• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom images look VERY different after exporting.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,
I am a wedding photographer and web developer quite okay with colour spaces. So here is my problem. 
Adobe Lightroom Classic is using Adobe Colour profile for my images but when I export the images the image looks totally different. Before you think I am a newbi here is what I have done so far. 

1. I understand colour space differences. I also used the soft proofing option within LR with sRGB profile to see how it will look. Soft proofing and develop module gives me the same look, but after exporting is totally oversaturated. 
2. I am using my Dell Ultrasharp Premier Colour monitor calibrated to perfection and I am using the monitor in sRGB mode. 
3. The exported image is oversaturated compared to LR on ANY DEVICEs. So I export the image, and that images looks exactly the same oversaturated on Iphone, Ipad, Samsung phones, and laptops. 
4. I have the same version of Lightroom on my laptop, and if I export it there, it does not alter the settings. I use the same version on the lightroom and my monitor for laptop is also calibrated.
5. I am not applying any user preset upon export. 
6. Uploading the exported srgb files and using it on the web looks just as oversaturated than viewing it on my computer.

IT IS definitely an issue with Lightroom but I cannot crack it. 
I know many people have this issue but someone is always trying to come and explain why things looks different on different devices, and that the application they are using and not colour profiled and all that jazz but this WAS NOT the case 1 year ago. 

When I exported the images on the same computer a year ago they did look the exact same way in Developer Module as the exported version. 

I honestly believe this is not a colour correction related issue as the Adobe RGB version looks the same as the sRGB softproof, but I can`t fix what LR Classic applies upon export to distort the colours. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

LEGEND , Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Are you talking about Color Space and Camera Profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

At a quick glance, this seems to be a color management problem. Meaning that Windows Photos is not properly color managed. 

Also, from what I understand, if you are using a large gamut monitor, sRGB in a non-color-managed viewer will look over saturated.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

This is what sRGB looks like on a wide gamut monitor without color management.

That's it. That's the whole explanation. With a wide gamut monitor, you cannot use software that isn't color managed. That's the deal you implicitly accept when purchasing such a unit. Windows "Photos" is not color managed, so you can't use it.

You need to stop thinking that Lightroom "changes" anything in the exported file. What happens is that it's not displayed correctly in Windows Photos, because it isn't colo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Your last screenshot still shows Windows "Photos" vs Lightroom, and there is still the expected difference. Those two will never match, and you cannot rely on Windows "Photos". Lightroom is right and Photos is wrong.

You can deny that as much as you like, but that's just the way it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Did you enable color management in FastStone?

It's done in Settings > CMS. Both boxes must be checked.

Faststone-settings.png

As others have said, images will display over saturated in applications without color management on a wide gamut monitor. It's inevitable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future, So people don't have to download the image you have attached, please use the Insert Photos icon found in the Tool Bar of the Post and Reply text entry dialog window as pictured below.
Since you Can't Edit your original post to remove the Attached screen shot Please include the screen shot you attached to a new reply to this conversation by clicking the Blue Reply button under your original post and use the Insert Photos icon in the tool bar.
The Insert Photos icon is this one in the Tool Bar.
2020-10-06 16_53_14-2020-10-06 - Adobe Support Community_Updated.png

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about Color Space and Camera Profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both. LR uses Prophoto colour space, and the camera profile is Adobe Colour which is Adobe RGB which is fine, since its smaller than ProPhoto so whatever I see I know it fits. 

I have spent 1 hour now with Adobe support and it seems the issue is caused by the Adobe Camera Profile. They recommended to get rid of it and use Camera Standard instead and make sure my camera is set to sRGB. 

This seems to have resolved it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Color, your Adobe Colour, is a Camera Profile not a color Space. Adobne RGB is a Color Space.

All the Adobe Camera Profiles are made by adobe to Render the image slightly differently within the ProPhoto Color space.

Just like the Adobe Monochrone. It is a Camera profile that renders the image in B&W.

I am not sure who you spoke to or whetehr it was really Adobe but they more than likely don't know what they are talking about. The Differences you are showing in the screen shot you posted was answered by Maniacjoe, @ManiacJoe , you are Viewing the Exported image in a Non color managed program.

Open it with Photoshop and compare the 2 images.

Actually on my Color Managed screen the 2 images you included in your screen shot don't look all that much different. Just oversaturated which will happen with a Non Color Managed program

You need to learn about Color spaces, Camera Profiles and the proper way to work with LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already confirmed at another comment (just please read before replying) I had the same oversaturated look in Faststone Image Viewer with colour management enabled and yes I know what is the different between the Adobe camera profile and adobe colour space, just because I didnt write out their full names. And yes, I indeed have spoken to Adobe support and they took over the computer and had to rename the adobe folder .old to clear all settings. Once we have done that the Camera Standard camera profile appeared in Lightroom and when I used that to edit the photos in develop mode and then exported the image it was then perfect in the same colour managed photo viewer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At a quick glance, this seems to be a color management problem. Meaning that Windows Photos is not properly color managed. 

Also, from what I understand, if you are using a large gamut monitor, sRGB in a non-color-managed viewer will look over saturated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also using Fastshone Image Viewer which had the same oversaturated look even though it is using the calibrated ICC Profile. It seem the issue was the Adobe Colour camera profile in LR and I have to use Camera Standard instead which seems to have resolved the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you enable color management in FastStone?

It's done in Settings > CMS. Both boxes must be checked.

Faststone-settings.png

As others have said, images will display over saturated in applications without color management on a wide gamut monitor. It's inevitable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

122650316_3646872635363020_3805697769139160722_o (1).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what sRGB looks like on a wide gamut monitor without color management.

That's it. That's the whole explanation. With a wide gamut monitor, you cannot use software that isn't color managed. That's the deal you implicitly accept when purchasing such a unit. Windows "Photos" is not color managed, so you can't use it.

You need to stop thinking that Lightroom "changes" anything in the exported file. What happens is that it's not displayed correctly in Windows Photos, because it isn't color managed.

A standard, traditional monitor has a native response pretty close to sRGB as it is. That means you can send it sRGB data, and it will appear roughly right. Not entirely correct, but close enough. A wide gamut monitor changes the rules. The numbers need to be remapped into this larger color space to display correctly, and that's exactly what color management does.

The monitor profile is a standard icc profile, just like any other icc profile, and it is used by the application in a standard profile conversion, just like any other profile conversion.

But only color managed software will do this conversion. Windows "Photos" will just ignore all profiles.

In other words - everything is working normally and as expected here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least read my response and solution above before repeating the 1 millionth time the same thing like everyone said except that was not the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your last screenshot still shows Windows "Photos" vs Lightroom, and there is still the expected difference. Those two will never match, and you cannot rely on Windows "Photos". Lightroom is right and Photos is wrong.

You can deny that as much as you like, but that's just the way it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't still understand what is the right approach here.

If what I am seeing in the Develoment module is NOT what I get after export, how do you people edit?

Just installed latest Lighteroom and switching between Development and Library is night and day.

What is the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ChuckG, 

I'm having the same issue and also haven't resolved it. I would love to know if you have resolves it. 

My lightroom always displayed exactly what I edited and exported properly. Now the export is VASTLY different than the edit. It's literally whole stops darker and orange. I have tried everything. Just like all these same threads have said to. This wasn't happening a week ago and now I have no idea what's happened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this was a sudden change that happened without anything else changing, the most likely explanation is that you got a defective manufacturer monitor profile, distributed through Windows Update.

But to determine that, please answer the following:

• What monitor are you using (make and model)?
  • What application are you using to view the exported file?
  • What are the Export settings under File Settings?
  • Can you post a side by side screenshot showing the difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It did happen after a Windows Update - I currently use the Surface Pro 6 (Windows 11 Home). I used my systems photo viewer (the generic one that comes with the computer) Google Drive, Pixiset, and an Emailed copy of the photo to try and view it. The last three all show a darkening of the photo. 

Export settings - JPEG / Quality - 90 / Colour Space - sRGB / Resolution 300

Nothing else is done the photo on export.

Its really noticable in the shadows - this is a photo that was just altered with exposure/contrast, in LR it shows a white cast  on her hair, on export it shows it is dark. 

2022-02-11.png

111.png

This one also pulls dark vs lightroom. I have tried every remedy under the sun for light room - I uninstalled, I updated, restored, wiped preferences, restarted windows, Lightroom and every other photo display have a discrepency. And this is not happening with previous galleries from last month (pre update) every other photo I've edited comes out as displayed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines