Highlighted

Lightroom is importing images into folders by modified date instead of capture date.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used lightroom for years now and what has been a no brainer task recently went disastrously wrong.  I always sync metadata to the files automatically so my changes follow the files across programs.  That means they, or the metadata anyway, are frequently updated when I crop or tweek a color.  On my latest attempt to import images to a new archive, I selected the source images and clicked import.  Then I chose my location to move to and the format to import them with.  I chose to import into subfolders by date.  Lightroom then moved them to folders as though they were captured on the modification date (which is years away from the correct and actual date). So files taken in 2016 and modified yesterday are organized as thought they were taken yesterday.  I spent the day talking to Indian customer support reps who knew absolutely nothing about the software or the issue.  Basically I just want to know if it's glitch or if it's somehow an option to organize and import by modified date instead of capture date.  Or if there is a work around.  It's happening on two differnt computers running up to date CC versions.  Any help out there?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom is importing images into folders by modified date instead of capture date.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used lightroom for years now and what has been a no brainer task recently went disastrously wrong.  I always sync metadata to the files automatically so my changes follow the files across programs.  That means they, or the metadata anyway, are frequently updated when I crop or tweek a color.  On my latest attempt to import images to a new archive, I selected the source images and clicked import.  Then I chose my location to move to and the format to import them with.  I chose to import into subfolders by date.  Lightroom then moved them to folders as though they were captured on the modification date (which is years away from the correct and actual date). So files taken in 2016 and modified yesterday are organized as thought they were taken yesterday.  I spent the day talking to Indian customer support reps who knew absolutely nothing about the software or the issue.  Basically I just want to know if it's glitch or if it's somehow an option to organize and import by modified date instead of capture date.  Or if there is a work around.  It's happening on two differnt computers running up to date CC versions.  Any help out there?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of conditions where LR fails to use the correct capture date for folder names.  To troubleshoot this, first, please post the first ten lines from Help > System Info so we know the exact configuration you're running. (LR often fools people into thinking they're on "the latest".)

Possibilities:

1. These most recent photos don't have embedded capture dates that are readable by LR. Upload one of the problem photos (not yet imported into LR, which will overwrite the metadata automatically) to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here, and we can verify its metadata. Even if the capture date shows up in the Metadata panel correctly, it may be partially incompatible with the Import process.

2. You're importing via a USB cable connected to the camera. LR has never gotten this right.

3. You're importing from the Devices section in the Import window's Source panel rather than from the File's section:

clipboard_image_0.png

There have been reports that this sometimes results in incorrect dates in folder names. A while ago, Adobe changed the default behavior for memory cards to select the Files section rather than the Devices section, because they were unable to resolve performance and other issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previous reply had embedded images that won't display in email. View the reply in your Web browser to see the images.

Use the blue reply button under the first post, to ensure replies are properly ordered.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Here are a couple of screen caps.  Upon further inspection it seems that this is mainly happening to DNG files.  Please take a look at the info on the screen grab.  These were taken several years ago with a Canon pro camera.  The raw was converted to DNG in lightroom some time ago.  I have been using these files without trouble since I took them in 2013.  The content creation date is being ignored and the modified date used instead.  you can see from the scren cap that it stuck this file in October 11, 2019 rather than the day in 2013.  I dont have another copy of the file I can upload, unfortunately.Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 1.14.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-15 at 1.22.27 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To test my understanding: You imported a Canon raw into LR many years ago, converting it from raw to DNG format at that time. Now you are reimporting that DNG, which resides on a local disk, into a new LR catalog, and LR is putting the DNG into a folder dated with the DNG's modification date rather than the date when the original was taken?

If that's correct, upload one of those sample DNGs to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here.  Perhaps LR hasn't overwritten the original capture date and/or we'll learn something else from its metadata.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

You have the issue exactly right.  Thank you.  The only thing I would add is that this originally came up not when I was recreating the database, but when I was simply syncronizing the main folder.  It moved the files originally at that time and subsequent attempts to reimport them to the correct place have been unsuccessful.  I have also used my laptop and had identical results, so its not isolated to one machine.  Here is a link to a folder in dropbox that contains four files.  Three are the same image, but are an DNG, a Tiff and a Jpeg that all showed up in the folder together.  All have identical creation dates in 2013 and metadata(presumably) modified during an auto sync of lightroom.  I actually haven't made any modifications to these files myself.  There is also a fourth file in there that is a scan from a piece of film I shot around the same time in 2013.  It is a Tiff and I have not touched it in years.  I'm not sure why it was considered modified and I don't know why it is not in a folder acording to its creation date.  Here is that link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j860fufky5rou9h/AAD3tXoSt-qBWcdRrIo5xk-0a?dl=0

Your thoughts are appreciated,

Cameron

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines