• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is getting worse with each update

Participant ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to love Lightroom. I thought it was the best bargain with the Creative Cloud subsscription along with Photoshop.

Currently using Lightroom Classic 9.2.1 on my I7-4770 with 32 gbs of DDR 3 memory, Nvidia GTX 1060 6 gb video card running Windows 10 Home 64 bit. Most of my other apps zip along Photoshop CC, Corel Painter 2019 and my 3D modeling apps (3D Coat, Blender 3D 2.8, Silo 3d 2.5, DAZ Studio, Poser Pro 11.3, Vue Creator 3D, etc).

BUT Lightroom is  a complete dog and really slows down my photo editing workflow.

The issue most of the time is it's doing database stuff and not allowing me to edit my raw files. It's either sychronizing a folder or the metadata.  Both DAZ Studio and Poser Pro have large databases of 3D content. Both are not slowing down at all. They still zip right along. I know it's not my computer. I was a computer support tech for 35 years and recently retired 2 years ago.

It's driving me completely nuts and what took little time to edit a raw file now can take several minutes. And can often freeze Lightroom only but not my computer or Widows10..

I have a large catalog of 150,000 images AND PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST I DIVIDE MY CALALOG INTO SMALLER ONES. Please do not suggest this. Not interested in doing this. I have all of my photos into various catalogs that make sense to me. AND IF Lightroom can not handle a catalog of this size, then I'm gonna give some strong thought to jumping ship.

I've also seen on the web some other people are having this issue with the terrible performance of Lightroom due it's database handling. And some of them have found some competing products that do not have this issue.

My question to Adobe: Is this issue being looked into? Will it be fixed soon? I have no issues with Adobe, it's pricing or it's products. BUT Lightroom has been getting worse and slower with every update IMHO. Others may disagree.

Regards

Ken

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

I am quite pleased to report since the latest update to Lightroom Classic 9.3 it has been very stable. Since the update over a week or so ago, I have not experienced any freezing or hanging. Much appreciated Adobe.

Cheers

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic can handle a catalog of millions of images, and it does not do things like synchronizing folders or metadata all by its own. That is simply not how the application works. If Lightroom Classic is doing things in the background that slow down your editing, then you'll have to do some tests to find out what that is. As a computer tech with 35 years of experience you should be able to pinpoint this.

By the way: This is a user-to-user forum. For bug reports, go to https://feedback.photoshop.com. Search for your problem first. If it is already requested by someone else, then don't create a new thread but add your vote to the existing request. I know there are more people complaining about slow performance, so you may even find some answers there already.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I did try to diagnoze my issue for quite some time before posting here. I have myLightroom catalog & temp files directed to a 500 GB Intel SSD. My OS & apps are installed on a 1 TB Samsung SSD.

I did build a Ryzen 7 3700x with 32 gb of DDR4 memory. I need to purchase a video card for it. Presently it is using an older Nvidia GTX 750 with 4 gb of ram but it is only a 128 bit card. I could move the GTX 1060 6GB 192 bit card to the Ryzen from my I7-4770 BUT I would prefer to buy a newer card. Not sure which Nvidia card. My 3D apps prefer Nvidia's CUDA over ATI\AMD cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will not recommend you decrease the size of your catalogs. I also have a 150 000 images.

What I know nevertheless is that synchronising a folder and metadata can be horrible and sucking all CPU as you mention. I have no solution to make them faster or run in the background unfortunately. I am afraid only ASOBE can work on that topic.

I just want to share my experience :
-I only synchronise folder when adding photos created by another application, but limited to one or 2 images in a folder not containing more than 500 photos. ( the best example being creating a copy in Photoshop and saving it in the original folder, then to see it you need to sync the folder in LR) In all the other cases, I use import.
-Metadata syncing is quite rare for me, but when I do it it takes a while and sucks all CPU. No work around except doing it by small numbers in each folder instead of a big folder with 10 000 images.
-I use to optimise my catalogs each time I exit LR. This takes some time but It does accelerate a lot LR when reopening LR and solve the metadata issue as well.
-I make sure that in my Catalog Preferences I check the box to write metadata with the file.

Hope it will help a little be but I realize it is not that much.

Best Regards
Eric Pecquerie

xxxxx

[personal information removed for your protection]

[This is a public forum, not Adobe support, please do not post personal information]

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Community-Help/Email-signatures-and-personal-information/td-p/4786467

Also - beware of answering anyone who sends you a private message

https://community.adobe.com/t5/community-help/avoid-phishing-3-easy-ways-to-identify-adobe-staff/td-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A common cause of slowness in editing is doing a lot of local adjustments on an image (brusing or spot healing). This is made worse by 4K or larger monitors, and made worse by high megapixel original photos. If that's what you are doing, you can try turning off the GPU acceleration (although this may slow other things down).

"My question to Adobe: Is this issue being looked into? Will it be fixed soon? I have no issues with Adobe, it's pricing or it's products. BUT Lightroom has been getting worse and slower with every update IMHO. Others may disagree."

We are not Adobe in this forum. We are other Lightroom users in this forum. We cannot answer such a question. You need to ask Adobe, not us. The link was given earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your system information as Lightroom Classic reports it, Yes I see bits if that, but please post as Lightroom reports it. In Lightroom Classic, click on Help, click on System Info, click on Copy. PASTE (DO NOT ATTACH) that into a reply. Include all info from first line down to and including plugin info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for asking this. here ya' go...

Lightroom Classic version: 9.2.1 [ 202004070813-7699d98a ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.17763
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 3.0 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.30.1
Built-in memory: 32639.4 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32639.4 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1464.3 MB (4.4%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1542.4 MB
GDI objects count: 641
USER objects count: 2294
Process handles count: 2370
Memory cache size: 7.3MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.2.1 [ 415 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 26MB / 16319MB (0%)
Camera Raw real memory: 27MB / 32639MB (0%)
System DPI setting: 120 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 1280x1024
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (26.21.14.4250)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: F:\LIGHTROOM\CATALOG\CATALOG-2-2-2.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\kenmo\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Export to Photomatix Pro
3) Facebook
4) Flickr
5) HDR Efex Pro 2
6) HDR projects 4 professional
7) LR/Enfuse
8)Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (26.21.14.4250)

That would be v442.50 for your GPU driver. Visiting NVIDIA drivers page, current is v445.87

On your computer, you should have a utility from NVIDIA called GeForce Experiance, use it to inspect GPU driver version, check for update, download and install update.

When you do so, select Custom as to force a clean install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 1280x1024

In older cards, selecting in /Preferences/Performance/ to use GPU could cause more problems than improvements in performance if non 4K display in use. 

Now, your card is not that old, may not have that old issue, but consider not turning on use GPU. You may need to test out with lots and lots of adjustment brush edits to see if it helps or hinders.

Note: if you have use GPU on, and Lightroom Classic determined Basic and you forced the issue to be Advanced, do bot do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, an NVIDIA GPU. I will not assume you have seen the following. Instead, no skin off my nose if you have.

See: https://www.winhelp.info/boost-lightroom-performance-on-systems-with-nvidia-graphics-chip.html

Note, if tou did not have that option in use, Then when you do, and you revisit the Lightroom Classic /preferences/performance/ option to use GPU, things might improve.

Note: This option will increase power usage, may not behave so nicely on laptops. Will not behave well at all on low power rigs like all in ones.

Note: This option used to have a bad habit of getting changed back to default upon GPU driver updates, may or may not still do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10, so another assumption to not nake, and share. Power Settings, change to High Performance.

see tip 8 in: https://au.pcmag.com/windows-10-1/5180/11-tips-to-speed-up-windows-10

This one aldo spikes up power usage, not suitable to laptops on battery, may not work at all on low power CPU rigs.

NOTE: This one has a bad habit of getting changed back to defaults upon Windows OS updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've posted my System Info as requested. Did you see anything? Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version: 10.0.17763

1. Your Windows 10 is out of date. That would be v1809, build 17763. Yes, newer features will work under v1809, but, why are you still at that versio. That came out November 2018. Should be at v1903.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera Raw virtual memory: 26MB / 16319MB (0%)
Camera Raw real memory: 27MB / 32639MB (0%)

I see I fouled up, and clicked on the wrong place to make some replys, may be out of logical order, so be it, moving on.

The above info reminds me I need to get off my rear end, turn on my rig, and note if that tells me what the setting for Camera RAW CACHE is set to.

What is your Camera RAW CACHE set to? Would effect Develop module performance, not Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies. Installing Nvidia update now. Usually I have to recalibrate my monitor via Colormunki after upgrading Nvidia drivers.

Cheers & many thanks

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed the Windows updates/patches & updated my Nvidia driver as suggested.

It did not resolve the issue. I also tried disabling GPU support in Lighroom and it made no difference.

Lightroom still behaves the same.

Totally disgusted with Lightroom. It used to be a great app a year or so ago.

Lightroom Classic version: 9.2.1 [ 202004070813-7699d98a ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Version: 10.0.18363

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3.0 GHz

SqLite Version: 3.30.1

Built-in memory: 32639.4 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32639.4 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 1775.8 MB (5.4%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2042.2 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If using Windows Defender or a 3rf party alternative, make sure that real time monitoring of the catalog and previews is not active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken I totally agree with you that LR has become a much slower program than ever.  I find my wait times for thing to happen at the most basic level to have increased but the most frustrating thing is the "not responding" warnings.  They seem to be occurring more often and I find myself going to help sights more often without any resolution.  I wish that Adobe would stop with the updates and streamline the existing program so it functions in the manner we expect and need and had.  
Herman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would prefer less eye candy and better performance & stability. The database management is pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom with it's performance glitches and freezing while doing database administration is simply making Lightroom unusable and not very productive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have been reading this thread and the only thing I can think of that is not available or discussed, is the storage capacity of your computer.

I saw the following in another thread this morning and thought it might have some bearing on the situation here.

From another thread.

"When you have that many photos, it's really not wise to place all of them on your main hard drive. As you might already know, the more empty space on your computer's hard drive, the more efficiently it works. Try not to fill it up beyond more than 2/3 or 3/4 MAX (I leave mine at around 50%)."

Another thought, you had the following in the original post "It's either sychronizing a folder or the metadata".

Have you selected a folder in the library module that has multiple sub-folders containing image files and other files and use the menu select the option "sycronize folder"?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a follow-up to what Denis said, my images are spread across two internal hard drives and two external hard drives, None of which are the master hard drive on which Lightroom is installed. The computer is an old HP Pavilion desktop that really should be replaced but probably won't be. It only has 8 GB of RAM, won't accommodate any more. Lightroom performs reasonably well unless I try to assemble a 30 image panorama like I did yesterday. It took about 10 min. to finish the job. Three horizontal rows of 10 images. But at least it worked. Since I'm 76 years old, and not as fast as I used to be, I guess I can't complain about the speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok just a follow up on my earlier post, I have seen your post with the info on your SSD drives.

Another thought out of the box, Your computer performance will be limited to the weakest link. Could that be the USB connection to the External SSD.  The computer may be USB or USB 2. the SSD is probably USB 3.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only use my USB drives for backups. I do not have any photos on USB drives in my Lightroom catalog.

I use Synchredible to backup my photos, 3D renderings and digital paintings to the USB drives.

I do not run applications or access any of my data on the USB drives. They are for BACKUP only.

I use 2 internal sata drives for my photos and 1 internal sata drive for my digital art. All three drives are in my ONE Lightroom catalog.

Photos

Drive D - 5.45TB - 862GB free

Drive N - 3.63TB - 2.45TB free

Digital Art

Drive E - 1.36tb - 315GB free

I have my OS & Apps installed on a Samsung 1TB SSD drive. I also have an Intel 465GB SSD which is used to store my Lightroom catalog & temp files.  Lightroom app is installed on the Samsung 1 TB SSD with my OS & other apps.

The only app I have issues with is Lightroom Classic. I've uninstalled and re-installed it twice. It did not resolve the issue.

Photoshop CC, Corel Painter 2019, e-onsoftware's Vue Creator, Poser Pro 11.3, Daz Studio, Blender 2.82, 3D Coat 4.9, Silo3D and other apps operate fine. And exhbit NONE of the issues Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines