Highlighted

Lightroom delete source files after canceled import

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am almost to upset to even write this. 

I was looking over soem old images and wanted to do some edits. First I see that for some reason lightroom thinks that my older imports are no longer in the catalog. I was a bit tired so I just pressed import for the images. I realize I dont have to do that, I can just add the catalog again. So I press cancel to do an add instead. I go to the folder and Lightroom have deleted all images in that catalog!!! How can this be? A full day of images from my trip in Africa, gone! Is this really how this works. In that case no more lightroom. 

Update: So I recreated the issue by doing a copy of a folder and then did the same procedure again and indeed it deletes all images. No questions asked just got rid of them. No move to bin nothing like it, just gone.

TOPICS
Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom delete source files after canceled import

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am almost to upset to even write this. 

I was looking over soem old images and wanted to do some edits. First I see that for some reason lightroom thinks that my older imports are no longer in the catalog. I was a bit tired so I just pressed import for the images. I realize I dont have to do that, I can just add the catalog again. So I press cancel to do an add instead. I go to the folder and Lightroom have deleted all images in that catalog!!! How can this be? A full day of images from my trip in Africa, gone! Is this really how this works. In that case no more lightroom. 

Update: So I recreated the issue by doing a copy of a folder and then did the same procedure again and indeed it deletes all images. No questions asked just got rid of them. No move to bin nothing like it, just gone.

TOPICS
Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 20, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that's not how it works, it doesn't work that way for anyone else; and so I assume there was some user mistake. In Lightroom, please click on All Photographs, turn off all filters and using the Lightroom Filter Bar, search by file name for one of these photos.

Also use your operating system's search feature to search by file name to find the location of the photos on your hard disk.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done that. They do not exist in any catalog, I have used Terminal to check hidden files. I have seacherd for the files. They are gone. They did exist before the canceled import, I even looked them through with Finder. They are on a separate server, they are not there. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add is that the three images that was imported are there. Rest is gone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done that. They do not exist in any catalog, I have used Terminal to check hidden files. I have seacherd for the files. They are gone. They did exist before the canceled import, I even looked them through with Finder. They are on a separate server, they are not there. 

Photos do not exist in catalogs. The catalogg is a database, not a repository.

Question is, where are your photos on your hard drives and/or NAS (if any)

When you imported the photos into your catalog, where did you select the photos to be placed? What folder on your hard drive(s) ?

Use your Operating Systems file manager to look for them.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were on a NAS and I selected the same folder but import to subfolder. 

I realize that the bin was not setup for my Archive folder on my NAS so that was my mistake probably. I have looked for them with finder and through Synology webbased interface. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suspicion is that you are opening the wrong catalog.

Use your Operating system file manager to look for other catalogs, look for files ending with .lrcat

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several occurrences that can result in a new catalog being created and opened instead of the previous opened catalog being launched.

Updated version of Lightroom Classic, that had some odd issue. Very rare, very adnormal

Resetting the preference file. Common, if not absolute

Corrupt preference file

User error in preferences settings, general

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this happen to me! I realized I was putting them in the wrong place, canceled the import, and all the files that were already imported changed to .xmp fiels and are gone. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020 1