Highlighted

link LR catalogue to backup hard drive

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I would like to know how to access the Lightroom data on my back up hard drive. My main hard drive has failed, I have backed up the catalogue and I have backed up the photos on another hard drive. What is the process of activating the backup HD?  Many thanks in advance. Ian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

link LR catalogue to backup hard drive

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I would like to know how to access the Lightroom data on my back up hard drive. My main hard drive has failed, I have backed up the catalogue and I have backed up the photos on another hard drive. What is the process of activating the backup HD?  Many thanks in advance. Ian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the catalog file, then follow the instructions from Figure 4 of this document: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link! Looks like I'll have to use the find folder function because I didn't make an exact cloned copy. If I had a cloned back up, would LR recognise all the photos straight away?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the folder hierarchy was identical, just on a different disk, then Figure 4 is the only step needed, and every folder gets reconnected.

Making backups that are not exact identical cloned copies of the originals is not recommended, for the reasons you now encounter.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it all makes sense. I'll make a clone in future.

Ian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines