Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Workflow Questions

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I currently use Capture One to process images... and still might but want to look at the possibility of using Lightroom. I have a couple of questions though and hope someone may be able to answer these.

I currently use a Lacie 2Big Dock for storing most of my imagery (in a RAID) but I also have a few1tb pcie drives that I use when moving from desktop to laptop when I'm out and about.

1. Could I have all the actual files on the 2Big Dock (desktop), the LR Catelogue on the portable drive?

2. If so, would I still be able to work on the files (keywording and processing) using just the catelogue on the portable drive when using my laptop. I understand I'd need to use the desktop connected to the 2BigDock when exporting files, creating tiffs etc.

3. The main problem I have with LR is that it only supports alphabetically sorted keywords. Ironic really as I need to rank them in order for Adobe Stock. Is it possible to create an export routine that would copy/send jpg copies to another drive, create a folder there with the same name as the folder that they'e coming from?

4. Is it possible for LR to keep full size images on the local hard drive and only send thumbnails to the cloud (saving space) and similar to the portabe drive, make keyword and processing changes as long as Exports etc are done from the desktop with the attached storage?

5. I could then use C1 to keyword them or, Photo Mechanic but are there any Adobe options that would allow me to rank keywords in the Jpgs... like Bridge or something?

6. Does LR do tethering? If so, will would it work with a Sony A9?

Hope this makes sense... thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you are talking about Lightroom Classic and not Lightroom. Please be specific. If you're not sure of the differences, please see this: https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic/lightroom-cc-vs-lightroom-classic.html

1. Yes
  2. If the photos are on the external drive, then Yes. Or you could create smart previews and work with those without the photos being attached (with a few limitations)
  3. Not true. Lightroom Classic supports hierarchical keywords. But when you export, I believe that keywords are alphabetical.
  4. Yes (except Lightroom Classic doesn't send thumbnails to the cloud, it sends smart previews to the cloud)
  5. I don't know
  6. Yes, Lightroom Classic tethers to many cameras, but as far as I know, no Sony cameras are supported for tethering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this... I use both... classic as a jpg database only and was thinking of using Lightroom (mobile version) as a processor.

I'll take a look at what other options I have for tetherning while I'm in the studio.

At least I now know I can share thumbnails via cloud and keep the large files on the 2Big Dock DAS. I'll probably just set up a test folder with a collection of files alongside my current system to see if I can make it work for me.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, I wonder if there is a plugin for LR that will upload direct to Adobe Stock with the keywords in the correct order. I'll see what I can find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines