• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom fails after a number of metadata edits

New Here ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm photographing a large wine cellar collection and taking three photos of each bottle.  I want to title each photo with the same wine name.  I try to do this by selecting the three matched photos, and pasting in the "official" name of the wine into the title, return, and answer yes to the multi photo question.  This always works, but, when I move the selection to the next photo and then select it and the next two photos, I eventually have a problem.  The cycle goes well at the start, but starts to slow down and after three to ten sets are done, the program seems to get caught in some sort of loop.  The focus shifts to my second monitor, back to the photo I'm trying to select, somewhere else, etc,etc.  I tried just leaving it run for a couple of hours to let it clear, but to no avail.  My only solution is to keep hitting the X in the upper right corner over and over, until it seems to catch Lightroom between steps of its loop.  Restarting Lightroom fixes the problem, but starts the cycle count down until it happens again. The problem also shows up when I try to stack the three images, and select another set to stack.  In this case, I usually can make it through a higher number before it gets caught in the same loop.  In both cases, if I wait after selecting the first  new photo, but before selecting the second and third, I increase the time to the program getting caught in its loop.  This doesn't seem to prevent it, just seems to allow me to get more sets completed.  I'm running an I7 system with 64GB of RAM and with both an NVMe boot drive and an SSD data drive.  System performance in all other areas of Lightroom seems to be fine.  Any guidance will be appreciated.  

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020
Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 580 (23.20.790.512)

So for the GPU, your installed driver is

Version ? (Windows Driver Store Version 23.20.790.512) Release Date 2/14/2018, maybe 2017?

I suspect a newer version exist, not an AMD user, so might interpet incorrectly, but I suspect current:

Version 19.50.29.27 (Windows Driver Store Version 26.20.15029.27016) Release Date 4/23/2020.

You should check, you probably have a AMD or Dell (is this a Dell) utility to check fir and update

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, all that should be happening is a few records in the database being changed, no previews to create/recreate, no CACHE to wright, no pixels to be created to show on monitor. Nothing stomping upon resources, not RAM, not CPU, not VRAM, not GPU processor, not very much to Hard Drive.

Problem with Catalog?

Will optimizing catalog help?

Will inspecting integrity (preferably upon opening catalog) help? Hurt? Be sure to have backup. Do not accomplish as part if backup.

Issue continue in a new catalog?

Problem with preference file? Have you reset it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And standard inquiry

Please post your system information as lightroom reports it, Include all info from first line down to and including plug-in info.

/Help/System Info/Copy/

Paste into reply, do not attach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, from another post. Even though your problem is occurring within Library module, not Develop, where GPU issues might arise. Does it misbehave only if 

Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" >

is on? Does it behave better if off?

see

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lr-classic-8-3-1-crashing-after-modifying-large-amo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And an odd one, are you wrighting metadata to XMP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big Thanks to davidg36166309!  Things seem to be back to normal.  I changed two things and that appears to have made the problem go away.  I may try to see which one was the culprit, maybe not!  To answer David's questions --

1. Catalog seems to be fine.
  2. Optimizing didn't help.
  3. The only integrity check I know about is done when I exit and it's done with the backup.  No problems have been indentified.
  4. I tried a new catalog without fixing the problem.
  5. I reset the preference file by renaming the old one.  This was one of the two things I changed.
  6. I did turn off the graphics processor, which had been set to auto.  I think this may have been the culprit.  I do notice that 1:1 previews now render more slowly.  Not much, but noticeable.
  7. I had previously turned off writing to an XMP file with no change.
  8. And for the system info -

Lightroom Classic version: 9.2.1 [ 202004070813-7699d98a ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition

Version: 10.0.18363

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3.6 GHz

SqLite Version: 3.30.1

Built-in memory: 65439.3 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 65439.3 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 8019.5 MB (12.2%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 8439.4 MB

GDI objects count: 1072

USER objects count: 3861

Process handles count: 4066

Memory cache size: 3562.4MB

Internal Camera Raw version: 12.2.1 [ 415 ]

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 1623MB / 32719MB (4%)

Camera Raw real memory: 1625MB / 65439MB (2%)

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 2560x1080, 2) 1050x1680, 3) 1920x1080

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic

Library Path: C:\Users\rlamb\Lightroom\Cellar Project\Cellar Project.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\rlamb\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) AdobeStock

2) Aurora HDR 2018

3) ColorChecker CameraCalibration

4) Facebook

5) Flickr

6) HDR Efex Pro 2

7) Luminar 2018

8) Nikon Tether Plugin

9) SmugMug

Again, thanks for the suggestions and time!  I ran through a batch of 87 pictures pasting titles as fast as i could, and then immediately grouped them.  All went without issue.  Couldn't see any slowdown from start to finish.  Like I said above, I did notice some slowdown in rendering 1:1 previews, but the time lost is nothing compared with the time lost with crashes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics Processor Info:

So for the GPU, your installed driver is

Version ? (Windows Driver Store Version 23.20.790.512) Release Date 2/14/2018, maybe 2017?

I suspect a newer version exist, not an AMD user, so might interpet incorrectly, but I suspect current:

Version 19.50.29.27 (Windows Driver Store Version 26.20.15029.27016) Release Date 4/23/2020.

You should check, you probably have a AMD or Dell (is this a Dell) utility to check fir and update. Newer GPU drivers can solve Lightroom problems. Newer GPU drivers can provide better oerformance, might even fix Lightroo use Graphics Processor issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the computer is a Dell 8920.  According to Dell there were no driver updates available, but the AMD website offered up an upgrade.  It installed without issue, except that the AMD software wanted to grab a number of hotkeys.  After I found those and turned them off everything seems to be fixed in Lightroom.  Working with GPU acceleration turned on.  Overall performance seems to be improved.  Thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, looks like a desktop, not a laptop, not a all in one, running WIN 10

see tip 8 in:

https://au.pcmag.com/windows-10-1/5180/11-tips-to-speed-up-windows-10

Will ramp up power use, so not so great on a laptop, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And this is for NVIDIA, not sure if AMD has something similar, also not for laptops, etc

https://www.winhelp.info/boost-lightroom-performance-on-systems-with-nvidia-graphics-chip.html

If someone has a proper link for tweeking power setting on Radeon, could they post? And what are the cautions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines