Lightroom won't import my photos

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 5.3 with OS 10.8.5. Out of the blue I cannot import photos. I've experienced two things: at first the application would seemingly hang-up indefinitely as if were going to import, but nothing happened. I tried importing everything on the card (100~ images) and just one photo. Now I'm getting the following message:

The following files were not imported because they could not be read. (1)

I've restarted my computer, tried running only LIghtroom, etc. Thanks for your help.

Correct answer by DanSing | Community Beginner

I ended up copying the files from my CD card to my computer and then importing them successfully into LR. Not a good solution, but at least it worked!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom won't import my photos

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 5.3 with OS 10.8.5. Out of the blue I cannot import photos. I've experienced two things: at first the application would seemingly hang-up indefinitely as if were going to import, but nothing happened. I tried importing everything on the card (100~ images) and just one photo. Now I'm getting the following message:

The following files were not imported because they could not be read. (1)

I've restarted my computer, tried running only LIghtroom, etc. Thanks for your help.

Correct answer by DanSing | Community Beginner

I ended up copying the files from my CD card to my computer and then importing them successfully into LR. Not a good solution, but at least it worked!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 15, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue with LR 5.3.  Immediately after I upgraded from 5.2 (Windows), I have been unable to import.  I posted this in another thread but no response. 

I deleted my preferences, optimized, and actually created a new catalog.  However, no import.  I have also tried with 3 difference SD cards (all from camera, external SD reader and internal SD reader). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad you got it working (albeit somewhat).I have also tried copying to my HD and get the same result (nothing imports)

Maybe Adobe will update this or the other threads that are discussing this issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2014 5
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how did you solve your problem? ... I have the same. but no solution 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2015 1
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. "The following images were not imported because they could not be read." I was able to import these same raw images into Aperture recently just fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2014 4
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only happened to me after upgrading from 5.2 to 5.3.  Before then, I never had a problem importing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2014 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so we are seeing three people with apparently the same issue.

Please state your OS and from where you are trying to move from - to.

It sounds like a permissions thing so check permissions on the folder and drive where you are copying to.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using OS 10.8.5 I checked the permissions on the folder and drive I'm trying to copy to and everything looks fine. I didn't change anything before having this problem this morning. I use a SanDisk card reader and import directly from the card to the newly created (by Lightroom) folders in my Pictures folder. I copied the photos manually from the card to to an appropriate folder on m Mac and had no trouble afterwards importing the photos into Lightroom. Also had no problem importing the same photos from the card into Aperture.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2014 2
Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks DanSing, can you import if the folder was created with Lightroom?? When it worked on the already d/loaded files did you Add or Move?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prior to having this problem yesterday I always had Lightroom create the folder I was importing to. When it worked on the already downloaded files I used the Copy function, which I believe is what it defaults to when I'm importing. Thanks Geoff the Kiwi for giving this some thought.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2014 0
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make that four people.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am basically having the same problem... was downloading directly from camera with no problem, then 3 days ago, my camera doesn't even show up... tried a different cord to tether and no go... will accept card, nothing has changed, same camera, 6D raw files,  have LR CC (which was updated over the weekend) ...have downloaded the dang converter ect... nothing works..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating to Lightroom 6.6.1

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks... I have lightroom CC updated on one comp...and wont work, comp I didnt update...works... go figure... it is a CC problem I think

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2016 0
Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dm50921598 wrote:

thanks... I have lightroom CC updated on one comp...and wont work, comp I didnt update...works... go figure... it is a CC problem I think

Please provide more details... there are many OS's and Lightroom versions mentioned in the thread. What are yours and where are you importing from and to???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom CC 2015.6 Release, Camera raw 9.6 I import directly from Camera into Lightroom. (or did) I have a Canon 6D and a Canon 7D ... I was importing on my Mac Pro, through lightroom to an external harddrive. Everything was fine until I updated LR & Photoshop over the past weekend. I didn't update my desktop (Windows 10) and was able to upload directly from camera to it...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2016 0
Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.... I Presume you are getting and error message that says something about "cannot read files"???

It sounds like the permissions have been altered somehow for the external drive...

Can you reset them to Read and Write for the Drive being sure to "Apply to enclosed items" as in this screen shot.

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 2.56.08 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2016 1
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new iMac and iphone 6s in the last year. the images I shoot in lightroom were uploading to my Mac lightroom library, now they're 'pending'. What gives? This should just be automatic, and it was working until recently, though I've made no changes to any settings. Ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2016 0
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In lightroom mobile, it says 'uploading...14 pending' but nothing happens, been trying to import for days, kinda frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I had figured out the steps except for "apply to enclosed items" ... was worried I'd have to go into each folder to change permissions.  You just saved me a ton of work!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue right now, in the past I have always been able to import directly from a SD card on my Mac Book Pro 15'', select a destination folder on my external hard drive adding a sub folder as well, no nothing! when in the import module it see's the card it displays the file names without previews I select all knowing I need all to import as DNG files I then head to the destination, select my external drive click to arrow down no sub folders, deside to import anyway and find out where they have gone later! nothing, import didn't start window now locked up. So I'm now left hanging in the dark, moved the files to the external drive and whent through the same process, Import - external drive - opps no sub folder. Now I have to wait until I get back to my desk top to see if I have the same problem, what I can never understand if this is a software problem which I'm sure it is why did they ever mess with it, we all click on upgrate to instal blindly beliving that it's going to be an improvement well in this case it's an F-ing disaster for me right now..... Back to Apple photos app so I can finish my location job.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just started having this issue also using Lightroom 5.3 with Windows 7. Have tried different cards and a different card reader. I use the Copy selection, in fact that is the only available option when using a card on my screen. My prompt states that Lightroom has stopped working and that Windows will try to find a solution, later a new box states that Windows will close the program and notify if a solution is available. Have to hit the close button because Windows never is able to close the program itself.

If I download from the card reader with Adobe Bridge and add to the hard drive and then import with Lightroom it worked but that is not an ideal work flow for me. Looking back at the dates of imports it looks like it began 1/10/14 or 1/12/14 on my set up.  I don't know how to check the permissions as Geoff suggests. Glad to know others are having similar problems so will use the work around until a solution is suggested.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2014 0
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem importing in to Lightroom 5.3. Get the message images were not imported because they could not be read. It shows the previews and then looks like it is importing but gets stuck forever in the import screen, no images show up there. It happened in early January for no reason I can figure out just out of the blue, worked fine in December! I have Mac 27 " desktop running OS x 10.7.5. I have tried deleting preference file. The only way I can import is to get the images in to a folder through another avenue. I used Adobe DNG converter, put files on an external hardrive, then imported without moving just added to catalog, this works but is a real pain. I am using Canon 5D and a Promaster card reader.  I also have a Mac Book Pro running 10.8.5 with Lightoom 5.3 and do NOT have this problem using same card reader, same CF Card and same images!

Any helpful remedies would be appreciated!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I successfully imported photos without any of the problems I was encountering a week ago and described above. I don't know if I did anything to resolve the problem; if I did, it was unknowingly. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a known issue that Adobe isn't discussing.

The best workaround I have found is to remove any videos from the storage media then try importing -- works as it should (minus videos) for me now.

I would not suggest the normal suggestion of rebooting....I mean deleting your preferences file (I already tried it). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2014 0
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Appreciate the tip.

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:07:35 -0700

To: jcwhis@msn.com

Subject: Lightroom won't import my photos

Re: Lightroom won't import my photos created by Walter Pickel in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

It is a known issue that Adobe isn't discussing.

The best workaround I have found is to remove any videos from the storage media then try importing -- works as it should (minus videos) for me now.

I would not suggest the normal suggestion of rebooting....I mean deleting your preferences file (I already tried it).

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6199540#6199540

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2014 0
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the problem.  Lightroom 5.3 on Mac running Mavericks.  Can't sync folder, can't import.  Lightroom appears to be importing or syncing, but hangs at end.  Even when just adding to lightroom - not moving or anything.  Have to quite the import and restart to get the option.  THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE I PURCHASED LIGHTROOM 5 from Creative Cloud almost a year ago, I've asked for help in forums off an on for months...yet Adobe has not addressed my problem.  Time to make some phone calls....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2014 0
Aug 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "Lightroom 5.3 on Mac running Mavericks."

Lightroom is now at version 5.6 and there have been many bugs fixed since 5.3. You could try updating. Also Mavericks had some bugs that were fixed with updates make sure you updated to the latest version (OS X 10.9.4), including iTunes (V 11.3.1)

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.1, LrC 10.1 (>10.0), Lr 4.1, Ps 22.1, Pr 14.8.0; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2014 0
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks DdeGannes,

I tried updating to 5.6.  It didn't fix it.    I tried repairing permissions on the drive where the Lightroom catalog and images are stored.  Didn't fix it.   I did get it to work in Safe Mode, so perhaps there's a software conflict somewhere or perhaps the problem temporarily went away as it often does.    This has been an intermittent problem for quite a while and last night was the worst it's ever been.   I'm hoping the problem doesn't come back.   If it does come back... and I'm guessing it will... I'll try resetting Lightroom preferences.  I am using OS X 10.9.4 and Itunes V.11.3.1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2014 0
Aug 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Permissions likely don't need repairing but need resetting.

Use cmd-i on all your relevant drives and folders and ensure Apply to Enclosed Items has been applied to give permission.

Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 9.58.09 am.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2014 1
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Geoff!

I will give it a try!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2014 0
Contributor ,
Aug 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround to this problem was to just uncheck "Show import dialog before importing" and it worked fine.  Has anyone else tried this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2014 1
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It doesn't work for me.

www.gregwhitephoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2014 0
Contributor ,
Aug 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer.  The only other thing I did that might have helped is in the Info dialog, at the bottom in Sharing and Permissions, I assigned everyone in the list Read & Write permissions and then clicked the Options gear icon and clicked "Apply to enclosed items".  Then, after importing successfully, I reverted permissions to what they were before.  Hope this works.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2014 0
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried, it doesn't work for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2015 0
Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is your problem? I guess it is importing.

tell us what your system is (OS)and Lightroom version. You are trying to import from where to where??

Responding to an old thread with little information makes it difficult to help....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2015 0
New Here ,
May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I am having the same issue when it comes to trying to import my photos. I use windows 8 and have Lightroom 5.3. I have never had this issue before but yesterday when I tried to import pictures I can see a grey box where the preview should be and it says preview can not be supported. If I try to import them anyway it says that it failed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG this fixed it for me.... permissions were set to read only

Why was this answer so hard to find?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have windows 8.1 and Lightroom 5.7.  Importing stops after a short while, restarting computer last 2 times allowed only 4 more pictures to be imported.  I tried just making a new catalog for the current year yet it stops at the same folder.  In that folder there is nothing special, just Raw and Jpegs, no movies.  It took in 2/3rds of them but then gives up.  I have the sony playmemories that came with my camera and it views the photos just fine so I don't think there are corrupted files.  But that sony program is barebones for editing.

I don't understand how to try the 'Permissions' posting that worked for some previously.  Is that in Lightroom? The operating system?  Could you provide more info of what sequence and menus to go through?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uninstalled and the re-installed lightroom multiple times. I am running the latest version of El Captian on my Mac. I have had multiple calls to Apple as it seems to completely lock up my Mac when I am trying to import my pictures. And it is ONLY on my iMac, I am also using a Mac-Book, with the same OS system. No issues at all with Importing my pictures off my hard-drive. So why is it just my iMac?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2016 0