• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom could not import this catalog because of an unknown error - Photoshop Elements 8 NAS Drive

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 to Lightroom Classic (8.4.1).

I'm receiving this error when Lightroom tries to merge the catalog: "Lightroom could not import this catalog because of an unknown error"

The process has been further complicated as the original software and photos were on an older laptop. We're using a newer laptop, but the C drive has insufficent space for the 60GB of photos. I've backed up the photos to a NAS drive, then installed Elements 8 on the newer laptop, and successfully restored the catalog.

In Lightroom I've selected "Import a Photoshop Elements Catalog". This starts a three stage process and I seem to get the error either during or at the end of stage 2.

I've had a look in the forum and a few admins have asked if the photos are stored on a NAS drive, which this is, but the posters had not used that and so it isn't clear if this is the cause of the issue or something else.

Can you assist?

Thank you

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple of other points I forgot to include:

During the restore of the catalog onto the new laptop, one photo could not be restored. It was an early version of a PSD that is no longer needed.

This PSD and around seven others that were backed up are over 1 GB in size, composite images used to make a large A1 poster. 

Not sure if these points are important, but mentioning in case.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update 20:18 (UK time)

Went back to Elements and tried moving the catalog to local C drive on new laptop. This appears to have completed successfully. However, when retrying to import catalog into Lightroom, this failed with the same error as originally posted.

I kept an eye on the steps, and it did seem to switch to step three, after step two: preparing to merge, but immediately fails with the error.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines