• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom looking promising but then bmp issue discovered.

Participant ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here I am having at last found a raster image cataloging software capable of much needed custom fields as Extensis Portfolio had, though their creation by Lightroom is using a process not intended for such keyword sets, and I now discover out of the box Lr doesnt recognise jpg and bmp .

I have managed to get it to see jpg by altering preferences setting, though it is odd that such a common format is by design , told to be ignored when cataloging a folder full of jpg's.

However I cannot get it to see my bmp files. I create bmp files for my access database which only works with bmp. I also have my many sim programmes I work with and they create bmp files when stills are captured.

Such denial of common raster formats kills Lr for use.

I read of this and a workaround to generate jpgs of all the bmp files, ...my D drive is almost full so to duplicate the bmp files of which I have many is nuts.

Lr is the only prog I know of that doesnt see such a common basic raster image that has existed since win 3.1

As for cataloging CAD files, vector prog files, and so on, I cant see Lr ever doing that, if it doesnt do Bmp.

Gutted...

Back to searching for a DAM software for raster images that can do 'custom' fields.

....and I could shake Extensis warmly by the ....hand....throat !

Merlin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Lightroom is primarily a PHOTO editor and cataloging program and the editing tools are primarily focused on photos and work especially well with RAW.  As far as I know there are no cameras that shoot BMP and any BMP photos can be converted to TIFF/JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

thanks......Blast !!

It could do bmp if Adobe wanted that,. easy enough to make it see a very native format, no point though even contacting them., too big to listen to ideas, lost one customer through lack of foresight. All DAM software does bmp except Adobe's, ...wonderful !

Back to trying to find a DAM software that handles raster images and has an intuitive and easy to use Keywords system with custom fields.

Thought I had landed one here for a moment., real shame is that.

To have a prog that just does just part of the raster images I have is of no use.

To have one that does all files I have, as well as makes a good job of the raster ones, is the holy grail. So far iMatch is the only contender but no custom fields, everything dumped into one massive list, . Developers clearly dont use their progs in a time matters real world way.

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines