and everything would be wrong again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't - that's what "no color management" means. All bets are off.  Without color management, how you see it is not how others see it. You have no way of knowing.

What you can do is get it right with color management. The rest is really not your problem. As long as the file is sRGB, and the profile is embedded, that's the end of your responsibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the best way of explaining that to a client then. The client really doesn't care the reasons why - they just know it's not looking right on their non-calibrated screen.  I have explained to them before that it's impossible to get it 100% right as no two screens, browsers, eyes, etc etc render color the same. It's hard to get that through though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best is to advise them to use calibrated/profiled monitors.  Failing that, suggest they use accurate sRGB monitors and send them images in sRGB colour space.  That way they would see reasonably accurate colour.  Otherwise there is no way of knowing what colours they will see.  Every non-managed computer / monitor combination is different - and unpredictable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is usually perceived as a bigger problem on the sender's end than on the receiver's end. Remember - they see everything this way. If it hasn't bothered them before, why should it start now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings...have you figured out this issue?  I am going through the exact same thing and would love some input if you resolved it.  Once I import into Lightroom the images look completely different, and then once I export they lopok completely different from what I saw in Lightroom.  This used to not be this way.  It just started happening one day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have received a defective monitor profile through Windows Update. That happens a lot. Dell, Samsung, LG, Acer and Asus are the worst offenders.

In that case, the solution is a calibrator. If you don't have one, replace the current monitor profile with sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as a temporary workaround.

What application are you viewing the exported files in? If it's not color managed (like for instance Windows "Photos") it will not be affected by a bad profile, because it's not using the profile in the first place.

Screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think using that particular profile did it! Thank you so much.  I have been dealing with this issue for like 4 months.  It's been so frustrating,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As already said, Windows Photo is NOT color managed. Hawever, Win7 photo viewer IS color managed and the good news is that you can activate it on Win10 ! See HERE

Another solution is to install and use the free utility Fastone Image Viewer wich is also color managed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines