Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom seems to think i have 2 internal HD's

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently had to install the OS of my Mac on an external SSD to improve performance. I re installed my creative cloud on the SSD and tried to open my lightroom catalog from the internal HD. Initially lightroom opened fine and showed all my files but it was displaying 2 HD's. One called "Macintosh HD" and the other "Macintosh HD-Data". "Macintosh HD - Data" is displaying my full catolog files but everytime i try to sync a folder or save a lightroom file after working on it in PS, it saves a new file in "Macintosh HD" and then shows the original file on "macintosh HD-Data" as empty (even though the files are present in finder).

I have checked the locations of the now empty folders and its showing the files are there.

So im now at a loss of what to do! do i need to just create a new catalog, save that on my SSD and tell lightroom to use the relevant files from my internal HD?

Any help would be much be appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Lightroom are you on. The two hard drives you are seeing are real. In the Catalina update to Mac OS X Apple started doing some wizardry to further protect the system from malware which subdivides the main hard disk in a locked down part containing the operating system and such and a Data part that only contains things that can change. Earlier version of Lightroom are not able to see the difference and think there are multiple internal hard disks. If this is the latest version, you might have some catalog database issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. It is the latest version of lightroom. Ive just been reading about the new wizadry apple have implemented in Catalina. My understanding was that "Macintosh HD - Data" was where all your files are stored and "Macintosh HD" was locked.

I set up a new Lightroom Catalog and added the relevant files and it was only showing "Macintosh HD" i had to edit a batch of images for a customer and when i saved them in a sub folder of the original images, Lightroom has saved them to "Macintosh HD - Data". All a bit confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The operating system is supposed to hide the existence of the two different drives to the user and you should not see that they are separate. However, I now notice that the drive your files are on is the old internal drive. Is it named the same as the external that you run your OS of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No the SSD external that im running the OS from is called untitled 1 (forgot to change name when installing). i notice now that Catalaina has done the same thing and split that into "untitled 1" & "untitled 1 - Data". Is this a fault of my Mac? Any ideas how to sort?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shots of what you are seeing will help greatly to solving you problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 17.25.12.pngScreenshot 2020-08-23 at 17.25.20.pngScreenshot 2020-08-23 at 17.25.33.pngI set up a new Lightroom Catalog and added the relevant files and it was only showing "Macintosh HD" i had to edit a batch of images for a customer and when i saved them in a sub folder of the original images, Lightroom has saved them to "Macintosh HD - Data". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this is messy because the files are on the old system drive which has this split personality but is not the actual startup disk. My guess is that this trick they employ only works reliably on the startup disk and Lightroom gets confused when files are not on the startup disk and shows you the actual volume. I do not know how to deal with this except that I would suggest you keep the operating system on the internat drive and move all your files and folders (including the catalog) to the external formatted as a simple drive instead of a boot volume as a better solution. Of course this depends on the speed of the internal drive vs the external but rarely does it differ much as the speed is mostly determined by the interface. Also if this is an older mac with a slow internal SSD, it is likely you can replace the internal SSD with a faster and much bigger version. In later Macs Apple starting sodering on the SSDs which made them not replaceable. I made my old 2012 Mac Book Pro last years longer by replacing the small SSD with a 1TB version years ago. My kids still use it succesfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea i had install the OS on an external SSD because the mac was working at a snails pace, with plenty of crash's and system restarts to the point i couldnt get it to boot up. Now running the OS off the ext SSD its lightning fast.  This issue wouldnt be so bad but if i try and sync a folder in lightroom it save it to the other HD. 

Its a bit of  PITA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would probably backup everything and reinstall from scratch on the internal. Booting from an external is going to be a pain in the long run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But booting from an SSD is always going to be faster. Is there no way of telling lightroom that one of the internals is off limits?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! Is the internal a spinny or hybrid drive? I would replace with an SSD if so. There are many companies that sell upgrades that will work for older machines. OWC is one I have used many times. They have great videos on how to do it: https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines