• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom importing photos out of order

Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot a lot of timelapse and have always imported the images into Lightroom for editing then exported for use in my video editing software. Never had an issue. Since the advent of Lightroom Classic CC I am finding that the images are not being given sequential names as they are being imported, for example the first shot will be called Timelapse 2.arw and the second Timelapse.arw the third Timelapse 6.arw the fourth Timelapse3.arw and the fifth Timelapse 4.arw and so on, then it will run in sequence for a while then start to shuffle them again. I am finding workarounds but it slows things down (and I regularly have 1500-2000 shots in a sequence). Does anyone know what has caused this and if there is a solution? I am fully current on the Lightroom updates. Cheers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you set the sort order to Capture Time instead of File Name?

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that only changes the order in the library, it doesn't affect the naming on import

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the import dialog to Capture time. Set the Library module Sort: to Capture Time.

Why are you renaming the images on import? By default all cameras give sequential numbers to every image taken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am naming the images as I want to be able to identify what they are rather than DCS123.arw. The sort option is on Capture Time, where do I find the Import Dialog that I can change to Capture Time as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Adrian+Alderson  wrote

where do I find the Import Dialog that I can change to Capture Time as well

Bottom of the centre panel of the import dialog:

Screenshot_25_12_2017__09_32.png

When you do a copy import, the Destination Panel on the Import screen will show the number of images to be imported. The count will start at zero and increase every few seconds until the final number is reached, my advice is to wait until that full count has been reached before clicking on the Import button. During that counting process, Lightroom is reordering the images into the correct order as per the sort option that you have chosen (you may see the thumbnails being shuffled around as that count increases), so if you start too early you may still find some images out of order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I tried making sure the Capture Time sort option was selected, still shuffled them. I appears the program is importing 2 images at once and they get out of sync so you get images named in this sort of order 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 5, 8, 7, 10, 9 , 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 15, 18, 17, etc etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear. You set the Sort: order in the Import dialog to Capture time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure did

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about trying to rename with the topic, location, whatever, and instead of using sequence number you include the original file name/number. This way they will always be in order no matter which images is imported first second or whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you will try this next time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adrian,

I think you're tripping over a long-standing bug in LR, where the renaming sequence # uses a different order than what was originally shown in the Import window.  Many people work around this by importing from the Files section rather than the Devices section of the Import window; see this post for details: Lightroom: Import renaming Sequence # should be assigned by the order shown in the Import window | P... .

Also, please add your constructive opinion to that bug report, and click Vote in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely Adobe might fix it before the next ice age, and you'll be notified of any changes to the bug's status.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is a few years old, but I'm having the same problem. To those who say this is a long-standing bug, it's not true. I didn't start having a problem with Lightroom Classic until recently. I rename my photos with the date and a sequence number on import. My camera's numbering system rolls over at 9999, and I've shot over 70,000 images on this body. Professional photographers have even higher counts. There are many important reasons for images to import in sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rename files using syntax

YYYMMDD_hhmmss

Note that withou in luding it in the rename preset, images taken during the same second should automatically given a suffix, _2, _2, etc, without your input

Point is to to name based on capture time, in sequence. This is a practice taken by many pro landscape photographers. 

Note to MACOS users, file naming thus way can eliminate sorting issue many have when you want to sort on time, no confusion with capture vs edit vs modify, etc time, (apparently MACOS likes to twist people around when sorting by date) just sort by file name.

You might be able to add your own extra suffix to identify as time lapse.: YYYMMDD_hhmmss_tl, but it would be better to use keywords for that. (add keyword time lapse bracket)

This can all be done during import, or after

now, shame on me for inputting into an old discussion, bad Dave, bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines