• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Encountered an Error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the above error message. I've had this happen consistently over the last few days.

Thanks

Bill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to purge the cache yet? If not the settings are here: Preferences>Performance>Purge Cache

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmgap  wrote

Have you tried to purge the cache yet? If not the settings are here: Preferences>Performance>Purge Cache

The Camera Raw cache contains the Develop previews, and purging it will not fix this problem.

The error message refers to the Library previews, which reside in the same folder as the Lightroom catalog.

It displays as a folder on Windows, and, I believe, as a file on a Mac. It has the same name as the catalog, and ends with  Previews.lrdata – [Catalog name] Previews.lrdata

​Deleting it should fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses - the solution worked for a couple of sessions then the same problem occurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the solution worked for a couple of sessions then the same problem occurred.

If the same problem keeps happening, then your hard disk is malfunctioning and you probably ought to replace it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

billd29299514  wrote

Thanks for the responses - the solution worked for a couple of sessions then the same problem occurred.

You have some type of hardware problem. In a newer post you said you replaced the SSD in your system. Is that the only drive in your computer?

Is that SSD where the catalog is stored? The Previews Cache folder is stored in a subfolder in the same folder the catalog is stored in.

If that is not on the SSD that you replaced then that could be the problem. The drive that holds the catalog file and the preview files is going bad.

If the SSD is the only drive in your system then it is more than likely a RAM problem or possibly the CPU is overheating and causing bad writes to the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have replaced the hardrive (SSD drive) and I'm still experiencing the same cache problem - the problem is getting worse the more I use Lightroom (I've been importing pictures and within 5 minutes Lightroom closes the application with the same cache notice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, some very basic questions:

1. Is the disk you replaced the disk where the previews are stored?
  2. How did you restore the LR catalog and previews? (Please give step-by-step description)
  3. Have you run diagnostics on this disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would post my solution in case anyone else has this same issue. I was having this same issue even after deleting the folder multiple times. I guess a while back I locked down some specific directories for protection through "Controlled folder access" settings in Windows 10. You can either disable this protection by turning it off or you can allow the Lightroom.exe file through controlled folder access. These settings can all be found if you press your start button and type "Ransomware Protection". It should pop up as an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines