• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is fast until computer has been up for a day

Explorer ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a AMD Ryzen 9 3900x with 32GB RAM with a 1TB M2 drive. I upgraded from an Intel 3930x with 32GB memory and a SDD drive hoping that my problem would be solved. Anyway, it is not. I am currently running with Windows Defender anti-virus.

All the Lightroom navigation works great when the computer is first booted. But after a day or so, everything gets very slow/sluggish. This would include just viewing a photo and moving to the next one. The photos are mostly 30-50MB CR2 files with standard previews. I have set the Camera Raw Cache and video cache to 60 GB.

Doesn't seem to make much difference how long I spend in Lightroom.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Who knew what it would take to fix the slowdown! I am currently running an AMD 5950x with 32GB which is a slight speed increase. Anyway, I am running Windows 11 Pro now. I reset the computer (and keep personal files), but after a few days, I had the same type of slowdown. That experience made me document everything I needed to do after a Windows reset. Currently running to 8 pages... Anyway, I reset the computer from scratch and did a full Windows install (not keeping any personal files). So far

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But after a day or so, everything gets very slow/sluggish.

Is this "after the computer has been running for 1-2 days" or "after Lightroom has been running 1-2 days"?

Which version of Windows?

Which number version of Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens after the computer has been up for a day or more. Windows 10 Pro and Lightroom is current. The system info is in the attached text file.

Lightroom Classic version: 9.2.1 [ 202004070813-7699d98a ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an idea of the change in performance, these are results of going from one photo to the next one for 10 photos in the library.

After reboot: 8.5 secs

1 day: 12.9

2 1/2 days: 17

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OVERHEATING?

I assume this is a desktop computer, not a Laptop/Notebook

Turn it off, Open it up. Inspect for dust bunny's around CPU, RAM, GPU, and dust in general.Check for clogged air inlets/outlets, including PSU (that one may be on bottom). Make sure any CPU cooling is still getting electricity (loose wire)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your PSU adequate?

Consider a calculator like: https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/

to determine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And test the RAM on day 2 or later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But one question was not completely answered.

All that time from when you turned the computer on, till the end of day 2. Was Lightroom Classic running? Perhaps in background, but running. As in you did not close it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This computer build is only 4 months old. I have a 650 Watt EVGA Gold PSU and a Radeon RX 570 GPU. The "normal" temperatures are about 64 to 74C. 

I typically use Lightroom for a hour or so, and then exit it. 

I don't see anything to indicate that Lightroom is running in the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you return to Lightroom Classic, Up in the Identity Plate, is:

Face Detection still paused?

Address Lookup, still paused?

Any odd sync running?

In Preferences, Sync, any Sync, perhaps to cloud, running?

Very odd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Face Detection on automatic. No syncing going on. I don't know about Address Lookup (GPS?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing to attempt as a diagnostic. When you close Lightroom Coassic, the Camera RAW CACHE should automatically get deleated. So, if Lightroom when brought backup, is slow in Develop Module, go into prefrences, I think Performance, and purge that CACHE

This would have absolutly nothing to do with sluggish library module behavor. And if the CACHE was an ussue, then it should have gotton slugish before you closedvLightroo,.

But no biggie to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Adobe\CameraRaw\Cache2 is where the cache is. 6,835 files (3 GB) going back to 1/4/2020. I'll purge it and see what happens tommorow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to reinerate, Once this behavor occurs, Computer running a day or two, Lightroom restarted, and lightroom performs poorly.

If you turn the computer off, then turn it back on (cold reboot). Lightroom then behaves?

And to be complete, if instead of a cold boot, you just accomplish a reboot, a reset (warm boot), same result?

Of course, testing both may take a few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same result (speeding up again) with cold or warm reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to break down the problem even more. If I have a newly rebooted/signed in effort, I can be viewing photos in the Library one at a time. As I press Right Arrow to go to the next photo, it is instantaneous. So viewing 10 photos takes about 4 seconds. I wait for each photo to display before pressing the arrow for the next one. If I don't, and just press the arrow continually, it will not display all the photos, but just the last one.

As the computer stays "up" longer, a hiccup gets worse. The 1st photo is quick, but the 2nd one is slow. Then the 3rd one is quick and the 4th one is slow. I just timed the viewing of 10 photos after the computer had been up for 3 days and 11 hours. It took 17 seconds, which is about 4 times slower!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Who knew what it would take to fix the slowdown! I am currently running an AMD 5950x with 32GB which is a slight speed increase. Anyway, I am running Windows 11 Pro now. I reset the computer (and keep personal files), but after a few days, I had the same type of slowdown. That experience made me document everything I needed to do after a Windows reset. Currently running to 8 pages... Anyway, I reset the computer from scratch and did a full Windows install (not keeping any personal files). So far, fingers crossed, Lightroom has been fine. 6 days up is a new record!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines