• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Organization: Where do you Keep Master Edit files?

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the finished files from which I've created prints (and will likely want to creat more prints in the future) - where do you find it makes the most sense to keep them?

I could keep them in their respective dated folders with the others shot in the same session. Or I could keep them in a folder marked for Master Edited files.

I'll be using Lightroom's keywords and collections but this question relates to the actual storage location.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean with 'finished files'? Did you create a copy of them because you went to Photoshop? Lightroom stores its edits in the catalog, and does not change the original images. That means there is nothing to store when you have finished editing an image. The edits are already stored in the catalog, and the original image wasn't touched so it does not need to be stored again.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I mean by 'finished files' is the PSD file. I open the DNG in Photoshop and create from it a PSD. I know the original DNG is not changed and the DNG will remain in its original location. But I have the PSD that I'm wondering whether I should keep it in the folder with its original DNG or in a different folder marked just for master edited (finished) files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is up to you. There is no 'correct' place to store an image like that. Store it where it makes the most sense to you, not to other people.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know there's no 'correct' place. I don't yet know what makes sense to me; I am just beginning to use Lightroom to organize my images. I am asking for suggestions based on the experience and observations of those who have done this kind of thing before. Understanding Lightroom and its associated concepts may be easy for you and others who are kind enough to volunteer their time helping people in this forum. But please understand that others like myself are technically challenged and much of this is like a foreign language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My preference is to store finished files in their own folder structure, which happens to be on a separate drive. I can easily find both the original raw files and the finished files by sorting in LR, filtering on date, and the filenames contain common info (date+frame no).

Why? Well, I like to have multiple copies of my originals - effectively duplicating the original drives. If they also contained finished files, I'd be using much more space and I can always recreate those files if necessary. As well as making better use of space, I often re-edit finished files and back up that work separately from the originals.

It's probably more common that people file the finished versions with the originals, or at least in subfolders. Partly that's because people just struggle to get away from good old folders, but it might also make more sense if your photography is more based around "jobs" (loosely defined). So  you might shoot a performance or wedding and want all the related files kept together, especially if there is a high proportion of finished files (mine tend to be smaller in number but big in size). As my approach is more hard core DAM/metadata-oriented, I just enter the job field and can find all the related files just as quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, john_beardsworth, I like the idea of storing finished files in their own folder structure and on a separate drive - that's what I've decided to try.

To add those files in Lightroom, do you go to Import and use the Add option?

And what is your workflow regarding getting those finished files in the catalog? I ask because it seems like one would have to have a reminder to add those files, either at regular intervals or after a session of editing images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some are imported automatically because I start the process by an Edit In Photoshop, and I then move them to my finished folder structure as soon as I return to LR.

On other occasions I just save the TIF to my finished folder structure and do a Folder > Synchronize in LR.

In any case it's no big deal. I just prefer to get the files recorded in LR before I forget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a folder we'll call finished_files and those files are not yet in the LR catalog. Can I use Synchronize Folder to get all those files into the LR catalog? I appreciate all the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My file organization looks something like this:

Each shoot/event has a folder named for the date and maybe an event name.

Under that is a sub folder for the original image files, which may be further organized.

A sub folder called "exports" for the JPG files exported for printing or uploading.

20191025_product_release

+- originals

+- exports

Any PSD files created by LR to PS to LR get stored in the originals folder.

This format allows me to archive the job as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm doing my own printing, which I often do, I will print using the master raw file if I haven't found it necessary to go to Photoshop. Sometimes I will create a soft proof and print from that virtual copy, but I don't see the need to create a "final" copy because I might decide to modify the master image again. Then I would have to create another file copy. Generally speaking, the only time I create a copy of an image is when I need a copy, such as a JPEG, to send to someone or to post on social media, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I save finished PSD files in a separate location from my RAW images. I have folders for each shoot by client/model, and by location for my landscape and scenic work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"What I mean by 'finished files' is the PSD file. I open the DNG in Photoshop and create from it a PSD."

It sounds like you're creating the PSD file as a "backup copy" with your edits applied. If that's what you're doing it isn't necessary! You should be copying your raw files and LR catalog file(s) to  separate dedicated backup drive using backup software.

You need to explain your workflow including the printing process in much more deatil before we can provide targetted suggestions. Certainly if you are applying NO edits to the PSD files inside PS then there's no need to create them in the first place. The devil is in the finite specific details of your actual workflow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines