• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom (V10) freezes then crashes

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to V10 my new iMac (12 months old) freezes and then crashes my system after 5 minutes or so in the develop module. It has never happened before the upgrade.

I have reset my preferences as suggested elsewhere but the situation still continues.

Whilst I can use LR, I have a limited knowledge of my computer's system and some of the posts I have seen here are a bit of mystery to me. Also I am not sure whether I need to post more information or if anyone from Adobe will look at my post and help me? Indeed I am not sure whether this is the best forum for a problem such as this?

Look forward to hearing from someone as LR is unusable in its current state.

Many thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your computer is crashing, then you have either a bad/corrupted/out-of-date driver, or hardware malfunction somewhere. First re-install all of your drivers. If that doesn't help then run diagnostics on your hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. SYS INFO

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

GoldingD_0-1604508724996.png

GoldingD_1-1604508724997.png

GoldingD_2-1604508724997.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 RESET PREFERENCES FILE (verify)

I have reset my preferences as suggested elsewhere but the situation still continues.

As described in:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

correct?

just checking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3. CATALOG ISSUE?

Create a new catalog. Work with the new catalog for awhile. Does it crash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4. PLUG-IN ISSUES?

In LrC, bring up Plug-in Manager, inspect the third party Plug-ins fir problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5. CRASH REPORT?

Do you have a Crash Report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7. ANY ERROR MESSAGES?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8. OFFICIAL ADOBE FEEDBACK SITE

This community page is mostly visited by fellow customers. To actually get an Adobe Twch involved, post at the official feedback site.

A problem (well probably more than one) discussion already exists, that you should probably add yourself to.

see:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-

When you add yourself, include all the info from above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, I managed to get a solution by visiting the correct place. I now understand the Adobe support system better! Incidently the solution is to turn off the Graphics processor in Preferences (although I have yet to find out if it slows down my work).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem on my Mac (since upgrading to v10). Have also reset preferences, to no avail. Hopefully Adobe recognizes this issue and resolves it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried disabling the GPU as described by the original poster? If not, then please do so and report back on what happens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - yes, I've switched GPU off and have been able to edit in the Develop module for a while now, so that appears to have worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem this evening on my Mac Pro 5.1, 3.46 Ghz hexcore, 48 GB ram, running 10.4.6 Mojave, Lightroom Classic 10.1.  I first noticed it while trying to adjust the aspect ratio in the Develop module--it froze up, and I got the spinning beachball.  The mouse, keyboard--nothing responded.  I had to turn off the Mac at the switch.  When I turned it back on, same thing.

But I came here, read a few threads that didn't relate to my problem, and then found this and another thread or two.  I didn't really want do mess with uninstalling and then installing LRC 10.0, so I went to preferences, switched off the GPU acceleration, and . . . voila! . . . everything seems to be working again.  Fingers crossed. . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for reporting back with your findings.

As you've no doubt noticed, there are a number of folk on both Mac and Windows reporting freeze and crash issues with 10.1, which are resolved by disabling GPU support. However, disabling the GPU can result in reduced performance when using some tools within the Develop module (e.g. local adjustments, texture, clarity, dehaze and noise). Therefore, if performance is important, then you may wish to revert to LrC 10. The process is quite simple when using the Adobe Creative Cloud App.

• Launch the CC App
  • Choose All Apps
  • Click on the 3-dots button to right of Lightroom Classic
  • Choose 'Other Versions (see below screenshot).

Note that you do not need to unintstall 10.1 as this is handled by the version downgrade process.

Downgrade-Lightroom-Classic-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Ian!  Installing 10.0 in place of 10.1 was very easy, and far quicker than what I'd imagined it'd be.

After launching LRC 10.0, I went to preferences and adjusted the graphics processor acceleration to Auto, where it had been, and I could definitely tell a difference.  All seems well again--though I wonder if LRC 10.2 will make any adjustments to correct the glitch so many of us have experienced.

I checked to make sure my graphics card, an AMD Radeon HD 7950 (3 GB), scored over 2000 on the graphics benchmark, as specified by Adobe, and it does (2725).  Wow, there are some FAST cards out there, but not many for my Mac Pro 5.1. . . .

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines