Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom modifies altitude field

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I am new to Lightroom and I recently noticed something that seems odd to me.

I use a GPS module on my Nikon camera, it adds GPS coordinates as well as an altitude to the metadata of the image taken. I imported my entire library into Lightroom Classic CC recently and noticed that all photos with a GPS tag are marked as "Metadata was changed" (or something of the sorts - I am using a different language) when looking at the metadata info to the right of the image in the "Library" module. So I now have the option of saving the "changed" metadata to the file (although I didn't change anything).

Upon testing this, I discovered that pretty much the only thing LR changes in the metadata (besides adding some redundant fields) is the altitude. It seems to set a new value for the altitude. In one photo from Barcelona, it changed it from 17m to 0m, in another from Tallinn from 8m to 20m.

I read somewhere online that LR uses data from Google Maps or a similar service to obtain its own altitude value for a given set of coordinates. While this is nice if you have no altitude to start with, I would prefer that it didn't overwrite the altitude my device measured to some generic Google Maps value. After all, it does this automatically, without asking. Also, LR does not show any altitude value in the metadata window in the program itself, neither the old nor the new value.

How can I stop LR from overwriting my altitude values? And how can I get it to show them?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

I investigated, and it's a recent bug introduced in LR 7.3, 7.4, or 7.5: Address lookup overwrites an existing altitude recorded in the imported photo. If you turn off address lookup in Catalog Settings > Metadata > Look Up City, State and Country..., then LR will import the existing altitude and display it in the Metadata panel.

Please add details of your issue and your constructive opinion to this bug report: Lightroom: Address lookup overwrites existing altitude | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I investigated, and it's a recent bug introduced in LR 7.3, 7.4, or 7.5: Address lookup overwrites an existing altitude recorded in the imported photo. If you turn off address lookup in Catalog Settings > Metadata > Look Up City, State and Country..., then LR will import the existing altitude and display it in the Metadata panel.

Please add details of your issue and your constructive opinion to this bug report: Lightroom: Address lookup overwrites existing altitude | Photoshop Family Customer Community . Be sure to click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner. This will make it a little more likely Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Well, if it is a bug, let's hope they fix it. Thanks a lot for your answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem. I use drones and when I import the photo, the altitude is changed. Lightroom show the same altitude for all files. Even if I import from a disk or SD card.

I did another test. I imported a file with Lightroom, then I copied the file manually, afterwards I read the metadata again, and the altitude was good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines