Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[lightroom] Percentage export issue

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

When I select "percentage" in the export module, it doesn't work properly. Lightroom seems to keep values from another option (ie. dimension). If no other option was setup before, the export gerenate a full size image (event if a % number is filled).

Any help.

cap_ 2018-06-29 à 18.08.17.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Actually, on further testing if you choose Long Edge and leave the value BLANK for the edge length than the Percentage doesn't work either.  This is the same scenario as your example.  If you fill in BOTH the WIDTH and HEIGHT when using "Width & Height" option than the "Percentage" option will work correctly.   The bug apparently is caused by leaving the values BLANK when choosing a resize option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi oliviers64960396,

Sorry the export option to export with the percentage resolution doesn't work as expected.

Could you please let us know the exact version of Lightroom you're using? Also, what file type are you exporting? A full screen capture of Lightroom export window showing all the option would be really helpful. Something like this:

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash,

Thx for your answer and your help.

Here we go:

Sys info

Lightroom Classic CC 7.4 Raw 10.4

OS X High Sierra

Original image size: 4000x4000

Export format: JPEG

Step 1

Export without filling any field

All fields in all options leaved blank (except for Megapixel option that cannot be blank)

Export size: 4000x4000

1.png

Step 2

Percentage export: 50%

ALL previous setting are blank (Dimension, width+Height, etc.) except percentage

Export size: 4000x4000

2.png

Step 3.1

Width export: 100px

Export size: 100x100

3.1.png

Step 3.2

Percentage export: 50%

The width is preserved at 100px THEN choice is made in percentage and fixed at 50%

Percentage export size: 100x100 (instead of 2000x2000)

3.2.png

Hope it helps.

o.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your scenario and I could duplicate the bug.  This was starting with "Width & Height"

If I started with "Long Edge" or "Short Edge" than changing to "Percentage" worked as it should.  I didn't test the other two options.

Odd bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, on further testing if you choose Long Edge and leave the value BLANK for the edge length than the Percentage doesn't work either.  This is the same scenario as your example.  If you fill in BOTH the WIDTH and HEIGHT when using "Width & Height" option than the "Percentage" option will work correctly.   The bug apparently is caused by leaving the values BLANK when choosing a resize option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

You are absolutely right. I just did the test: I put 100px in all fields (dimension, width-height) and THEN I chose 'percentage' with a value of 50%.

My output file was 2000x2000.

Bingo!

😉

o.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, if you want an image exported at 4000 x 4000 pixels it will need to be cropped to be square. It doesn't matter what the dimensions of the master image are. Then in the export dialog set the dimensions to the long edge to be 4000 pixels. Don't worry about the percentage. If you want the image to be 2000 pixels set the long edge to be 2000 pixels. Again, don't worry about the percentage. If you want the image to be 1000 pixels, set the long edge to be 1000 pixels. Again, forget about the percentage setting. Crop the image to be a square and then export by just setting one of the dimensions that you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

I think the issue here is that there is a BUG in the Export function when the needed values are left BLANK.  See my post 5.  It is an easy bug to replicate so should be easy to fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akash,

Bob found the bug. Up to you to correct it 😉

o.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oliver

This is a user to user forum so Adobe likes all bugs reported here  Photoshop Family Customer Community    Just explain in enough detail what the bug is and then provide a link back to this thread.  It will then probably be noted by the Adobe Engineers.  I know it is kind of a pain to post in two spots but that is the way Adobe wants it.    Glad we got is resolved for you.  This was an odd bug!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user forum so Adobe likes all bugs reported here  Photoshop Family Customer Community    Just explain in enough detail what the bug is and then provide a link back to this thread.  It will then probably be noted by the Adobe Engineers.  I know it is kind of a pain to post in two spots but that is the way Adobe wants it.    Glad we got is resolved for you.  This was an odd bug!!

In my opinion it would be good customer support from Adobe to file bugs found on this User-to-User forum to their other forum, instead of just leaving it to the user.

I mean, it's already quite a frustration to hit to a bug in their product and take the time to explain it here. I'd say the user has already done his/her job and any documentation / organisation needs should be taken care by Adobe.

We do pay them several hundreds each year to develop their software. I don't think we should be doing their job in documenting / organising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi oliviers64960396,

As BobSomrak has mentioned please report this problem on our Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community so that our Engineers can diagnose this problem and work on it accordingly.

Thanks a lot BobSomrak for all your help identifying the problem.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot BobSomrak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were able to reproduce this on macOS 10.13 but not on Win10. We ahve logged a bug for the same.

Smit | Lightroom Classic Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Percentaged export still doesn't work...whatever the value entered it exports full size.

I edit JPGs, export to JPG and the long edge setting is not optimal for me, i need a percentage resize so I don't need to get my batches in preview and resize there after LR export.

LR Classic 9.3, OSX 10.15.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Works OK for me on Lr9.3 and macos 10.15.6.  Using 50% will export a batch of photos at half the dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines