• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Limit smart collection to n photos

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any native method or plugin to let me limit a smart collection to a certain number of photos, taking into account my sort order? As in,

* the 100 most recent 4-star photos

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

"could a plug-in do this, if it were so coded?"

A plugin could let you choose a smart collection and then create a regular collection of the first n photos (as displayed in grid view under the current sort order). 

But beware the learning curve on the LR plugin SDK is pretty steep -- you have to learn a non-traditional language (Lua), the SDK APIs, and the limited debugging tools (print statements won't cut it). Programmers who try to just dive in by copying-and-pasting from the limited exam

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One option- You can define your Smart Collection to only show photos 'after' a specified Date (eg. after 2020/01/01)

or- ScreenShot054.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That Date field in Smart Collection can also filter for images created/edited in the last x days/weeks/months/years, if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Another thing that might help: In View > View Options, set Index Number to be displayed in the Compact and/or Expanded Cell Extras.  Also set the option Preferences > Interface > Filmstrip > Show Index Number.  This sets the "index number" for the thumbnails currently displayed in grid view and the filmstrip, so you can quickly find the 100th:

Untitled.png

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. The goal is an automated way to have photos in a Smart Collection for an Export Service, so that I don't have to manually select them. (I'm pretty adept at the software, so I'm aware of the various sorting and selecting and manual collection options.)

Out of curiosity, could a plug-in do this, if it were so coded? I used to do programming -- might be worth dusting off my skills.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"could a plug-in do this, if it were so coded?"

A plugin could let you choose a smart collection and then create a regular collection of the first n photos (as displayed in grid view under the current sort order). 

But beware the learning curve on the LR plugin SDK is pretty steep -- you have to learn a non-traditional language (Lua), the SDK APIs, and the limited debugging tools (print statements won't cut it). Programmers who try to just dive in by copying-and-pasting from the limited examples out there generally find they would have saved time but investing 6 hours or so reading up on the language and the SDK first.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines