• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom glitches on brand new hp spectre x360 (2019)

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Few days ago I decided to purchase a new laptop to make photo editing more manageable. I settled on the HP spectre x360 that has has at least the minimum requirements to run Lightroom (the primary app I use) but have been experiencing some annoying issues out of the box. HP support came to the conclusion that some compatibility issues were arising with my graphics card and the GPU processor/acceleration function on adobe lightroom, and came up with the resolution of using the CPU intel processor. 

I'm a bit frustrated because according to the adobe website my graphics card, Nvidia mx150, should be supported and function properly (newer than 2014) but whenever I have acceleration turned ON in lightroom my screen goes completely black from a half a second-a second and then experiences glitches such as not letting me click on photos to edit or commonly whiting out the filmstrip bar making editing extremely inefficient and frustrating. 

Everything should be up to date, I even had HP support go through and double check and was gonna take it in to double check as well. I'm just wondering if I should even invest in more time or possibly return the laptop and choose something else. I'm torn because otherwise its great and the display alone makes for better editing of photos. 

Is it not better to edit using the GPU as its more powerful? I don't want to keep using the intel and CPU if its going to overwork my laptop. Should I go directly to nvidia with this problem since its specifically with their graphics card? 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  HP doesn't seem to have a clue on how to fix the issue either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite what HP Techs may have looked at..

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic reports it. In Lightroom click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that into a reply.

Inersested in info starting at first line down to just past plug-in info. Info after that not so helpful to non super techs.

Also, perhaps a screenshot from LRC Preferences, the performance tab, what is LRC showing if you do have that on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using GPU for  acceleration, does not relate to more power, it can relate to using VRAM fir performance improvements involving pixal creation in previews. And it is meant for 4K. If you are not running in 4K resolution, it might not improve anything.

A typical solution for odd graphics issues is to turn the GPU acceleration in LRC off and see what happens.

/EDIT, following based on an incorrect read of your posting/

LRC typically does not support Graphics acceleration when the onboard integrated graphics controller is used. Would not be surprised if you look at your LRC preferences that you find LRC has turned that off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this will help performance on your particular NVIDIA chip. And be aware this ramps up power use so have this laptop plugged in if implimenting. I doubt that it will solve your primary issue.

https://www.winhelp.info/boost-lightroom-performance-on-systems-with-nvidia-graphics-chip.html

/Followup/ If when you look in LRC  preferences and for GPU acceleration it states that only basic is supported, 2 things, you are not benefiting from use GPU  acceleration. And, doing the above might change that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And some homework:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html

https://photographylife.com/gpu-acceleration-in-lightroom

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-performance-debunking-myths/

By the way, typical Adobe sys requirements are typically minimum requirements just to get LRC to run, some capabilities like GPU acceleration may need better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as you are running Windows OS, see tip 8 in:

https://au.pcmag.com/windows-10-1/5180/11-tips-to-speed-up-windows-10

But be aware this will ramp up power use, so plug that laptop in, and watch for excessive fan/cooling use

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent about 4 hours on the phone with adobe the last week.  The final conclusion was that the HP Spectre has duel graphics cards and Lightroom is trying to access both of them when doing diffent things.  When we deactivated NVIDIA the program finally started working and I could edit photos.  However, when I tried to export by Raw edited photos as Jpegs the computer repeated crashed.  HP Spectre doesn't work with Lightroom at the moment. We tried deleting the Lightroom updates and that didn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, when I tried to export by Raw edited photos as Jpegs the computer repeated crashed.

Computer crashing is caused by one of the following:

• Hardware malfunction
  • Bad/corrupted/out-of-date driver

If it happens repeatedly when you are exporting, a possibility is that the laptop is overheating. You might, as an experiment, export just a few photos at a time to see if that makes the problem go away. Is the laptop extremely warm when this crash happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most laptops have two GPUs (Intel & Nvidia) with the lower power Intel GPU used when AC power is disconnected. So this is not unique to your laptop. I suggest contacting HP Tech Support. It may be defective or require a driver update, which they should be able to advise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines