• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom import from aperture taking very, very long

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm moving a large (500 GB) Aperture file to Lightroom Classic, but it's taking a lot longer than expected. From reaching the posts here, I understand it's a slow process, but I'm going on my fifth(!) day here and it's apparently only 60% through. Here's my questions, and hopefully someone can help: 

- I'm transferring the Aperture data to Lightroom on an external drive. (Both are on the same 5TB drive) Is that part (or the main) reason for the super-slowness? If I put them both on my desktop (I'm using a Mac) will that solve the problem, and this will only take 18 hours instead of 150? 

- If so, what happens if I stop the import 60% through and restart it? Will I have doubles of the 50K images already uploaded? Am I better off just toughing it out for the next four days? 

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the poorly named Community Help forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Lightroom Classic forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Data transfer rates can be dependent on many variables, including of course your local bandwidth, age and connection type of hardware amongst other possibilities.

Is any of the transferred data coming from a Cloud source?

Can you post a screen shot of the transfer in progress thanks?

As well as your Lightroom and OS versions . . . 

BTW have you seen this post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many people (including me) have experienced such problems attempting to import very large Aperture libraries. Adobe used an inappropriate algorithm, which slows down progressively as more photos are imported.   If it took 4.5 days to go 60% through the first 50K, it could easily take weeks to complete the remaining 33K. (Yes, I plotted a graph at one point of photos imported per sec versus number of photos imported so far.)

Using a different arrangment of disks won't help overcome the bogus algorithm.

Many people have had success breaking their large library into smaller multiple libraries (e.g. no larger than 5K photos).  These smaller libraries import relatively fast, and while it will be tedious to import 16 separate libraries of 5K photos each, you're more likely to actually get the job done.

There have been many reports of other gotchas other than the number of photos, and if you encounter them, importing small libraries will make it easier to troubleshoot and work around.

Also, I recommend starting over with a clean LR catalog.

If you run into unsurmountable problems using the import plugin, you could try the old manual method, well described here (the article also includes useful hints for using the plugin):

http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-begin/

It's a shame that Adobe and Apple did such a bad job with the Aperture end-of-life (Apple explicitly recommended LR, and they may have provided technical help to Adobe). But not unexpected from either.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines