Highlighted

Lightroom Import Folder Structure Timezone Issue

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an importing issue where Lightroom is structuring my folders and importing my images in a strange way. I suspect it is something to do with timezones. I shoot with a Canon 5D mk4.

When I import images into Lightroom, automatic folder structures are created such as:

C:/Photos/2020-06-01
C:/Photos/2020-06-02
C:/Photos/2020-06-03

I have noticed that some of the photos that I take on the 2nd will go in the correct folder, but sometimes (especially those that are taken later in the day on the 2nd) they will end up in the 3rd folder.

The time/date and timezone on my computer and my camera are correct (I have double checked both). Even the metadata in the raw photos seems to be correct. The EXIF and IPTC data reads:

Date Time Original:            02-06-2020 18:41:12
Date Time Digitized:           02-06-2020 18:41:12
Date Time:                          02-06-2020 18:41:12
Date Created:                     2020-06-02T18:41:12.21+05:30

It is quite literally only the folders that the imported files are being placed in that is incorrect.

Should it be relevant I have my camera’s GPS turned on (and it seems to be correctly placing the location of the photos on the Lightroom Map module). I am not using any third party plugins, GPS… etc. Just my computer, Lightroom and my camera.

I am using Lightroom Classic version 9.2.1 with Camera Raw 12.2.1. I am on a Windows PC and all of my software is up-to-date and original. I have just updated the firmware on my Canon 5Dmk4 from 1.1.2 to 1.2.1 (and have not been able to check to see if this has fixed the problem). I doubt that it is a Canon issues, seems it has to be a Lightroom thing.

Is there a way to set the timezone that Lightroom operates in? I guess somehow it is being off-set?

Anyone have any ideas, it’s a bit irritating when I go off on a 12 day shoot and come back and have to manually re-adjust the files in their folders.

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom Import Folder Structure Timezone Issue

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an importing issue where Lightroom is structuring my folders and importing my images in a strange way. I suspect it is something to do with timezones. I shoot with a Canon 5D mk4.

When I import images into Lightroom, automatic folder structures are created such as:

C:/Photos/2020-06-01
C:/Photos/2020-06-02
C:/Photos/2020-06-03

I have noticed that some of the photos that I take on the 2nd will go in the correct folder, but sometimes (especially those that are taken later in the day on the 2nd) they will end up in the 3rd folder.

The time/date and timezone on my computer and my camera are correct (I have double checked both). Even the metadata in the raw photos seems to be correct. The EXIF and IPTC data reads:

Date Time Original:            02-06-2020 18:41:12
Date Time Digitized:           02-06-2020 18:41:12
Date Time:                          02-06-2020 18:41:12
Date Created:                     2020-06-02T18:41:12.21+05:30

It is quite literally only the folders that the imported files are being placed in that is incorrect.

Should it be relevant I have my camera’s GPS turned on (and it seems to be correctly placing the location of the photos on the Lightroom Map module). I am not using any third party plugins, GPS… etc. Just my computer, Lightroom and my camera.

I am using Lightroom Classic version 9.2.1 with Camera Raw 12.2.1. I am on a Windows PC and all of my software is up-to-date and original. I have just updated the firmware on my Canon 5Dmk4 from 1.1.2 to 1.2.1 (and have not been able to check to see if this has fixed the problem). I doubt that it is a Canon issues, seems it has to be a Lightroom thing.

Is there a way to set the timezone that Lightroom operates in? I guess somehow it is being off-set?

Anyone have any ideas, it’s a bit irritating when I go off on a 12 day shoot and come back and have to manually re-adjust the files in their folders.

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 03, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

There are at least two known bugs that can cause this behavior, which Adobe will likely never fix:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_import_wrong_folder_names_organizin...

- If you import using a USB cable, LR will get confused over time zones when creating the dated folders.  The solution is to use a card reader instead. (A USB card reader is less than $10 on Amazon these days.)

- If you import from a card via the Devices section of the Import window. Use the Files section instead (which will also be faster):

johnrellis_0-1591220265453.png

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the quick reply John, really appreciate that.

I already use a card reader but I do import from the Devices section. I will have to change my habbits now and hope that this fixes it. I will definitely update here with the result (just incase anyone else is having a similar issue). I had tried searching for help -but couldn't find any similar posts.

Thanks again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 0