Highlighted

Lightroom - Errors doing simple Rename and Moving of files

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community 

(This post has been modified from the original to clarrify my issue some of the initial replies may now be out of context)

I've recorded my issue for Clarrity (replication is hard often so this is just a quick few simple examples that I was able to resolve , i'm not always able to work around it) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T10d5ZTGl6w&feature=youtu.be

Imagine dealing with this thousands of times a day.

I'm in the process of organsing hundreds of Lightroom catalogs preparing them so they are tidy before importing them into a final master catalog.

Something that has bugged me for a long time is now causing me issues constantly.

I have to repeat my actions thousands of times because of the poor management of errors during file management from within adobe lightroom classic.

Here are the major issues for the user experince :

1.  The error dialogs that prompt are not descriptive enough

2.  By repeating the step it usually works, sometimes after 4-5 attempts making the drag, click error, wait, repeat frustrating.

3.  I belive most of the errors are caused by lightroom itself.

As we all know moving files and renaming folders via lightroom is the best practice as it keeps the catalog linked correctly to the file. (Yes you can do this via the file system and I have been doing that when lightroom refuses to move a folder i HAVE to do it in windows explorer.)

Constant Errors means its easier to goto the operating system and move a folder and relink because lightroom refuses to do it with an "non descriptive" error message.

My guesses as to what causes Lightroom to not move files:

1. File is in use by other applications. (Rarely if ever the case, antivirus and othe factors considered if this was the case, lightroom could prompt to notify, or allow us to "retry" action rather than making us repeat it.

2. Lightroom using file for "thumbnail building or having files selected"

This seems to be the most frequent cause and most painful.

Example and Work arounds:

Not selecting any files (Ctrl-D) Deselct all - can allow renaming of folders and files often after a prompt that it can't be done. Clearly lightroom has the file open, by default the first file gets selected so this will error almost 99% of the time you try and rename a folder.

Why not prompt "We cant rename because you have a file selected, would you like to unselect all files and rename folder", - Check box for always yes. 

Another work around for moving files and renaming folders is to not select the folder you want to rename so imagine you want to rename folder A, select folder B and without selecting folder A again right click and rename it.

The other thing this shows is that lightroom isn't "waiting" for its other threads to release a file and we are getting an error becaues the files are inuse for some reason. I really feel like this would be a simple solution, a retry button could fix it 90% of the time.

So far i'm 9 days into this project and the horrendous handling of basic errors from lightroom has been driving me crazy, just to rename folders and files. 

I'd love to know why this has been a problem for so long.

Anyone else had this issue or can offer advice please let me know i'm clicking OK on the Cannot rename files , and Cannot move folder" error messages hundres and hundreds of times a day. 

Rob

- Windows 10, Always on Latest version 

- Lightroom Classic always on Latest version.
- Problem has been around for at least 3 years and happens on many variety of laptops and desktops.

Topics

Bug, Feature request, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom - Errors doing simple Rename and Moving of files

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community 

(This post has been modified from the original to clarrify my issue some of the initial replies may now be out of context)

I've recorded my issue for Clarrity (replication is hard often so this is just a quick few simple examples that I was able to resolve , i'm not always able to work around it) 

Imagine dealing with this thousands of times a day.

I'm in the process of organsing hundreds of Lightroom catalogs preparing them so they are tidy before importing them into a final master catalog.

Something that has bugged me for a long time is now causing me issues constantly.

I have to repeat my actions thousands of times because of the poor management of errors during file management from within adobe lightroom classic.

Here are the major issues for the user experince :

1.  The error dialogs that prompt are not descriptive enough

2.  By repeating the step it usually works, sometimes after 4-5 attempts making the drag, click error, wait, repeat frustrating.

3.  I belive most of the errors are caused by lightroom itself.

As we all know moving files and renaming folders via lightroom is the best practice as it keeps the catalog linked correctly to the file. (Yes you can do this via the file system and I have been doing that when lightroom refuses to move a folder i HAVE to do it in windows explorer.)

Constant Errors means its easier to goto the operating system and move a folder and relink because lightroom refuses to do it with an "non descriptive" error message.

My guesses as to what causes Lightroom to not move files:

1. File is in use by other applications. (Rarely if ever the case, antivirus and othe factors considered if this was the case, lightroom could prompt to notify, or allow us to "retry" action rather than making us repeat it.

2. Lightroom using file for "thumbnail building or having files selected"

This seems to be the most frequent cause and most painful.

Example and Work arounds:

Not selecting any files (Ctrl-D) Deselct all - can allow renaming of folders and files often after a prompt that it can't be done. Clearly lightroom has the file open, by default the first file gets selected so this will error almost 99% of the time you try and rename a folder.

Why not prompt "We cant rename because you have a file selected, would you like to unselect all files and rename folder", - Check box for always yes. 

Another work around for moving files and renaming folders is to not select the folder you want to rename so imagine you want to rename folder A, select folder B and without selecting folder A again right click and rename it.

The other thing this shows is that lightroom isn't "waiting" for its other threads to release a file and we are getting an error becaues the files are inuse for some reason. I really feel like this would be a simple solution, a retry button could fix it 90% of the time.

So far i'm 9 days into this project and the horrendous handling of basic errors from lightroom has been driving me crazy, just to rename folders and files. 

I'd love to know why this has been a problem for so long.

Anyone else had this issue or can offer advice please let me know i'm clicking OK on the Cannot rename files , and Cannot move folder" error messages hundres and hundreds of times a day. 

Rob

- Windows 10, Always on Latest version 

- Lightroom Classic always on Latest version.
- Problem has been around for at least 3 years and happens on many variety of laptops and desktops.

Topics

Bug, Feature request, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit puzzled by your story. You say that you are in the process of merging catalogs, but then you talk about dragging files and renaming folders. If you want to merge catalogs, then you must use the menu 'Import from Another Catalog'.

By the way: this is a user-to-user forum. If you want to report something to Adobe, it's better to use https://feedback.photoshop.com.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated the original post with a video link showing the problem and more carefully described why i'm doing this and why its now a problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As we all know moving files and renaming folders via lightroom is the best practice as it keeps the catalog linked correctly to the file."

If you are doing large amounts of moving files around, it is better to do this in your operating system, and then re-link following these instructions: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

An alternative to the whole moving files around thing, which may or may not work in your situation, is to leave the photo files where they are and then achieve organization using Lightroom tools such as keywords and other metadata.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes , i have been using that technique, i'm aware of the various ways to work around the bug.

A - Export XMP data , move files with side cars and then resync

B - Move whole folder and  relink folder (I use this often when lightroom refuses to "move a folder" and won't tell me why.

I've attached a video to the first post to highlight my experience.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"A - Export XMP data , move files with side cars and then resync"

XMP is unnecessary, no need to move the sidecar files at all, just move the photo using your operating system and re-link (not resync)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that was option B.  

Point is SHOULD NOT have to resort to that. See my video and welcome to my world where one step becomes 40 because of lazy and poor application programming and file management.

I'm starting to work out where the problem is its definatly caused by lightroom itself.

Thanks for attempting to help but unfortunatly i'm not looking for more workarounds just the program to be fixed.

Rob.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current Workaround to this problem:

Workaround so far for me is to use a Filter that matches no files when doing the editing, example I don't use the "White" label at all so i just enable that and work on my files as much as possible it still gives a lot of errors but much less, i also copy the name of the folder if i'm creating one to clipboard to if it errors (when it errors) i don't have to type it out again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines