Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom problem exporting dark B&W image

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm having some problems when exporting dark b&w images on lightroom. On the Develop mode in Lightroom they look alright, but when exporting the darker areas (mostly black cliped) get all noisy ruining the whole image. This happens either when exporting to JPEG quality 100 or TIFF. The RAW file is from a Canon 6D Mark II and I'm using last Lightrrom version.

I'm attaching some samples to see the difference.

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Native windows photography viewer is the issue; not color managed. 

ALL color managed applications should preview, (at the same zoom ratio you view in LR, ideally 1:1 in Develop module) identically

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screenshots at 100% view of the image in Lightroom and the exported image.

Are you on Mac or Windows?

In what application are you viewing the exported image?

Do not attach the screenshots, use the Insert Photos button in the toolbar.

Insert-photos.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows, and viewing the exported image on native windows photography viewer. 

I believe it is somewhat related to the default B&W Punch preset, because I tried with B&W High Contrast preset and it seemed ok. You can see the differences in the images.

Thank you!Lightroom Develop 100% B&W High Contrast Preset.jpgLightroom Develop 100% B&W Punch Preset.jpg6_IMG_8957_High Contrast Preset.jpg6_IMG_8957_Punch Preset.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Native windows photography viewer is the issue; not color managed. 

ALL color managed applications should preview, (at the same zoom ratio you view in LR, ideally 1:1 in Develop module) identically

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right. This is the expected difference between color managed and not color managed. It's not the file; it's whether the application displays it correctly.

Windows "Photos" can not be used as reference for anything. Ignore it.

Your high contrast preset probably just pushed everything into clipping at both ends, masking the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answers.

It had happen before with some photos that had too much black areas and when pushing up even more those darks and blacks. Some presets just "ruin" those areas.

I imagined Windows "Photos" shouldn't be reference, but such a difference makes it almost unusable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use a color managed image viewer such as

• FastStone image viewer. Free for personal use. Color management must be enabled under Settings > CMS, and both boxes must be checked,
  • ACDSee. Not free. Color managed out of the box.
  • Irfanview. Free for none commercial use. Color management must be enabled under Options > Properties/Settings.
  • Bridge. Included in your Creative Cloud subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines