• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom won't import NEF files from Nikon D780

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom won't import NEF files from Nikon D780. I have the latest Lightroom Classic 9.1 and the latest Camera Raw 12.1. This should be no different than the Z6 or Z7, I would think. Any ideas about what I should try? Or do I have to wait for Adobe to include this camera? It seems a shame to pay for a new camera and not be able to edit photos.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Skwizard is correct. Adobe has not published a Camera Raw interpreter for the D780 yet.

With Classic updates appearing appoximately every two months, you may not have long to wait.

For the immediate use you could use Nikon's free Capture NX-D to convert raw NEFs to TIFF, or shoot RAW+JPG and use the JPGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Same problem! Just talked to them, they will release the next update within a week (so before Friday Feb 14th 2020) and the D780 will be included!

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Hi All, 

We're happy to announce the release of Lightroom Classic 9.2

This update includes the support of Nikon D780 camera. Check out the list of newly added camera in this release here: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I think they haven't added this camera yet. You can check it on their website: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Best regards,

Mantavya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote ”Or do I have to wait for Adobe to include this camera? It seems a shame to pay for a new camera and not be able to edit”

Simple answer is yes, Adobe is not involved in the manufacture of cameras, Nikon is the manufacturer of your camera and provides software to process the RAW data captured by the camera and each model has some updates or unique features and requires specific changes for the raw files to be processed.

Adobe is a third party provider of software for processing raw file data from digital cameras and they are unable to complete the process of creating the profiles necessary to render the data and test their process, until the camera is released to the market. The last update to their software was done in Dec 2019 and the D780 was released in Jan 2020.

It's likely support will be available with the next update, the date for updates are not provided by Adobe.

To wit, Nikons process is proprietary as is other camera manufacturers, Adobe provides an alternative process and if that is the software of your choice then there will be a delay in support.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skwizard is correct. Adobe has not published a Camera Raw interpreter for the D780 yet.

With Classic updates appearing appoximately every two months, you may not have long to wait.

For the immediate use you could use Nikon's free Capture NX-D to convert raw NEFs to TIFF, or shoot RAW+JPG and use the JPGs.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem! Just talked to them, they will release the next update within a week (so before Friday Feb 14th 2020) and the D780 will be included!

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

We're happy to announce the release of Lightroom Classic 9.2

This update includes the support of Nikon D780 camera. Check out the list of newly added camera in this release here: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit,

Just upgraded to LR Classic 9.2 and Camera Raw 12.2 - Still unable to import NEF files from my new D780. Any thoughts on how else to troubleshoot?

Thanks - Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I like to have the original NEF shots on a separate file my PC, so I send files there first.. I quickly scan which photos I want to spend time editing, and I'm then able to import fewer files from PC to Lightroom. I updated last night and was able to import about 100 NEF files from PC for a concert I photographed. For what it's worth, I did not update Canera RAW, as I really don't use Photoshop at all.

I did think of something that I don't think is possible, but I'll mention it. Before the updte, I decided to shoot both RAW and JPEG, so I could process photos and then go back later with the RAW files, after the update (I typically shoot RAW only.) This became a major pain separatring JPEG and RAW files. I've never seen any info on this, but is it at all possible to send RAW files to one SD card, and JPEG to the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bric999,

Your post contains several topics I will try to address-

I like to have the original NEF shots on a separate file my PC, so I send files there first.

Lr-Classic can do that for you in the Import process! You can 'Copy' your camera files to any connected drive (internal or external) using the Import dialog.

I quickly scan which photos I want to spend time editing,

How do you "scan"?  If you imported all you files you can easily do the scan in Lr. Why waste time with other software. (except maybe PhotoMechanic)

and I'm then able to import fewer files from PC to Lightroom.

Import only adds small previews to the catalog database- why should it be a worry not to import all your photos. It might be the one you do not import that is the 'winner'.

I updated last night and was able to import about 100 NEF files from PC for a concert I photographed. For what it's worth, I did not update Canera RAW, as I really don't use Photoshop at all.

Even if you use it rarely- a compatible Camera Raw version helps with the Lr>Ps process. [Ctrl+E] works  simpler- the RAW goes to Ps without any interrupting dialog.

I did think of something that I don't think is possible, but I'll mention it. Before the updte, I decided to shoot both RAW and JPEG, so I could process photos and then go back later with the RAW files, after the update (I typically shoot RAW only.) This became a major pain separatring JPEG and RAW files. I've never seen any info on this,

The filter bar using 'Attributes' can easily filter your photos to show only JPG or RAWs- not hard at all.

And a Preference option determines if you see the JPGs in the catalog, or not. There really is no point in editing the JPGs if you later want those edits applied to the RAW. (althought there are plugins that can do this).

but is it at all possible to send RAW files to one SD card, and JPEG to the other?

"send ...to...SD".  This would be an 'in-camera' menu setting for shooting- depends on your camera model. Lightroom-Classic cannot send or save photos to SD cards (or any media it determines is a camera card. ).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines