• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom having difficulties with file name change

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not lost any data. However thought I should report that somehow after I changed the name of a folder lightroom seems to be unable to find it., When asked to find it, I have no difficulty though somehow lightroom starts off in the wrong year. However on my hard drive the folder is there with the same spelling as I have in lightroom. However when I select it , somehow Lightroom doesn't seem to be able to link up to it even after waiting for 30 minutes.   I should mention that the folder is quite large with 5000 entries, and that I have been doing quite major changes on it removing duplicate files and simplifying the data structure in it. I assume that in time it will sort itself out and I know that I haven't lost anything.

thanks

Sockit

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you change the folder name in Lightroom Classic or in your operating system? Please provide this critical information.

However when I select it , somehow Lightroom doesn't seem to be able to link up to it even after waiting for 30 minutes.

What does this mean? How do you select it? Give us the exact step-by-step that you used.

Can you show us screen captures of what you see in your operating system and in Lightroom Classic? (Please use the "Insert Photos" icon; do not attach files)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sockit_0-1617306204379.png

sockit_1-1617306310602.png

sockit_2-1617306612716.png.

I apologise for pasting into this note I was unable to past into a photo to add in the way you requested.  there are 3 images. the first of the folder apparently missing. the next one show the result of using lightroom to search for it which shows that lightroom goes to the wrong year.  they last one shows that when i direct the search to the right year that the folder is present. However if I click on it lightroom goes back to its original errror.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been doing some reorganizing that involves folders with large numbers of subfolders and images, and I think I've seen the same thing. I rename a folder in Lightroom Classic, and Lightroom Classic displays the question mark icon and acts like it lost track of the folder.

@sockit wrote:

I assume that in time it will sort itself out and I know that I haven't lost anything.

When I’ve seen this, it does seem to sort itself out after a while on its own. But other times it still seems confused after several minutes, so I then quit Lightroom Classic, immediately open it again with the same catalog, and it somehow reconnects to the same renamed folder right away. So far, I have not seen this result in a permanent disconnection. But it does seem like a bug of some kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad

Thanks for your reply   I did just that and restarting the folder was labelled and addressed  correctly. It seemed that Lightroom just completely lost track at that point even though its actions were all correct. However can I ask you about something else that happened? Restarting light room in this setting seemed to have changed some of the basic settings.namely,

1)   I found that the labels that I am  putting on my slides are now no longer being displayed. What I have been doing is editing one of the addresses in the metadata with a title.

2)   When I try to edit a picture,  lightroom seems to thing I am going to print it,  and  it suddenly switches on a white background for proofing. It makes it difficult to edit and view the image.

I have no idea how to reverse these actions. So perhaps that restart was more fundamental than it seemed. Could you tell me what I need to do to correct these changes.

Thanks

Sockit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t know what’s going on with #1 there. When my name disconnection problem resolved itself, I didn’t see any negative effects. But maybe I just haven’t noticed yet.

With #2, that sounds a lot like the Develop module was put into Soft Proof mode. You can try toggling it (View > Soft Proofing > Show Proof). It might have been triggered accidentally if at some point you pressed the S key, which is the shortcut for that command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad  Thanks for your comment. Your mention of the S key explains to me what I did. I find that my print screen key for Windows 10 no longer works.The substitute is  windowsKey Shift S which I was flailing around trying during my effort to report the problem.

Thanks for your help I seem to learn only by running into walls.

Sockit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Windows 10 has been moving screen captures to the newer Snip & Sketch application. Although it uses Windows + Shift + S by default, that application has a Settings menu there where you can make it use your PrintScreen key to do a screen capture.

I’m not sure why Microsoft moved away from the Print Screen key, but it might have to do with adapting Windows to devices where there is no Print Screen key, and maybe not even any keys at all, if it’s a touchscreen or tablet. Maybe I’m an example; I left the Snip & Sketch shortcut on Windows + Shift + S because I run Windows only occasionally through a virtual machine on my Mac laptop, which has no Print Screen key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines