• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom slow -trying to create new catalog and reimport

Participant ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to get LRCC to run a faster when processing images. changing the thumbnails to 1:1 increases the browsing speed but can't get

the processing speed of editing to improve. working with nefs from d700.

Computer specs:

max os high seirra

macpro mid 2012

processor 3.33 6 core intel

memory 32gb

OWC-SSD

It seems like things are getting slow when processing images in LRCC.  When I work in PSCC I don't have any issues with speed.

I read somewhere that you can try creating a new catalog which may clean things up a bit.

When I do this I name new catalog and select "import from another catalog" and imports about half the images and gives me an error.

Not 100% sure im doing this correctly.

Could someone help me with this? I need all my collections to come over as well and folders from photoshelter plugin if possible.

Thanks

Owen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

So, nice looking rig, CPU. RAM, GPU, Nothing to slow LR down, I din nit check GOU driver version however

Preview size and quantity fine (some members have nice new high end extreme large res monitors, and that can slow LR down)

Does not look like extra goodies involving sync of faces or addresses or maps going on.

Nice to see a member not at all stubborn about Camera RAW CACHE

Now one thing I can nit prove, is does LR touch that Camera RAW CAcHE during import. Mostly It gets used in Develop. And whi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way i can update my original post with update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your first post, click on the title, then the actions should include edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Owen,

Sorry to hear about the slow performance of Lightroom, could you please let us know the exact version of Lightroom you're working on?

Also, could you try the steps mentioned here and let us know if it helps? Optimize Lightroom performance

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

owenpga2  wrote

I read somewhere that you can try creating a new catalog which may clean things up a bit.

I think this is just wishful thinking.

I seriously doubt your catalog has anything to do with the speed problems, and creating a new catalog seems like a waste of time to me.

Speed problems in the Develop module arise because the CPU can't perform all the calculations needed in a relatively short amount of time. Doing lots of brushing and/or lots of spot healing makes the problem worse.

If that's the case, I think the only thing you could do would be to get a faster CPU. I'm not sure if that's possible with your hardware. Many people buy a new Mac something or other, and find the problems aren't fixed because although they have a faster CPU, they now have a 5K monitor as well which is another cause of slowness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doubt its the Cpu. i work with 200+ meg files in PSCC with no speed issues. My computer is plenty powerful to handle most editing. Didnt always have this issue in LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speed in PS does not correlate to speed in LR. One can be fast and one can be slow. Especially if you are doing lots of local adjustments in Lightroom.

The most common cause of speed problems in Lightroom in the Develop Module is the CPU. There are no scenarios I know of where catalog issues result in develop module slowness. There is no mechanism that I can image where re-creating the catalog will result in speed improvement in the Develop Module.

Also, the file size is irrelevant to Develop Module speed (it has an impact at the time the photo is loaded into the Develop Module, and not thereafter while you are editing). Same is true for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please clear up some possible confusion. In Lightroom, click on help, click on system information, click ion copy, paste that into your reply (info past the plug-in section, not all that useful to us  you might want to omit the bottom section,)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 8.1 [ 1200465 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en-US

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.13.6 [17G4015]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3.3 GHz

Built-in memory: 32,768.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32,768.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 4,943.3 MB (15.0%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 9,953.8 MB

Memory cache size: 3,586.4MB

Internal Camera Raw version: 11.1 [ 112 ]

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 593MB / 16383MB (3%)

Camera Raw real memory: 604MB / 32768MB (1%)

Displays: 1) 1920x1080, 2) 1920x1200

Graphics Processor Info:

OpenGL: ATI Radeon HD 5770 OpenGL Engine

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Version: 4.1 ATI-1.68.21

Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 5770 OpenGL Engine

LanguageVersion: 4.10

Total Video Memory: 1024 MB

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic CC

Library Path: /Users/owendawson3/Pictures/NewOWenLRdec2018/NewOWenLRdec2018.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/owendawson3/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you are gathering and reporting your system information, a few additional bits of info:

1. The total size of the images you are importing, not how big one image is, not how large your sensor is, but the total space they occupy on your hard drive.

Ok,thats on a PC, something similar for MAC

2. The Camera RAW CACHE size limit you have in Lightrooms preference (this will get used during preview creation)

3. Your setting in lightroom catalog settings for Standard Preview size, and for quality. And your monitor screen resolution (px)

4. Your setting in lightroom catalog settings, for Address Lookup (2 items) , and Face Detection (recommend off, off, off)

Oh, and in that screen XMP off? Yes?

Note that I am keying in your import catalog issue, not the general performance issue, and a lot more issues come up for performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 3.56.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-19 at 3.57.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-19 at 3.57.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-19 at 3.58.39 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, nice looking rig, CPU. RAM, GPU, Nothing to slow LR down, I din nit check GOU driver version however

Preview size and quantity fine (some members have nice new high end extreme large res monitors, and that can slow LR down)

Does not look like extra goodies involving sync of faces or addresses or maps going on.

Nice to see a member not at all stubborn about Camera RAW CACHE

Now one thing I can nit prove, is does LR touch that Camera RAW CAcHE during import. Mostly It gets used in Develop. And while the preview CACHE (that is for use in Library, not in Develop) is not the same as camera RAW CACHE, I think that Camera CACHE is used during the creation of the previews (for use in library), sticking them into the Previews CACHE (aka the previews folder or directory).

So a question comes up, if that is so, and your images total out at 1 plus TB, how big does the Camera RAW CACHE have to be for this import?

None for some members curiosity, these previews are not used in develop module, in develop module previews are created on the fly and placed in the Camera RAW CACHE until you purg3 it.

You might want to select minimal previews in your import dialog. Now I have never imported a catalog, so I do not know how that will differ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines