• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom - Importing Photos triggers Windows BSOD - Help!

New Here ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Over the past week, Lightroom Classic has crashed Windows 10 (6.2 - Build 18362) over 20 times.  After hours trying to resolve this in the MS Windows forums, I'm thinking this may not be a MS issue but perhaps an Adobe issue.  Regardless, I'm unable to effectively use LightRoom.  (I suspect PhotoShop is fine - but I haven't even bothered finding out).

If it's relevant here, the BSOD (blue screen of death) stop codes that Lightroom is triggering are:

SYSTEM_SERVICE _EXCEPTION

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NO_EXECUTE_MEMORY

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

I have already reinstalled Windows 10 Pro three times.  (Yes - absolutely clean reinstalls with the whole partition wipe out / rebuild schtick).

Anyone else coming across this nasty problem? - If so, could you give me some pointers?

If it's relevant, here's some summary specs on my computer (Yes - I know my graphics card is just OK - I'm getting a new one - but I suspect it won't make a difference).

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 @ 3.70GHz 45 °C

Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

RAM

32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1373MHz (15-17-17-35)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z370-A II (LGA1151) 29 °C

Graphics

C32F391 (1920x1080@59Hz)

4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (MSI) 32 °C

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect a memory problem. Run a memory diagnostic program, Memtest86, or you could remove 16GBs of memory, that is IF you have 4 sticks of memory installed, and test. If you have 4 sticks you could mix and match the sticks until you find a pair that work properly together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies - JSM, I WILL start off by tinkering with the MEM sticks.  Yes - I have four - for a total of 32.  My suspicion is that it could be the graphics card itself, which is why I've ordered a replacement that will arrive on the 14th.  The graphics drivers are up to date.  Thanks, Axel, I've gone ahead and turned off the graphics processor in LR. dj_paige, Speccy isn't reporting any cooling malfunctions - nor are the fan apps themselves, so I've ruled that one out.   I'll let you all know what I learn from all this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it happens during importing, it could be a problem where your cooling system has failed and the CPU overheats.

Graphics card should not make any difference during importing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The BSOD also shows an associated executable such as a .SYS or .DLL that could give some hint about the issue.

JSM’s suggestion about testing memory is a good one. Updating graphics drivers could be another but the multiplicity of errors suggests some sort of hardware issue where memory is hardware. Hopefully that’s it.

These sorts of errors come from drivers, not Lightroom, itself, so LR is merely exercising code and hardware that other programs haven’t.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go and Google on

One thing I get immediately from doing so, is this could relate to Memory, or Hard drives, or attached devices.

On the device front, this could relate to device drivers, the device , or cables.

One thing to try relates to external devices, what do you have connected? Smart Phone, Tablet, mouse, keyboard, monitor, card reader, camera, sound, loupdeck or similar, etc. What happens if you unplug one ir more? Pretty sure Smartphones have come up before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

`When I googled on

one no link that comes up is

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PhUJGPmtHAY

not sure how safe option 2 is.

But then I thought, interesting, never noticed this before and Googled it

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

and from the same source I get

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C_5-S2h0HJY

Makes me think the two errors lead to a device driver issue with the Display Adapter, either the GPU or the on board display chip. Now remember you might have drivers for both your GPU and the on motherboard Display chip.

P.S. while you are in the Device Manager, keep an eye out for any issues flagged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines