Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 'Open as Layers in Photoshop' not working

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello~

Sometime around upgrading from the CC Photographer to a full Creative Cloud membership, I lost the ability to open images from Lightroom as layers in Photoshop. Searching through boards, I've tried reinstalling the software (both) multiple times, both with and without deleting preferences. Each time I'll try to open images as layers both with Photoshop already open, and not. I've tried opening Photoshop before opening Lightroom and it still doesn't work. I've tried deleting all other Creative Cloud applications (excluding current Camera RAW profiles and Bridge), and still nothing. The only thing I haven't done is a complete reinstall of CC, which I'd like to avoid.

If Photoshop is Closed when I choose 'edit in', Photoshop will open but no photos will load.

If Photoshop is Open already, nothing happens. No error messages, no switch in apps, etc.

If I choose 'Edit in Photoshop...', all the images load as individual files, but it's painstakingly slow to drag the individual layers into a stack (especially when dealing with a 20+ image stack).

Help!

MacBookPro w/ 2.5GHz i7

AppleOS 10.12.5

Lightroom 2015.10.1

Photoshop 2017.1.1

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working fine here on a Win 7 system with 16 GBs of RAM and using 4 images. I suspect your system is trying to process all those 20 images and that can take some time especially with lower amounts of RAM.

How long have you waited? Do any rotating dots appear in the PS window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it with just 2 images and still nothing. No rotating dots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to check. Have you opened both LR and PS and made sure they are really up to date to the versions you posted in your first post.

There was a bug in an earlier version of LR that cause this type of thing to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and I even remembered to Power Cycle.

They were fresh installs, I checked the version numbers, and everything is up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh - also 16 GB RAM, and I've waited several minutes for just 2 images... and still nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can at least confirm, that the problem existed also on a Windows PC. Currently, it works...and I do not know what I changed. I even didn't reinstall or upgrade my Adobe software.

You may try using the "Load File into Stack" script inside of Photoshop. I agree that the workaround will not be a nice solution. But at least you could check the machine limits.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the idea, but wouldn't that involve an export from Lightroom to JPG/TIFF before reimporting in PS? Fewer steps than dragging individual layers around, so that's good, but more compression on the individual layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I wiped Creative Cloud and did a fresh install - still having the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update 2: After spending about 45 minutes on the phone with Adobe, it seems Photoshop doesn't like images that are on external hard drives (a new development since I'd worked on files externally for years). Moved the images to the desktop and they loaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem... driving me nuts...  Once I read this, I put all the focus bracketed files on my desktop, imported into lightroom, and then loaded into Photoshop as layers and it worked.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if this is a universal problem.

I have always - since Lightroom 1 and since Photoshop 1.2, in the dinosaur years, put the images I want to work with in PS or import into LR onto my main computer. I do store them on external drives.

I suggest you check your cables with the external drive? 

I have had issues a couple of times over the years where a cable was quirky and that was the source of the problem.

just a thought

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines