• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5.3 (Perpetual) won't import my photos

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 5.3 with OS 10.8.5. Out of the blue I cannot import photos. I've experienced two things: at first the application would seemingly hang-up indefinitely as if were going to import, but nothing happened. I tried importing everything on the card (100~ images) and just one photo. Now I'm getting the following message:

The following files were not imported because they could not be read. (1)

I've restarted my computer, tried running only LIghtroom, etc. Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

I ended up copying the files from my CD card to my computer and then importing them successfully into LR. Not a good solution, but at least it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a known issue that Adobe isn't discussing.

The best workaround I have found is to remove any videos from the storage media then try importing -- works as it should (minus videos) for me now.

I would not suggest the normal suggestion of rebooting....I mean deleting your preferences file (I already tried it). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Appreciate the tip.

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:07:35 -0700

To: jcwhis@msn.com

Subject: Lightroom won't import my photos

Re: Lightroom won't import my photos created by Walter Pickel in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

It is a known issue that Adobe isn't discussing.

The best workaround I have found is to remove any videos from the storage media then try importing -- works as it should (minus videos) for me now.

I would not suggest the normal suggestion of rebooting....I mean deleting your preferences file (I already tried it).

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6199540#6199540

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the problem.  Lightroom 5.3 on Mac running Mavericks.  Can't sync folder, can't import.  Lightroom appears to be importing or syncing, but hangs at end.  Even when just adding to lightroom - not moving or anything.  Have to quite the import and restart to get the option.  THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE I PURCHASED LIGHTROOM 5 from Creative Cloud almost a year ago, I've asked for help in forums off an on for months...yet Adobe has not addressed my problem.  Time to make some phone calls....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2014 Aug 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "Lightroom 5.3 on Mac running Mavericks."

Lightroom is now at version 5.6 and there have been many bugs fixed since 5.3. You could try updating. Also Mavericks had some bugs that were fixed with updates make sure you updated to the latest version (OS X 10.9.4), including iTunes (V 11.3.1)

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks DdeGannes,

I tried updating to 5.6.  It didn't fix it.    I tried repairing permissions on the drive where the Lightroom catalog and images are stored.  Didn't fix it.   I did get it to work in Safe Mode, so perhaps there's a software conflict somewhere or perhaps the problem temporarily went away as it often does.    This has been an intermittent problem for quite a while and last night was the worst it's ever been.   I'm hoping the problem doesn't come back.   If it does come back... and I'm guessing it will... I'll try resetting Lightroom preferences.  I am using OS X 10.9.4 and Itunes V.11.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Permissions likely don't need repairing but need resetting.

Use cmd-i on all your relevant drives and folders and ensure Apply to Enclosed Items has been applied to give permission.

Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 9.58.09 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Geoff!

I will give it a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 28, 2014 Aug 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround to this problem was to just uncheck "Show import dialog before importing" and it worked fine.  Has anyone else tried this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It doesn't work for me.

www.gregwhitephoto.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer.  The only other thing I did that might have helped is in the Info dialog, at the bottom in Sharing and Permissions, I assigned everyone in the list Read & Write permissions and then clicked the Options gear icon and clicked "Apply to enclosed items".  Then, after importing successfully, I reverted permissions to what they were before.  Hope this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried, it doesn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is your problem? I guess it is importing.

tell us what your system is (OS)and Lightroom version. You are trying to import from where to where??

Responding to an old thread with little information makes it difficult to help....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I am having the same issue when it comes to trying to import my photos. I use windows 8 and have Lightroom 5.3. I have never had this issue before but yesterday when I tried to import pictures I can see a grey box where the preview should be and it says preview can not be supported. If I try to import them anyway it says that it failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG this fixed it for me.... permissions were set to read only

Why was this answer so hard to find?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have windows 8.1 and Lightroom 5.7.  Importing stops after a short while, restarting computer last 2 times allowed only 4 more pictures to be imported.  I tried just making a new catalog for the current year yet it stops at the same folder.  In that folder there is nothing special, just Raw and Jpegs, no movies.  It took in 2/3rds of them but then gives up.  I have the sony playmemories that came with my camera and it views the photos just fine so I don't think there are corrupted files.  But that sony program is barebones for editing.

I don't understand how to try the 'Permissions' posting that worked for some previously.  Is that in Lightroom? The operating system?  Could you provide more info of what sequence and menus to go through?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uninstalled and the re-installed lightroom multiple times. I am running the latest version of El Captian on my Mac. I have had multiple calls to Apple as it seems to completely lock up my Mac when I am trying to import my pictures. And it is ONLY on my iMac, I am also using a Mac-Book, with the same OS system. No issues at all with Importing my pictures off my hard-drive. So why is it just my iMac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2015 Aug 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would appear the Adobe and Microsoft are trying to see which can embed the stupidest errors in its software.

If there are any movies present in the folder from which images are to be imported no images are shown in grid view even though the individual images may be viewed in the import window. The actual import process won't even start. To solve this problem simply move the movies elsewhere so they are not part of the import and the process will proceed normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this same issue last night.

I was able to resolve it by restarting my computer.

Here's how I was able to create the issue.

I was previously using Lightroom 5.7 on OSX 10.10.5

I had recently upgraded to Lightroom CC.

I launched Lightroom from my dock expecting CC, but 5.7 launched, so I launched CC - I'm guessing it was the first time I had launched Lightroom CC.

I closed down 5.7 and started to work in CC, but ran into the import issue when I tried to import from an external Lacie drive via Thunderbolt.

I closed down CC, then restarted my computer.

This time I launched Lightroom CC without touching 5.7

It worked for me, hopefully someone else will find this useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's worked for me thus far has been to drag and drop files from the origin folder directly into LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that worked for me too.  And while it's not the greatest solution (which would be for Adobe to get the thumb out), I can at least get my work done.

LR 5.6 on Windows 7 64-bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2015 Oct 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  Lightroom CC on my Macbook Pro.  Although it may have been a coincidence, all was well until I installed the Lightroom app on my Android and iPad in order to sync photos. Regardless, in attempting to import from a card or from the desktop, 1.) an entirely new screen unlike the standard Lightroom window pops up with options to "Add photos from a source," as shown below 2.) no option is given as to where (which folder) to import these photos to in Lightroom, 3.) some or none of the files will "Copy and Import" randomly to a random, unselected folder, 4.) importing will get hung up indefinitely, and 5.) "An internal error has occurred. assertion failed!" may or may not appear, as shown below.  I have uninstalled the apps on my phone and iPad as well as rebooted numerous times without any successful outcome.  Any revelations out there???  Frustrating!!!

Screen Shot 2015-10-17 at 9.38.37 AM copy.jpgScreen Shot 2015-10-17 at 9.17.21 AM copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem! I hope someone who knows how to correct this error response soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me as well with the recent update and switch back to old import.

I was able to get import to work with closing Lightroom, unplugging and and replugging my card reader and restarting Lightroom.

Hope this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All me to the list of this very bad and embarrassing issue for LR5. All worked fine for a few months and recently due to upgrades??? to Lightroom 5.6 and MacbookPro (10.11).

Hope someone will fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done the same thing.  It still will not move forward in importing.  Just like the above screen shots.  Exact issue here.  Weird thing is, it works fine on my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines