• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is not showing all the pictures in a folder

Contributor ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wanting to edit some images in a particular folder in Lightroom.  When looking at the folder in File Explorer there are almost 100 image files in the particular folder.  However, Lightroom only sees 22 files.  I've selected the folder and tried both IMPORT and SYNCHRONIZE however nothing happens.

How do I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tonymuffin,

It could be possible that those other 88 images are present in Lightroom and they are in some other folder depending the import settings that you chose.

Would suggest you to pick up the file name of any one those left over 88 images and search for that file name in Lightroom.

To do a search, choose all Photographs in Library Module and press backslash (\) to turn on the filter bar and type in the filename in the text box

search_capture.PNG

This will show the image if it would be there in Lightroom Catalog.

You can right click on that image and choose Go to Folder in Library to get to that folder which contains that image.

Regards,

Chetna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok but that doesn't solve the issue.  I found the picture.  The same picture is listed in another folder.  However, I want the 88 images that are missing from the LR folder to appear in LR in that folder.  How does one fix that and why is this happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you might have imported the photos into Lightroom using the COPY option and so Lightroom is referencing a copy in a different folder.

So, when you find the folder in Lightroom that contains the photos that Lightroom is referencing, right-click on the folder name, select Update Folder Location, and point Lightroom to the copy of the photos in the desired folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the imported photos were down via IMPORT not copy.

with that said, the folder containing the 100 images is listed in LR but 88 of the images are not.  Neither IMPORT or SYNCRONIZE do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tonymuffin wrote:

the imported photos were down via IMPORT not copy.

In the Import dialog box, you must choose COPY or MOVE or ADD or COPY AS DNG. Obviously, you have chosen COPY.

Thus the solution I provided (which doesn't involve Import or Synchronize) will work. You need to find the folder in Lightroom that contains the photos (which is not the same as the folder you are seeing in your operating system with the 100 image).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three types of import: Copy, Copy as DNG, and Add.

Since some of your "missing" images are being referenced in other folders, it sounds like you either did a "copy" import when you wanted an "add" import, or you externally moved the images (using Explorer?) after the images were imported into LR's catalog.

Are your "missing" images shown in the Library grid? Are they marked as missing "!" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not correct.  The particular images are indeed in 2 different folders.  So, yes they are duplicates.  However, ALL the folders should be selected when importing the uber folder into LR as it was.  So, both folders should be listed showing the images.  They were NOT copied.  They are not marked as missing.  They simply do not show up in the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Tony, you can keep arguing, or you can follow my instructions and the problem will be solved in under 2 minutes.

1. In Lightroom, find one of the photos in Lightroom that is in the "wrong" folder.
  2. In Lightroom, RIght click on one of these photos and select "Go to Folder in Library"
  3. In Lightroom, on the left hand side, in the Folder section, the "wrong" folder will be highlighted. Right-click on the "wrong" folder name, select Update Folder Location, then select the "right" folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beg your pardon... I am not arguing.  and as I stated... they images are NOT in the wrong folder.  they are in the correct folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So will you try what I suggested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2016 Jul 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with tonymuffin.  This does not solve the problem.  Until recently my "Pictures" in Lightroom have shown about 29,500, now they show 22 for no discernible reason.  I have not changed the settings that I am aware of - so how do I get back to showing 29,500 ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2016 Jul 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Air wrote:

I have to agree with tonymuffin. This does not solve the problem. Until recently my "Pictures" in Lightroom have shown about 29,500, now they show 22 for no discernible reason. I have not changed the settings that I am aware of - so how do I get back to showing 29,500 ??

Please start your own thread with complete details on what problem you are having.

Including what OS you're using and what exact version of LR you are running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would they have to start their own new thread!? It sounds like the same issue I've been experiencing.  Today I go into Lightroom and there are even more pictures that are no longer there.  The ONLY solution here was to create a completely new catalog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not the ONLY solution.

I provided a solution in reply #3 that will allow you to find the photos in Lightroom and then if desired, link the photos in Lightroom to the folder you want them to be in.

It seems that neither person in this thread reporting this problem has even tried to do this, even though it solves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Tony Muffin as well. It does not work this way. It is not possible to do what you suggest when the photo is not there to click on. In my case when I switch import the photos that are missing show up but are ghosted and it is not possible to click on them. When I exit Import the folder shows 8 out of 123 photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so what happened if you don't find them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as Toni... my pictures are in my photos folder, but when I open Lightroom and try to edit some photos they do not show up in Lightroom. Most pictures in my photos folder are there, but some are not.  Say I take a screenshot, the photo gets copied to photos, but when I wanna edit in Lightroom it does not show up in the folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dusty5FBF 

You have accidentally imported the photos using COPY rather than ADD. So Lightroom Classic thinks the photos is already in the catalog, but in a different folder than you think they are in. It does not allow you to import the photos again (this would be a mistake if you did import them again). Find them in the Lightroom Catalog by following all 4 of these steps, in order:

1. In the Lightroom Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs
2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
3. Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
4. Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Filter Bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes thank you!! I figured it out!  All is well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dusty5FBF Would you be so kind as to say what you figured out?  It's unclear to me which of the many solutions that were offered worked for you.  I have tried some of them and so far no luck.  

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dusty5FBF Would you be so kind as to say what you figured out?  It's unclear to me which of the many solutions that were offered worked for you.  I have tried some of them and so far no luck.  

Thanks!

By @default7or20hcxa60p

Maybe its the reply directly above his/her statement that it is all figured out, the reply that specifically directs the answer to @Dusty5FBF , that would make sense, she is replying to the post directly above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as Toni... my pictures are in my photos folder, but when I open Lightroom and try to edit some photos they do not show up in Lightroom. Most pictures in my photos folder are there, but some are not.  Say I take a screenshot, the photo gets copied to photos, but when I wanna edit in Lightroom it does not show up in the folder

By @Dusty5FBF

Please start a new thread instead of using a thread that is 4 years old. Please, in the new thread, describe your problem in detail, and describe it from the beginning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMGosh! dj_paige I didn't ask this question but it sounded like my problem.  I could find my photos in my catalog and they showed as missing, but they were completely missing from my folder.  I was going into my catalog which showed the missing photos with the (!) and bringing them back to my folder but it would only allow me to bring one at a time.  I just did what you said and God love you it worked!!

Thanks so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact problem. All the images copy to a new folder destination, but no preview thumbnails show up in my lightroom catalog. I've tried 3 separate import > copy attempts and receive "no photos in previous import." Frustrating. Here goes try #4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines