Highlighted

Lightroom Novice in need of Mobile to Home workflow

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I am using Lightroom Classic and have an external drive which contains my Lighroom Library. All of this is working great for me. I am hoping to get a Drobo, or similar RAID array soon. So that will make the external data storage physically larger than the drive is now.

What I am wondering about is when I leave, perhaps go on vacation and want to take photos and import them into Lightroom to adjust/edit (so no access to external sotarge), what workflow should I setup so that the images eventually end up back in my large library when I reconnect to my external storage at home and retain all of the edits I made while away?

Thanks so much!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by WobertC | Adobe Community Professional

If you are using Lightroom-Classic 'on vacation', with a 'Classic' travel catalog on a laptop, then the recommended way is to merge the Travel Catalog into your home catalog, when you arrive home, by [Import from another Catalog].

Using a small external drive for the travel catalog (or as a copy of catalog and files) means that it can be easily connected to the Home system to Import the Catalog.

TRAVEL CATALOG MANAGEMENT

Travel and Location Catalogs (J Kost) Adobe TV

Others might suggest to use Lightroom (Cloud version) on the laptop and import and edit photos while traveling. But this method relies on the photos syncing (via the cloud) down to the home desktop. You will see the edited photo, but you lose many things like history, Collections, keywords, Books, Slideshows.

Topics

How to, Import and export, Mac, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom Novice in need of Mobile to Home workflow

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I am using Lightroom Classic and have an external drive which contains my Lighroom Library. All of this is working great for me. I am hoping to get a Drobo, or similar RAID array soon. So that will make the external data storage physically larger than the drive is now.

What I am wondering about is when I leave, perhaps go on vacation and want to take photos and import them into Lightroom to adjust/edit (so no access to external sotarge), what workflow should I setup so that the images eventually end up back in my large library when I reconnect to my external storage at home and retain all of the edits I made while away?

Thanks so much!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by WobertC | Adobe Community Professional

If you are using Lightroom-Classic 'on vacation', with a 'Classic' travel catalog on a laptop, then the recommended way is to merge the Travel Catalog into your home catalog, when you arrive home, by [Import from another Catalog].

Using a small external drive for the travel catalog (or as a copy of catalog and files) means that it can be easily connected to the Home system to Import the Catalog.

Others might suggest to use Lightroom (Cloud version) on the laptop and import and edit photos while traveling. But this method relies on the photos syncing (via the cloud) down to the home desktop. You will see the edited photo, but you lose many things like history, Collections, keywords, Books, Slideshows.

Topics

How to, Import and export, Mac, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great. Thanks for the links!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines