• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5.3 (Perpetual) won't import my photos

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 5.3 with OS 10.8.5. Out of the blue I cannot import photos. I've experienced two things: at first the application would seemingly hang-up indefinitely as if were going to import, but nothing happened. I tried importing everything on the card (100~ images) and just one photo. Now I'm getting the following message:

The following files were not imported because they could not be read. (1)

I've restarted my computer, tried running only LIghtroom, etc. Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

I ended up copying the files from my CD card to my computer and then importing them successfully into LR. Not a good solution, but at least it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue with LR 5.3.  Immediately after I upgraded from 5.2 (Windows), I have been unable to import.  I posted this in another thread but no response. 

I deleted my preferences, optimized, and actually created a new catalog.  However, no import.  I have also tried with 3 difference SD cards (all from camera, external SD reader and internal SD reader). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up copying the files from my CD card to my computer and then importing them successfully into LR. Not a good solution, but at least it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad you got it working (albeit somewhat).I have also tried copying to my HD and get the same result (nothing imports)

Maybe Adobe will update this or the other threads that are discussing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how did you solve your problem? ... I have the same. but no solution 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. "The following images were not imported because they could not be read." I was able to import these same raw images into Aperture recently just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only happened to me after upgrading from 5.2 to 5.3.  Before then, I never had a problem importing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so we are seeing three people with apparently the same issue.

Please state your OS and from where you are trying to move from - to.

It sounds like a permissions thing so check permissions on the folder and drive where you are copying to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using OS 10.8.5 I checked the permissions on the folder and drive I'm trying to copy to and everything looks fine. I didn't change anything before having this problem this morning. I use a SanDisk card reader and import directly from the card to the newly created (by Lightroom) folders in my Pictures folder. I copied the photos manually from the card to to an appropriate folder on m Mac and had no trouble afterwards importing the photos into Lightroom. Also had no problem importing the same photos from the card into Aperture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks DanSing, can you import if the folder was created with Lightroom?? When it worked on the already d/loaded files did you Add or Move?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prior to having this problem yesterday I always had Lightroom create the folder I was importing to. When it worked on the already downloaded files I used the Copy function, which I believe is what it defaults to when I'm importing. Thanks Geoff the Kiwi for giving this some thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am basically having the same problem... was downloading directly from camera with no problem, then 3 days ago, my camera doesn't even show up... tried a different cord to tether and no go... will accept card, nothing has changed, same camera, 6D raw files,  have LR CC (which was updated over the weekend) ...have downloaded the dang converter ect... nothing works..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating to Lightroom 6.6.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks... I have lightroom CC updated on one comp...and wont work, comp I didnt update...works... go figure... it is a CC problem I think

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dm50921598 wrote:

thanks... I have lightroom CC updated on one comp...and wont work, comp I didnt update...works... go figure... it is a CC problem I think

Please provide more details... there are many OS's and Lightroom versions mentioned in the thread. What are yours and where are you importing from and to???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom CC 2015.6 Release, Camera raw 9.6 I import directly from Camera into Lightroom. (or did) I have a Canon 6D and a Canon 7D ... I was importing on my Mac Pro, through lightroom to an external harddrive. Everything was fine until I updated LR & Photoshop over the past weekend. I didn't update my desktop (Windows 10) and was able to upload directly from camera to it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.... I Presume you are getting and error message that says something about "cannot read files"???

It sounds like the permissions have been altered somehow for the external drive...

Can you reset them to Read and Write for the Drive being sure to "Apply to enclosed items" as in this screen shot.

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 2.56.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I had figured out the steps except for "apply to enclosed items" ... was worried I'd have to go into each folder to change permissions.  You just saved me a ton of work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make that four people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new iMac and iphone 6s in the last year. the images I shoot in lightroom were uploading to my Mac lightroom library, now they're 'pending'. What gives? This should just be automatic, and it was working until recently, though I've made no changes to any settings. Ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In lightroom mobile, it says 'uploading...14 pending' but nothing happens, been trying to import for days, kinda frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue right now, in the past I have always been able to import directly from a SD card on my Mac Book Pro 15'', select a destination folder on my external hard drive adding a sub folder as well, no nothing! when in the import module it see's the card it displays the file names without previews I select all knowing I need all to import as DNG files I then head to the destination, select my external drive click to arrow down no sub folders, deside to import anyway and find out where they have gone later! nothing, import didn't start window now locked up. So I'm now left hanging in the dark, moved the files to the external drive and whent through the same process, Import - external drive - opps no sub folder. Now I have to wait until I get back to my desk top to see if I have the same problem, what I can never understand if this is a software problem which I'm sure it is why did they ever mess with it, we all click on upgrate to instal blindly beliving that it's going to be an improvement well in this case it's an F-ing disaster for me right now..... Back to Apple photos app so I can finish my location job.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just started having this issue also using Lightroom 5.3 with Windows 7. Have tried different cards and a different card reader. I use the Copy selection, in fact that is the only available option when using a card on my screen. My prompt states that Lightroom has stopped working and that Windows will try to find a solution, later a new box states that Windows will close the program and notify if a solution is available. Have to hit the close button because Windows never is able to close the program itself.

If I download from the card reader with Adobe Bridge and add to the hard drive and then import with Lightroom it worked but that is not an ideal work flow for me. Looking back at the dates of imports it looks like it began 1/10/14 or 1/12/14 on my set up.  I don't know how to check the permissions as Geoff suggests. Glad to know others are having similar problems so will use the work around until a solution is suggested.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem importing in to Lightroom 5.3. Get the message images were not imported because they could not be read. It shows the previews and then looks like it is importing but gets stuck forever in the import screen, no images show up there. It happened in early January for no reason I can figure out just out of the blue, worked fine in December! I have Mac 27 " desktop running OS x 10.7.5. I have tried deleting preference file. The only way I can import is to get the images in to a folder through another avenue. I used Adobe DNG converter, put files on an external hardrive, then imported without moving just added to catalog, this works but is a real pain. I am using Canon 5D and a Promaster card reader.  I also have a Mac Book Pro running 10.8.5 with Lightoom 5.3 and do NOT have this problem using same card reader, same CF Card and same images!

Any helpful remedies would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I successfully imported photos without any of the problems I was encountering a week ago and described above. I don't know if I did anything to resolve the problem; if I did, it was unknowingly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines