• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom export file size: why so small? How can I maximize image quality?

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My image file sizes are much smaller after editing and exporting through Lightroom. Is it impossible to maintain original file size to preserve image quality? Will this smaller file size have negative impact on prints? Any help is appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 19, 2014 Dec 19, 2014

File size is not an indicator of image quality! You are looking at the wrong measure.

File size is determined by the number of pixels you have, the quality slider in the Export dialog box, and about a dozen other things, most of which you can't control.

You want to look at the number of pixels (height and width) and not the file size.

Is it impossible to maintain original file size to preserve image quality?

Not only is it impossible, it is also meaningless (see above)

Will this smaller file size

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 114 Replies 114
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Poste‌ and awrymag

You have to stop saying you have the same problem. You don't. You have different problems.

Poste says

The exported Jpegs are very small. I have gone back and "re-exported" an old file without changing anything in the RAW file and Lightroom exports the new export at a much smaller Jpeg file size. Exact same RAW file, exact same settings, nothing changed and the file is exported as a much smaller JPEG.

You have to give us details. How big is the file in megapixels (or pixels width and height), and how big is the exported photo in megapixels (or pixels width and height). I don't care about the megabytes, that is meaningless, as discussed in many places.

Poste says:

I cannot get a large file to print from.

You have to give us details. How big do you want to print?

Your example using megabytes says NOTHING about whether or not you can print from the file. You MUST specify megapixels (or pixels width and height). I also note, Poste, that you haven't answered my question "Can you look at this exported 3MB at state clearly in detail what about the photo is now low quality?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a response because I have the same problem lately with Lightroom  before they used to export in the maximum to my photo gallery in Google ,and now beside how samall they are  the photo also appear blurry I always take my photos in raw ,I am wonder Who can help us ?because lightroom never have the right answer ,Thanks,Rebeca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what do you mean by small?

Show us an example of blurry. Show us a screen capture of your export dialog box settings under Image Sizing.

Give us some actual details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Fujifilm XT1  my camera has 16 megapixels and shot them 100% HD exported to the maximun is 100% in lightroom , or even go first so but not as clear before they see an extended and when the second time press the photo are small and blurry faces can not be seen clearly ,as the resolution could do before, I'm very frustrated Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what do you mean by small?

Show us an example of blurry. Show us a screen capture of your export dialog box settings under Image Sizing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind my lightroom delete all my photos, I have som and it said this failed can not been found good job

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

POSTE- did you ever find out what was causing this? or how to solve it I have the same exact problem.

I import a 10.3MB RAW image, dont make any edits and it exports as a 2.3MB JPEG

I import the same exact image 5.5MB JPEG format, dont make any edits  and export it comes out as a 6.6MB JPEG (a little more is added due to metadata I presume)

All my export settings are high full quality , 300 etc etc....

I cant give my client a 2.3Mb jpeg they cant print higher than 11x12 print with that....everywhere they take it to print it says too small to make a cnavas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brandihillcom,

First you are replying to a forum post from 2015!  dj_paige will still be around to provide exactly the same correct answer to your post as marked 'Correct' in this thread.

Second- the answers have been given and are still correct!

MegaBYTE size has no (perhaps I should say "very little")  relationship to image quality.

MegaPIXELS is all important to have image pixel dimensions that will print at a suitable PPI.

JPGs (from RAW) have reduced bit size (JPGs are 8bit. RAWS & TIFFs can be 16bit). JPGS are always compressed to some degree no matter what "quality" you export at.

JPG compression can depend on the detail content in an image. (detailed=large JPG. no detail=small JPG)

A 2.3MB JPG from a 10.3MB RAW is NOT unusual.

JPG exported from a JPG can exhibit a size increase in some circumstances- both metadata, and adding compression on top of compression can do weird things to quality.

JPG COMPRESSION EXPLAINED by Jeffrey Friedl

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue in Bridge. I also am a professional photographer selling stock through iStock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you need to ask in the Bridge Forum here.

Bridge and Lightroom are very different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me, had larger files (24mb), did a couple minor changes and now the file size after export is 2mb? Did not change any of the export settings. Seems very wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad to have seen this. I have been using Lightroom since its initial inception and only recently experiencing this same problem. My megapixels (width and height) are now significantly smaller than prior exports on the same images (megapixels width and height). This is quite disconcerting. Of course I have checked to make sure the image quality is 100%....etc. etc.....and all the usual things. Although it disrupts my workflow and creates many more additional steps, the only solution I have found is... instead of simply exporting files as jpegs......I am now exporting as DNG's and then opening with Photoshop, then saving as a Jpeg. The file size remains consistent for what it should be this way. I certainly hope that Lightroom fixes this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's clarify something. Width and height are not reported in Lightroom in megapixels, but rather pixels. Are you saying that the pixel dimensions of the exported JPEG image  are less than the pixel dimensions in the original image? The only way that can happen is if you are resizing the image. If I export a raw image with no image sizing options selected, the pixel dimensions of the exported JPEG are precisely the same as the original raw file. However, the megapixel size of the JPEG file is significantly smaller than the megapixel size of the raw file. Converting to DNG and then exporting as JPEG should have no impact. And from what you indicated, you are comparing file size, not pixel dimensions of the image. The JPEG image will always be smaller than the raw file. The DNG file will be smaller, so it will make it appear that the conversion is more "normal". But it seems to me that you are comparing two different things, pixel dimensions and file size. And those comparisons are invalid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seascape Portraits wrote:

I am glad to have seen this. I have been using Lightroom since its initial inception and only recently experiencing this same problem. My megapixels (width and height) are now significantly smaller than prior exports on the same images (megapixels width and height). This is quite disconcerting. Of course I have checked to make sure the image quality is 100%....etc. etc.....and all the usual things. Although it disrupts my workflow and creates many more additional steps, the only solution I have found is... instead of simply exporting files as jpegs......I am now exporting as DNG's and then opening with Photoshop, then saving as a Jpeg. The file size remains consistent for what it should be this way. I certainly hope that Lightroom fixes this problem.

Well honestly, exporting as DNG and then using Photoshop is unnecessary.

If your width and height in pixels are now different than the original size of the photo, there are two possible causes:

1. Cropping the photo
  2. Checking "Resize to Fit" in the export dialog box.

To get the exact same width and height in pixels as the original photo, you do not crop and you do not check "Resize to Fit". It's that simple.

By the way, the quality slider has nothing to do with the height and width in pixels of your exported photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I just came up with an even better solution.....Create an export Preset in which you increase the file size to the megapixels that you desire. If you are putting them in an online store, have some standard size presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an export Preset in which you increase the file size to the megapixels that you desire

Increasing image size? Is that really what you want to do?

I think increasing image size is a poor choice. This causes Lightroom to interpolate (in other words, make up) pixels. The best solution, to get the maximum quality, is to work with the pixels you already have and UNcheck "Resize to Fit", then every pixel in your edited photo is exported, with no need to make up pixels to increase the image size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem - thank you for the tip - re saving as a DNG - works perfect when I do that - as a jpg was going from a 17mb file to a 1.7mb file. Many thanks.

Maree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you want to check is be sure the link is not broken. Right click the mouse and choose "reveal in finder". If the link is not correct - you will be exporting the preview - hence small size. Repair the link and the export size (pixel dimensions) should match what you see in the metadata window in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2015 Apr 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I too have been experiencing this problem. For the past 2 weeks, having not changed any settings, my jpgs are exporting as tiny files with a significant loss in image quality. my settings were:

resize to fit 500px short edge

no limit on file size

quality slider at 100%

resolution 1200pixels/cm

This would give me a good balance between image quality and a decent sized JPG. File sizes ranged from 3-8MB. As of 2 weeks ago, the file size has dropped to below 27kb,using the same settings, and the resolution & image quality are terrible. Unticking the resize to fit box solves the resolution and image quality issue, makes the file bigger again so I can happily zoom in and out, but doesn't solve the initial mystery of why everything suddenly went haywire in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2015 Apr 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a small image, and if you're viewing it at more than 100% magnification, it will look bad. At 200%, half of the pixels you see will have to be invented by the computer by interpolation. To evaluate image quality, always view at 100%.

When you export an image, consider what you want to use it for, and size it accordingly.

resolution 1200pixels/cm

Whatever number you enter in the resolution field has no impact on quality, until you print the image.

Ppi (or ppcm) is metadata used to calculate print size, and also affects print quality. Pixel dimensions divided by ppi equals print dimensions in inches.

If you want to export for print, enter print dimensions in inches or cm, and the correct ppi for your printer in the export dialog.

File sizes ranged from 3-8MB

File size won't tell you the quality of a jpg  - pixel dimensions and the quality setting in the export dialog will. Compression will vary, depending on subject matter. Flat areas, like an even blue sky, will compress well, whereas detailed areas, like a forest floor, will not compress well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2015 Apr 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video may help–Jump to 3:20 here:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-5/lightroom-5-exporting-ima...

gomagoti wrote:

no limit on file size

quality slider at 100%

resolution 1200pixels/cm

The mistake made in the above settings is that 'Resolution' has no effect on resizing unless 'Resize to Fit' is set for 'in' or 'cm' and NOT pixels. For the above settings 500px 'Short Edge' over-rides the Resolution setting. The file's EXIF Resolution metadata field is simply written with the value '1200.' This may in fact cause issues if the target application is expecting a different Resolution value. A 100 Quality setting greatly inflates the file size and there's almost never a need to use a setting higher than 80. The only exception is if you're Exporting a JPEG file that's going to be edited further–Then 100 Quality will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue - my original file was 5760 × 3840 raw, and after I converted to jpeg with Lightroom 5, it became 2560 × 1707 all of a sudden, even though I selected 100% quality when I exported. Then I found out what I accidentally did to cause this. What I did, was that I accidentally moved the raw file to another folder, so Lightroom didn't recognized the raw file, and made the jpeg from the preview image. After I figured this out and moved the raw file back to where it was, I successfully made a 5760 × 3840 jpeg.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2015 Jun 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was my problem solved!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you. simple solution. it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines