Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Sony A7II ARW files unsupported

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings!

I am using Creative Cloud Lightroom version: 5.7.1 [994254] on PC Win10 Pro Anniv.  I just upgraded from Sony a6000 to a7II.  All worked well with the a6000.  Now, when I attempt to import uncompressed .arw files from the a7II, I receive this message:

"The file appears to be unsupported or damaged."

I tried several different files in various locations, and attain the same result.  I am able to view the images in camera, with Windows Photos app, Adobe Camera Raw v9.9, and Photoshop CC.  So, I suspect some issue between Lightroom and the a7II's .arw files, as I can successfully import .jpg files from the a7II.  Additionally, I am still able to import .awr files taken with the a6000.

I attempted to update Lightroom, but it says it is up to date.  Camera software version is 3.30

I welcome any insight and assistance.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are on 5.7.1 and it is A7II?

The A7II is supported starting 5.7.1: Cameras supported by Camera Raw

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw.: If you have a CC subscription, why are you using the old LR5 and not the latest LR CC 2015.9?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have either Lightroom Creative Cloud or Lightroom 5.7.1; they are different, so which do you really have? 

The message you are getting indicates that the camera is not supported by your version of Lightroom.  The Sony A7 II is supported by LR 5.7.1 as seen in this link: Cameras supported by Camera Raw so you should not be getting that message. 

Exactly which version of Lightroom do you have? 

Also exactly which camera do you have.  If you have the A7R II or the A7S II, then you need to upgrade to a newer version of Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for your responses.

Unless Sony mislabeled the camera at the factory, and given that the a7RII and a7S are substantially more expensive, I can asure you I have an a7II.

I pay a monthly subscription for the Creative Cloud Photography plan including Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC. When I click Help/System Info for Photoshop, I get:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2017.0.1 20161130.r.29 2016/11/30:23:00:00 CL 1099099  x32

No problems viewing .arw files from the a7II there.  When I click Help/System Info for Lightroom, I get:

Lightroom version: 5.7.1 [994254]

License type: Creative Cloud

In Lightroom, when I click Help/Check for Updates, it says it is up to date.  When I go the the Creative Cloud desktop app, Photoshop is listed in the Latest Versions category under the Apps tab, but Lightroom is listed in the Previous Versions category under the Apps tab.  I have tried to update Lightroom from the Creative Cloud app as well, and it says it is up to date.

The Creative Cloud desktop app is on version 3.9.1.335 dated 10.28.2016.  I notice that version 3.9.5.353 dated 12.14.2016 is available, but it doesn't seem to want to update to this version.

So, I it seems I'm not on the latest Lightroom version, but I am unable to update it.  Maybe I need to uninstall and start over?  How do I get to version Lightroom CC 2015.9??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not have the most current version of Lightroom, regardless of what Help/Check for Updates says.

If you have a 64bit operating system, you can download and install Lightroom CC 2015.9 from this link: Download Photoshop Lightroom

You must first download and install the Application Installer, then download and install Lightroom 6.9/Lightroom CC 2015.9.

If you have a 32bit operating system, you cannot install any newer version of Lightroom than your current 5.7.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are paying a monthly subscription fee and Lightroom 5.7.1 is what you are using then there are two possibilities:

1. You are using a 32-bit operating system. Lightroom CC is 64-bit only. You will not get any more updates to Lightroom 5.7.1 because that version is no longer in production.

2. You have both Lightroom 5 and Lightroom CC installed on your computer. You are using a 64-bit operating system. But the icon that you are using to start Lightroom is starting the old version.

In either case, the camera you have mentioned should be supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings All,

Thanks for your help.  As it turns out, my system is on 32bit due to some legacy software I was running.  Sound like if I bump up to 64bit, my issue will disappear.  I'll let you know how I fair.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem but cant view in Windows Photos app either, at least not the ARW files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Windows Photo, you may need to install this driver: Sony RAW Driver Download | SONY

For LR, please tell us your exact version of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED

I just bought an a7 m2 and had the same issue in LR 5.7.1.  When I imported I got the "!" attached to the images and was unable to edit them.  It was doing it to my JPEGs too as I set saving RAW+JPEG.  I imported the same files into  Capture One Pro v.10 without any issues.

The problem was fixed when I set the a7 to save RAW files Compressed.  For whatever reason the higher quality uncompressed is not supported in Lightroom 5.7.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same .

Lightoom 5.7.1 version 64 bit dont reed ARw file from sony a7m2..the file appears to be unsopported or dameged

camera raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

renatak48539323  wrote

I have this same .

Lightoom 5.7.1 version 64 bit dont reed ARw file from sony a7m2..the file appears to be unsopported or dameged

camera raw

Unfortunately, there is no way for you to have Lightroom 5.7.1 open the ARW files From that camera. That model was not supported until Lightroom 6.1.1. If your choice is not to purchase Lightroom 6 or subscribe to Lightroom Classic CC, then the other option would be to download the free DNG converter and convert your raw files to the DNG format. Those files could then be opened with a Lightroom 5.7.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you.

Wysłane ze smartfona w T-Mobile, sieci największych możliwości.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to update community on Sony A7II and ARW files in Lightroom.

I am currently using Lightroom 6.0 with Camera Raw 9.0 and had the same issue as above - Lightroom cannot read the photo; it will import, you can view it but can't develop it.

To test, I have just taken 2 images; 1 RAW compressed, the other uncompressed. The comrpessed version imported fine and can edit whereas the other still showed the error.

If Lightroom 6 supports the A7II, then the issue may be with Camera Raw. I have tried installing version 10 and 12 and neither shows up as being used in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloading and installing a newer version Adobe Camera Raw has no impact on Lightroom. Lightroom will use the version of Adobe Camera Raw that is built into your particular version of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to edit Sony A7II files in Lightroom 6.x, then you'll need to convert the ARW files to DNG. I've included the link below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines