Highlighted

Lightroom does not recognise RAW images on Canon 5D Mk iv

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to a Canon 5D Mk iv recently am trying to import the images to LR. I usually attached the camera to my Macbook Pro and import directly into LR. When I attach my 5D Mk iv, LR recognises the camera but reports no images to import.  I'm running MacOS 10.15.4 and the latest version of LR (v9.2). I am not shooting Dual Pixel RAW and can import the images if I remove the card from the camera and use a card reader instead. However, attaching the camera directly to my Macbook is my usual workflow which I would rather not change if I don't have to so any suggestions as to what's wrong would be much appreciated.

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom does not recognise RAW images on Canon 5D Mk iv

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to a Canon 5D Mk iv recently am trying to import the images to LR. I usually attached the camera to my Macbook Pro and import directly into LR. When I attach my 5D Mk iv, LR recognises the camera but reports no images to import.  I'm running MacOS 10.15.4 and the latest version of LR (v9.2). I am not shooting Dual Pixel RAW and can import the images if I remove the card from the camera and use a card reader instead. However, attaching the camera directly to my Macbook is my usual workflow which I would rather not change if I don't have to so any suggestions as to what's wrong would be much appreciated.

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a problem with Lightroom Classic not seeing images in some situations. Adobe is aware of it and is working on a fix.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 1
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan, I guess I'll just have to change my workflow until a fix is available.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either go to the Camera as listed in the folders view Source section or buy a separate Card Reader and place the cameras Memory card in the reader.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 1
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but going to camera listed in source section doesn't work as you can see from the screenshot below.  Apparently there is a fix in the pipeline so in the meantime, I will have to resort to a card reader.

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 8.35.44 am.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you only show the Source section, and part of the rest of the Import dialog window, you do not show the Destination section.

In that section make sure you have a valid folder selected as to where LR is supposed to Copy as DNG files the images from the camera.

IF there is no valid destination folder selected LR will Not show any images in the main, middle, section of the import window.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, I have attached a screenshot of the whole screen and as you will see there is a valid destination folder. This used to work perfectly with my old 6D but not with the 5D Mk iv.  Apparently, this is a known issue with Catalina and the problem is being worked on. I have since acquired a card reader and changed my workflow.  

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 9.42.44 am.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Destination section of the Right Hand Panel you do NOT have a Folder selected to Place the Copied image file to.

Do that and the images should show up. LR has a quirk that without a Proper Destination folder selected it will not show image in the center section.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, please see the screenshot below. I have a destination folder selected but LR still does not allow me to navigate to the folders on the camera. I'm just going to go with the card reader which was your original suggestion.  Thanks for your time.

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 9.55.17 pm.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
GoldingD LATEST
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In earlier screenshot, very top right, in TO, you are pointing to Ashburtin, but lower down in Destination you go deeper, what happens if the two match?

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalina and your OS and/or Lightroom, but proably the OS, cannot or willnot show a particular device or drive.

Consider File and Folders security. Consider Application rights

So, here goes a standard what if procedure

On your MAC, outside of Lightroom Classic, bring up System Preferences, select Security and Privacy, select the Privacy tab, scroll down to Files and Folders, for Lightroom Classic, and while you are at it, for Photishop, make sure all boxes are checked.

B96DCB3E-AB65-4238-80A9-95EBB9DA079E.png

https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-free/folders-permission

Might as well scroll up to Photos and make sure Lightroom Classic and Photoshop are included if you keep your catalog(s) and/or images in the Photos folder.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has full disk access so no joy there.  Apparently, this is a known issue that Adobe is working on. In any event I decided to get myself a card reader and change my workflow.  I began downloading directly from the camera a few years ago after I removed the card to download my pictures and then forgot to put the card back in the camera. I then went out later in the day and realised too late that the card was still in my laptop.  I did have a spare card in my bag but by the time I got it into the camera, I had missed the shot.  This should not be a problem now as my new 5D has 2 card slots. Thanks for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, while you are thinking about it, on the camera, in the settings, tell it to not allow a shot without card.

Maybe this stay at home has made me far far to grumpy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I've already done that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0