Exit

LIGHTROOM SYNCHRONISING IMPORTS IMAGES TWICE

Enthusiast ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

latest LR CC classic Version.

a few times now i had Images imported twice,

the files are in the LR catalog already but when i use "synchronize folder" they are imported again, a second time.

so for example, i end up with 160 files in a folder that only contains 80 files.

it happens not always and not to the same folder.

i have no clue why this happens but it´s an issue i only have with the new LR CC classic.

this is on a fresh win10 1709 Installation with a fresh LR CC classic installation and a new created catalog.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In File Explorer look at that folder to see exactly how many images are in it.

Please post a screen shot showing the Folders tree of LR, with that folder selected, and a window of the File Explorer showing that same folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you seem to have missed a part of my message:

so for example, i end up with 160 files in a folder that only contains 80 files.

Please post a screen shot showing the Folders tree of LR, with that folder selected, and a window of the File Explorer showing that same folder.

don´t know why i should do that.

in the folder are X TIF files and in lightroom are 2 * X files displayed (each TIF file twice) in that folder.

i am not a noob.

i have cleared this error (removed folder from LR and imported again) so i have to wait until this happens again before i can make a screenshot. but i really don´ t know how a screenshot should help. other than you assuming i am too stupid to count files.....

the folders are not touched for month. they are old projects i don´t work on.

but when i synchronize a folder (and including subfolders) it happend 3-4 times now that files are imported again.

they show up as new files in the synchronization window  (*) and after synchronization they show in the grid view as a second image.

when i remove the folders from the LR catalog and import them again all is fine (no files are displayed twice).

(*) with synchronization window i mean this one (i don´t know if it´s called that in english):

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just run a sync folder on several different folders, older folders from 2010 and newer from 2017, and don't have this problem.

The Sync Folder dialog box pops up with Zero files to import.

Sync Folder 1.PNG

Sync Folder 2.PNG

So something on your system, and in LR, is showing those files to be different from what is already in the LR catalog file.

Could be the files got renamed or just a character add to the name, even a space.

Do any of the images already in the catalog have an exclamation or question mark on them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as i wrote it happend only 3-4 times since CC classic was released.

you can not expect it to happen immediately when you try it.

i posted this so others can have an eye on this issue.

Could be the files got renamed or just a character add to the name, even a space.

Do any of the images already in the catalog have an exclamation or question mark on them?

as i wrote the files are not touched for months (or even years).

but you made a good point!!

i just noticed.... all files have german umlaute in it.  like Ö Ä Ü....

Öland und Rägeleje 1990_012.tif

this is not a user error this is a lightroom error. i am using LR since V1.

trust me i know what i am doing....

sorry if i sound a bit defensive but i am used to men thinking woman are clueless when it comes to computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never really related your screen name to a Gender and I never really looked at your screen name. I just read your question. So I had no Idea you are a woman. So you can get down off that high horse you are on. I'm just trying to help and in doing so I ask certain question to get a better understanding of the problem you may be having.

In any event it is not a LR problem. It is an OS problem and renaming of the files. If these are old images then they were stored at one time on a different computer and or hard drive and in copying them from that older system to the one you are using now the names have been changed in some way that LR thinks they are new files.

Do any of these older files have a ! or ? mark on them? If any of them do then that is a sign LR thinks those files are missing. Probably because they have been renamed, somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If these are old images then they were stored at one time on a different computer and or hard drive and in copying them from that older system to the one you are using now the names have been changed in some way that LR thinks they are new files.

these files are on the same harddisk for YEARS.

they are UNTOUCHED, UNCHANGED, UNMOVED, they are NOT RENAMED.

they are already imported into a FRESH, NEWLY CREATED catalog a week or so ago (when LR cc classic was released).

when i SYNCHRONIZE a folder some files are sometimes (not all times) IMPORTED AGAIN.

imported again means.. i have then TWO files in the grid view. images show up TWICE.
that has nothing to do with renaming etc.

when after synchronizing a folder files show up twice, then synchronize is not working correctly.

and please if you insist that they are changed.... please don´t reply to my posting anymore! it is not helpful!

explorer shows latest date of change for example as 24.4 2014.

or here the info of one file in LR:

Untitled-1.jpg

and even IF they would have changed after the initial import (and they have NOT changed!) they should not show up TWICE in the LR catalog!

there is only one file on the harddisk, so if images show up twice after synchronization in the LR catalog, this is clearly a lightroom error.

Also why are you Syncing older folders that you more than likely will never go into other than to browse some of your older work?

because as i wrote... i sometimes synchronize folders that have SUBFOLDERS.

why i do something has nothing to do with that this LR feature does not work 100% in CC classic.

Do any of these older files have a ! or ? mark on them? I

you seem to ignore what i wrote.. i am not a noob i use LR since VERSION 1.

so NO, they have NO "!" or "?" on them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

happend again......

Untitled-1.jpg

87 images in that folder.

Untitled-3.jpg

LR shows 174 images:

Untitled-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this happens always on folders with Umlauts in the folder name or do only the files need to have Umlauts? This sounds like there might be a bug in the system that doesn't correctly deal with special characters. I never use these in filenames or folder names (I use a strict organization by date in my folder names and never rename my originals) so it is possible nobody ever noticed.

I just tried renaming some images with umlauts in their names and they don't reimport when synchronizing. Also not the folder name. It might be that something goes wrong with these in the catalog upgrade to Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems only to happen to folders or files with umlauts.

so far i did not notice this with other folders or files.

but keep in mind it only happend a few times yet.

but i say probability that it only happens to files or folder with umlauts is pretty high.

i had never issues before. every LR version did handle these files and foldes fine.

It might be that something goes wrong with these in the catalog upgrade to Lightroom Classic.

it´s a fresh catalog not an updated catalog.

i store all important metadata directly in the files so creating a new catalog is no big deal, just a matter of running import overnight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might make sense to report this as a possible bug on http://feedback.photoshop.com . This is a user to user forum with very few Adobe employees on it but the engineers at Adobe do look at the feedback forum for feature requests and bug reports. The same login for this forum works over there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have written a bug report there.

noticed that someone has a problem with imported images show up twice too...don´t know if the errors are related.

I'm getting duplicate images imported from both my cameras to the new Lightroom Classic CC. It will import the RAW file twice on some images in a batch, but skip the .jpg. so I end up with img123.dng and img123-2.dng and no jpg and some images will import properly with the raw and jpg. It seems to be avoidable if I only import the raw images and leave out the jpgs.

in his case it´s an issue with importing files.

in my case it happens when sychronizing.

also the grid view has some other issues i also noticed at least 3 times the last week (a restart solved it):

Clicking on the thumbnails in Library module, the main grid view and the strip view below are not synchronized any more, so clicking on the strip no longer actually selects an image, and clicking on the grid does not update the selected image in the strip.

maybe unrelated issues but adobe should look into this.

something smells fishy in denmark.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just wanted to add that this issue is still not fixed in the latest version of LR.

files that have umlaute (Ö,Ä;Ü) in the filename are imported again and again when synchronizing folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also why are you Syncing older folders that you more than likely will never go into other than to browse some of your older work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem with 3 of  folders I have in the catalogue. Even if I delete folder from the catalogue and import it again. When i synchronize this folder again, I have all pictures in grid doubled.

Latest version still with this bug.

Names of the folders:

2016-09-17 Svatba Beáta a Honza Štefunkovi

2016-06-11 Svatba Ája a Jarek Gabzdylovi

2016-10-08 Svatba Terezka a Ondra Ždychovi

i can see that problem happend only in case that czech special character was used on capital letters. Do not know if this is root cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it is really problem in case that capital letter with special character is used like ĚŠČŘŽÝÁÍÉŮÚ in Czech language. I tried to rename folder names to:

2016-09-17 Svatba Beáta a Honza Stefunkovi

2016-06-11 Svatba Aja a Jarek Gabzdylovi

2016-10-08 Svatba Terezka a Ondra Zdychovi

I kept names of the files because I have the same naming as folder + 3 digits and it works even with those characters so problem is on folder level and all subfolders which were also doubled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for Greek capital letters with accent marks : Ά

Some photos are imported 4 times. Any news about a solution ?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have exactly the same problem - this time with folders containing Polish letters... I did "synchronize" on main folder, as I copied a bunch of folders with pictures from another disc into, and suddenly pictures I had in the catalog for years showed up again. And if I look into the library, the same picture is displayed, say, 5 times. If I select four of the thumbnails and tell Lightroom to remove the pictures from the catalog, all 5 are gone (even the one I haven't selected) - so it is not a problem of duplicated files, but a corrupted catalog. Of course I've checked the folder in Explorer and the files are not duplicated.

Seems that Lightroom has a problem with non-Latin characters...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines