• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Video Cache Problem Still Exists

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been running LR ever since version 3 and never experienced the documented Video Cache bug until two weeks ago.  I'm running LR ver 8.2.1 and on April 14 it loaded over 30 GB of video into the cache on my OS drive.  I looked at all the previous threads on this but I'm faced with a problem that when I open the LR Preferences and go to try to clear the cache and set it to a low number there are no settings showing on the file handling tab to do this.  I'm surprised that this well known bug continues to haunt LR users and I'm fortunate in not having a lot of videos and have a 500GB OS drive so the additional 30 or so GB of videos didn't affect things too much.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to procede from here.  Do I need to do an uninstall/reinstall of LR to clear this problem up?  Has the video cache setting moved to a new location?  Will Adobe fix this once and for all for those of us who never do video in LR?

TIA, AlanCapture.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

So what I suggest is to stop importing Videos into the LR catalog. Move all videos to separate folders, away from your Still images and use some other program to access them.

If you do that you won't run up against this problem.

I've been using LR on my main desktop, the same desktop PC, for 9 years and have never had this problem. But then I rarely shoot videos and if I do I do not import them into LR or store them in the same folders as my still images.

Could and should Adobe fix this or at least

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what I suggest is to stop importing Videos into the LR catalog. Move all videos to separate folders, away from your Still images and use some other program to access them.

If you do that you won't run up against this problem.

I've been using LR on my main desktop, the same desktop PC, for 9 years and have never had this problem. But then I rarely shoot videos and if I do I do not import them into LR or store them in the same folders as my still images.

Could and should Adobe fix this or at least allow the user to change the Vid Cache folder? A BIG YES. But they haven't and it seems they won't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response.  The videos, ironically, were all from the Luminous Landscape on how to use LR and Photoshop.  They were in a separate folder on my data drive and have never been cached by LR until I updated to ver 8.2.1 the other week.  I don't shoot video at all.  I guess I should not be surprised about the bug in LR and Adobe not wanting to waste time fixing it.  I had to update from Win 8.1 to Win 10 because LR is no longer supported on the previous version of Windows and my Nikon Z6 was useless in terms of LR unless I updated. 

Thank you for telling me where the Purge Cache setting is.  I've eliminated all the movie files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have found if during an import if you select a folder in the Source (Left Hand panel of the import dialog) that has videos in it LR auto starts making previews of them and places those previews in the Vid Cache folder. Even if you don't import them the preview get made of them.

This has happened a couple of time to me also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the Purge cache setting is on the performance tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines