• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5.3 (Perpetual) won't import my photos

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 5.3 with OS 10.8.5. Out of the blue I cannot import photos. I've experienced two things: at first the application would seemingly hang-up indefinitely as if were going to import, but nothing happened. I tried importing everything on the card (100~ images) and just one photo. Now I'm getting the following message:

The following files were not imported because they could not be read. (1)

I've restarted my computer, tried running only LIghtroom, etc. Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

I ended up copying the files from my CD card to my computer and then importing them successfully into LR. Not a good solution, but at least it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine was doing this and updating my iOS to El Capitan fixed it. Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2015 Nov 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to think that through some brilliant technological revelation I'd resolved this.  Nope.  After returning from a trip to Italy, I apprehensively plugged my card full of travel photos into my computer, prepared to curse again.  Bingo!  Import worked flawlessly...which makes this all the more confusing (as I described in post #34).  Additionally, I imported several images from my desktop without that interminable error message ever appearing.  I'd previously tried every appropriate fix suggested without resolution, so I am at a loss, other than confirming that patience is a virtue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I upgraded my OS from Win 7 Professional to Windows 10.  Today, when I tried to import raw photos from today's shoot, I got the subject response.  I tried several things, but then realized that the error message was pointing to the target, not the SD card.  When I looked into the Destination Folders on the right, it was pointing to C:\Users, not C:\Users\John\Pictures.  Once I changed the destination, it worked OK.  I do not know if it will remember my choice, but worked this time.

Dr. PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. The program just hangs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If LR is hanging, you are having a very different problem than this thread describes.

Please start a new thread and include lots and lots of details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this issue with LR 6.3 / CC hanging or not importing all of my NEF photos -- either from my camera or from the HD.  As mentioned by other posters, the fix is to remove any movie files from the directory being imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 6.3 there is an issue with the video plugin that is causing this.  Updating the plugin using the replacement in this link fixed it for me.

Error "Sequencer defunct" when using video file related functions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem.  Since last update I can't import any photos at all.  Using Windows 7 and Lightroom CC 2015.4 and getting frustrated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem was solved by contacting support and they sorted it out for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated LR and then it wouldn't import .cr2 files from my camera.  So...I uploaded files into iPhoto then pulled out one of the .cr2 files and copied it to the desktop and imported that into LR.  Then, for reasons inexplicable, I was able from then on to import directly from my camera. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this same issue and was in a complete panic.   Rebooted.  Changed my import sequence, etc.  All to no avail.   Until.....I realized that i had checked a box (upper right corner of import dialog window)  that stated 'Do not import suspected duplicates.'  I had not previously imported the photos (to my knowledge)  but everything imported perfectly once I unchecked this box.  This may be an over simplified point but it solved my problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran into this same issue this morning..   Latest Adobe Lightroom CC 2015.3.  Win10, 20G ram....  .  Imported first 16G CF card full of photos, when to import 2nd CF card (32G) , no previews, no love.  (all pics and movies shot with a canon 7D) Checked I had the latest updates, rebooted, retried, nothing..  no previews, no dates but if I clicked on the image it showed up.  Fired up explorer, dragged all the files over to an SSD drive... tried to import that.  NOTHING. 

Card differences -

1 - 16G card with pictures

2 - 32G card with pictures and movies... 

recalled someone above deleted the movies.  Nuked the movies from the card, retried and import fine..   moved the movies to another folder on the SSD and then clicked import on the SSD folder  to see what it would find.   All previews show up fine, didn't import but at least it appears if you have movies it 'could' be a factor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just did it! moved the videos to a different folder and voila! LR imported all my photos again! thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue. The problem was solved for me when I paused file syncing on my CC app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue! Lots of pics to edit and now this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Describe your problem in detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whitneya65462151 wrote:

Im having the same issue! Lots of pics to edit and now this!!!

What is happening? Your OS and Lightroom version???

You are importing from where to where and how??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Geoff, I'm having the same issue. I just upgraded to a new Mac, downloaded and installed my adobe cc applications using the same id as on my old macbook pro. I've tried uploading two different sd cards, both in the built-in sd slot on the macbook pro and using the card reader I've always used. I'm running 10.11.2 system software, lightroom cc 2015.5 with camera raw 9.5. When I import photos, all of my pictures show up in the import dialog, but when I hit import, it proceeds very quickly then tells me the files could not be read. If I navigate directly to the images folder, the import dialog hangs in perpetuity, with nothing ever downloading. I did have a movie file in there, which based on early comments in this thread I moved to my hard drive then deleted off of the sd card. It did not help. I also deleted then reinstalled lightroom, that also did not help. Would LOVE any new ideas you have! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot be read

This means that the destination folder does not have READ&WRITE permission. You need to change the permissions on the destination folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heh. Was just writing to say I solved the problem, and that was it exactly. I discovered this when attempting to open another lightroom folder on the same hard drive, and I received the error 'does not have permission to read or write.' I went in and changed the permissions on the entire drive and it works now. The unanswerable question is, how did those permissions get changed on an external drive I use ALL the time? Ah, the mysteries of life. Thank you for confirming the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How? You have a new Mac, which didn't give the EHD write permission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent 4 hours trying to import photos from I phone & Canon camera. Last imported photos on MAC in January 2016 without any difficulty. Will not load any new photos from camera. Rebooted with no luck. Photos from phone cannot be read. Checked and there are not any updates for Lightroom due. Have a MacBook Air. Very frustrating. Any help or suggestions would be great. Checked permissions. Says read & write.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2016 May 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please state the version NUMBER of Lightroom you are using and your operating system version.

Please state the exact camera model(s) that you are using when you have this problem.

Please state the exact unedited word-for-word verbatim error message you are getting when you are trying to import.

Please state the exact folder on which you checked permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 14, 2016 May 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook: version OS X El Capitan. Lightroom 5 version 5.71. Trying to import photos from IPhone 6. Copy to Seagate Plus Drive/Lightroom Library > Import into Subfolder. Click import: White box pops up: "Some import operations were not performed. The following files were not imported because they could not be read." Then lists the photos IMG_1887.JPG. I cannot find the permissions section this morning that I went to last night. May need guidance.

When importing from Camera Cannon EOS Reel T3i. Cannon selected as source > Copy as DNG>Seagate Plus Drive/Lightroom Library > Import into Subfolder. When I click import the new photos . White box pops up: "Some import operations were not performed. The following files were not imported because they could not be read."I last used the program January 2016 and uploaded photos from holidays and worked fine.

Thank you for your quick response

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines