Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Export Tiff to Jpeg

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi?

When I export my Tiff files in LR to Jpeg, LR would appear to be applying some sort of pre-set resulting in my Jpeg's being over saturated etc etc. I CANNOT understand why this is happening ?
Any thoughts would be appreciated. This is driving me mad!   

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I raised this issue on another forum - Is it the Tiff have been saved as 16bit Adobe RGB (1998) and the Jpeg as SRGB. Would this cause issues? Should I use Adobe RGB (1998) when exporting to Jpeg?

Appreciate most printers require sRGB profile at what point should they be converted to sRGB from Adobe etc etc if this is the issue?

Thanks in anticipation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it the Tiff have been saved as 16bit Adobe RGB (1998) and the Jpeg as SRGB. Would this cause issues? Should I use Adobe RGB (1998) when exporting to Jpeg?

The document profile is not the problem here. Adobe RGB and sRGB should display identically in color managed applications.

(the exception is colors in Adobe RGB that cannot be reproduced in sRGB, but it would certainly not cause increased saturation)

Only use Adobe RGB for exporting if the recipient has specifically asked for it, otherwise use sRGB.

Appreciate most printers require sRGB profile at what point should they be converted to sRGB from Adobe etc etc if this is the issue?

This is not the issue either, but you do the conversion when exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely, you have a wide gamut monitor, and are viewing the jpgs in a non-color managed application.

Some web browsers (Internet Explorer and Edge) are not color managed, as well as most image viewers.

So when you have this type of monitor, using color managed applications only to view your work is a must.

How are you viewing the jpgs? And are you on Mac or Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per

iMac 4K Retina Display. I sue Datacolour Spyder 5 to claibrate the monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You still haven't told what application you're using to view the exported jpgs, but you do have a wide gamut display, so the over saturation is caused by using a non-color managed application to view the jpgs.

Lightroom (as well as Photoshop and Bridge) is color managed, and uses the monitor profile (which you have created by calibration) to display images correctly.

Most other applications do not use the monitor profile, and will inevitably display images over saturated on wide gamut displays.

So to view the jpgs correctly, you have to use a color managed application, such as Bridge.

There are a couple of color managed third party image viewers for Windows (Irfanview and ACDSee), and I see that ACDSee now have a beta for Mac. ACDSee Photo Studio for Mac Beta - ACD Systems

Other than that, i'm not familiar with Mac software, but maybe somebody else has other suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines