Highlighted

Lightroom mobile to desktop nightmare

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

I realise this a support forum, but you know...

I've been using your products for well over a decade and similar products for over 20 years. Yes, I am old, but not incompetent.

I've been taking digital photographs for many years too and have my own workflow preferences that serve me very well. They are very simple processes.

1. take the photo

2. upload the photo to the computer

3. Edit the photo

4. print the photo, or share it online

I do not need to upload my entire catalogue of images to the cloud when they are already backed up, especially not when there is no option (that I can find anyway) to specify exactly what adobe lightroom classic will sync.

It seems utterly pointless and a huge waste of data and electricity to upload the DNG photos from my iphone then use even more data and electricity to download them again to the computer I do my editing on. Editing on a tiny phone is not an option for me.

How many people all over the world are doing this and how much data and electricity are they wasting?

Why is not possible to just simply transfer via USB, bluetooth or something similar?

Why can't the mobile lightroom app communicate directly with Lightroom classic?

Why is there no option for lightroom classic to just sync with lightroom mobile, rather than every image file on a hard drive?

Why should it take an experienced user hours of frustration verging on tears trying to just complete what should be a simple task?

Why don't my synced photos show up in lightroom under the 'from lightroom' option - as per all of your online resources?

Why can I see my photos in Lightroom cc but not Lightroom classic?

Remember - this is just trying to get the dng images off the phone and onto the desktop - that's all. I don't want or need any other functionality at this stage. I just want to do a simple job, I'm not interested in sharing my stuff across the lightroom landscape of apps, of having the same image version appear in all versions of the app - I don't care about this. I just want the photos off the phone and onto the desktop so that I can at least view them on a proper screen and edit from there.

I only have 274 dng photos on the mobile, but they are taking up a lot of space and it makes sense to offload them. But you know, the only way it seems is to sync and then if you live in Australia and have marginal internet, it will take you eons to do this - hours of wasted time, electricity and data.

Asking Adobe for help is pointless and I have to apologise in advance to all of those people who do that work, I'm sure your working conditions are not ideal which is probably why you have to ask for so many tedious details before being able to answer a question, and because there are no simple answers anyway - it depends on this on that and the other. And why, if I am already signed in to creative cloud do I have to repeatedly sign in to your forum with the same ID? At least you haven't asked me for my date of birth, mother's maiden name or the colour of my last stool.

Imagine returning something to a shop - a bottle of milk that won't open and the shopkeeper insists on you reciting the code stamped near the top of the bottle but it's illegible, so the shop keeper refuses to help you even though you are standing there with a bottle of milk that won't open - all that's needed is for the cap to be twisted off in the right way - something that should be a very simple processs but the factory changed the way that bottles open making it three turns to the left, a single turn to the right then four short, sharp taps on the very centre of the very top. the shopkeeper knows this but because you have failed to recite the secret code, they will not help - even though he or she could just reach over, grab the bottle and follow the required sequence ot twists and taps to open it. The shopkeeper is not allowed to provide proper help and his or her every move is surveilled and recorded so that in the event of a complaint, the shopowner can pull up a few recordings and claim that either the shopkeeper (who is not the owner) or the customer did the wrong thing and therefore the insurance company doesn't have to pay out. The shopkeeper gets fired, the customer dies of frustration induced heart failure and the shop owner buys a new jet, more shares in the insurance company and f*cks off.

And still, the photos are uploading... thank you Adobe, you have some wonderful ideas and some great products but also a really horrible twisted incomprehensible cumbersome lumbering sinkhole of a framework to put it all in - how about getting back to basics?

TOPICS
Feature request, Import and export, Problem or error, Sync, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom mobile to desktop nightmare

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

I realise this a support forum, but you know...

I've been using your products for well over a decade and similar products for over 20 years. Yes, I am old, but not incompetent.

I've been taking digital photographs for many years too and have my own workflow preferences that serve me very well. They are very simple processes.

1. take the photo

2. upload the photo to the computer

3. Edit the photo

4. print the photo, or share it online

I do not need to upload my entire catalogue of images to the cloud when they are already backed up, especially not when there is no option (that I can find anyway) to specify exactly what adobe lightroom classic will sync.

It seems utterly pointless and a huge waste of data and electricity to upload the DNG photos from my iphone then use even more data and electricity to download them again to the computer I do my editing on. Editing on a tiny phone is not an option for me.

How many people all over the world are doing this and how much data and electricity are they wasting?

Why is not possible to just simply transfer via USB, bluetooth or something similar?

Why can't the mobile lightroom app communicate directly with Lightroom classic?

Why is there no option for lightroom classic to just sync with lightroom mobile, rather than every image file on a hard drive?

Why should it take an experienced user hours of frustration verging on tears trying to just complete what should be a simple task?

Why don't my synced photos show up in lightroom under the 'from lightroom' option - as per all of your online resources?

Why can I see my photos in Lightroom cc but not Lightroom classic?

Remember - this is just trying to get the dng images off the phone and onto the desktop - that's all. I don't want or need any other functionality at this stage. I just want to do a simple job, I'm not interested in sharing my stuff across the lightroom landscape of apps, of having the same image version appear in all versions of the app - I don't care about this. I just want the photos off the phone and onto the desktop so that I can at least view them on a proper screen and edit from there.

I only have 274 dng photos on the mobile, but they are taking up a lot of space and it makes sense to offload them. But you know, the only way it seems is to sync and then if you live in Australia and have marginal internet, it will take you eons to do this - hours of wasted time, electricity and data.

Asking Adobe for help is pointless and I have to apologise in advance to all of those people who do that work, I'm sure your working conditions are not ideal which is probably why you have to ask for so many tedious details before being able to answer a question, and because there are no simple answers anyway - it depends on this on that and the other. And why, if I am already signed in to creative cloud do I have to repeatedly sign in to your forum with the same ID? At least you haven't asked me for my date of birth, mother's maiden name or the colour of my last stool.

Imagine returning something to a shop - a bottle of milk that won't open and the shopkeeper insists on you reciting the code stamped near the top of the bottle but it's illegible, so the shop keeper refuses to help you even though you are standing there with a bottle of milk that won't open - all that's needed is for the cap to be twisted off in the right way - something that should be a very simple processs but the factory changed the way that bottles open making it three turns to the left, a single turn to the right then four short, sharp taps on the very centre of the very top. the shopkeeper knows this but because you have failed to recite the secret code, they will not help - even though he or she could just reach over, grab the bottle and follow the required sequence ot twists and taps to open it. The shopkeeper is not allowed to provide proper help and his or her every move is surveilled and recorded so that in the event of a complaint, the shopowner can pull up a few recordings and claim that either the shopkeeper (who is not the owner) or the customer did the wrong thing and therefore the insurance company doesn't have to pay out. The shopkeeper gets fired, the customer dies of frustration induced heart failure and the shop owner buys a new jet, more shares in the insurance company and f*cks off.

And still, the photos are uploading... thank you Adobe, you have some wonderful ideas and some great products but also a really horrible twisted incomprehensible cumbersome lumbering sinkhole of a framework to put it all in - how about getting back to basics?

TOPICS
Feature request, Import and export, Problem or error, Sync, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, you are not talking to Adobe here. We are all users like yourself. This is a user to user forum, although there are a few Adobe employees who participate here occasionally.

I am not a proficient or prolific user of Lightroom Mobile. I use it very little. My main purpose for using it is to take photos with the Lightroom Mobile camera (NOT the iPhone camera). The way I have my system set up, when I take DNG photos away from home, or anywhere really, when I return to my main computer where I use Lightroom Classic, the images that were taken with the iPhone have been downloaded to that computer and are ready to be edited either on that computer or on the iPhone. It works every time. I don't use it that often, but it DOES work consistently and reliably. I don't know how you have things set up, or why it isn't working for you. I'm sorry you're having difficulty.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2020 0
May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t work for Adobe either, but I agree with many of your frustrations since I am sometimes in places with terribly slow upload speeds, where there is no chance the Lightroom photos I took will finish uploading before I leave that site. Especially the very large HDR DNG photos.

Others agree with you too. On the official Lightroom Feedback site, there is already an existing feature request with 123 votes called Lightroom Mobile: I would like to synchronize over LAN/Cable instead of internet. You should add your voice there; Adobe has already marked it “Under Consideration” although the feature request is 6 years old. I think part of the problem is that if images are transferred locally, it is more of a challenge to reconcile the desktop and the mobile device with the cloud database.

Although cable or local area network syncing is not available yet, it is now much easier to bypass cloud syncing. Recent versions of the Lightroom mobile app allow exporting multiple photos in bulk as raw originals or DNG (which includes Lightroom edits). If you have enough space on your phone, you can:

1. Shut off syncing from the Lightroom app to the cloud.
  2. In the Lightroom mobile app, select multiple raw or DNG images, and export them to to a folder outside of Lightroom on your mobile device. In iOS, this means tap Share, tap Export As, set file type to DNG, tap Save to Files, and pick a folder. It is possible to pick a folder on external storage connected to the phone or tablet.
  3. When you get home, manually transfer those photos to the computer (on iOS you can use AirDrop, or Connect to Server if sharing is enabled on the computer), and manually import them into Lightroom Classic.

Also, Lightroom Classic does not sync every file on a hard drive up to the cloud. It syncs only collections that have been enabled for syncing. If too many photos are uploading, you may need to check for collections that unintentionally have syncing enabled, and shut it off in those collections.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, I will try this for sure 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2020 0
May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the reason I don't have any complaints is because I really don't use Lightroom Mobile or any of the sync features that much. The little bit that I do use them, they work. My opinion is that, although Internet download speeds are respectable, upload speeds are pretty dismal. At least that's the way it is for me. When I take pictures with my iPhone using the Lightroom camera it is often several hours before I'm back in my Lightroom Classic computer. So I don't know how long it takes for the images to synchronize. For me, it's just easier to have everything on a hard drive connected to the computer. But then I am not traveling a lot so being mobile isn't that big of a deal for me. I think the idea behind Lightroom (for the cloud) is good. But if you are a heavy user in just might not be the best solution. My thoughts, and you might not agree. That's okay.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries & thanks for your input - I think the issue is definitely internet connectivity and also not being able to access the lightroom files directly as I believe an android user might be able to.

I live in a forest with marginal 3G mobile internet - 1 bar, 2 if it's a good day, so if I'm out taking photos, there's no way they can be synced. I was caught unawares and only realised what had been happening when the phone battery ran down by more than 80% in less than 10 minutes trying to upload files while I was using the lightroom camera app.

What our government here calls broadband is actually a satellite service which doesn't work well on cloudy days, so the accessibility in that sense isn't what you'd get in a country with proper internet, or a city.

Perhaps one day things will improve.

Cheers

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2020 0