• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom creates duplicate drive on import

New Here ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import images into Lightroom, it creates a duplicate of the destination drive in Folders. My files are then split between the two drives, so the file structure in Lightroom is different than the file structure on the hard drive. 

For example, I group my images by year, then in subfolders by location. So if I were to import images into the 2020 folder and designate a new subfolder of "California", that is how they would import look when I look in File Exporer. In Lightroom however, Folders panel would show two drives on the same name (in my case the "I" drive). The California file would be on the top "I" drive, and the parent 2020 folder on the bottom "I" drive. I cannot drag the California folder into the 2020 folder in Lightroom as it tells me it is already there.

My work around has been to create a new subfolder in File Explorer (California 2 in this example) in the 2020 parent folder. I move all the images out of California to California 2 in File Explorer. Switching back into Lightroom, the California files are "missing", if I then direct Lightroom to find them in the California 2 folder they now appear properly as a subfolder of 2020. 

Obviously, this is a pain, and I would really like to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot of the entire left column in Library mode showing your drives and folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_Paige - that worked! It seemd complicated at first, but in truth is quite simple. Now, is there a way to keep Lightroom from doing this in the first place? It seem that the duplicat folder is created when I import photos, should I change my Import work flow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are  you using  an import preset in your workflow? You may want to give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines