Highlighted

Lock photos to prevent star rating or color flag changes (not only develop changes)

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The process I follow when using Lightroom Classic is to import, star rate, develop and, finally, when I'm done I use a color flag to mark the photo as "do not touch, I finished with this".

However, it has happened more than once that I'm on the library module, using the grid view and more than one photo selected and, accidentally, I press a shortcut like "2" or "6" and then, accidentally, I mark many photos with a different color flag or a different star classification.

If I realize the mistake I can press ctrl-Z and undo the change but if not... you can loose a lot of work by mistake and be aware of that a week afterwards!. Well, I have to admit I use lightroom as a hobby (I mean it is not my job) and my children have access to my computer and like to see photos, but even in that case, imagine the waste of time if someone selects the whole library and press any shortcut... !!!!!!! 

What I mean is that we are all 3 clicks away to waste a lot of work because, to my understanding, there is not any way to "lock a photo".

I'm writing this after reading several posts trying to explain that there is no need to lock a photo because you can take snapshots or any other tecniques... but I don't agree a snapshot is what I need to prevent these accidental issues to occur. 

Does anyone suffered the same problem? Can any of you post a method to prevent this? 

I mark also this as "Feature request" because I really think it would be helpful to have any way to lock a photo for any change.

Many thanks for your help!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by johnrellis | Most Valuable Participant

Many people have requested the ability to lock photos against further changes -- see this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all product feedback:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/locking_photos_please_protect_me_from_myself

Please add your constructive opinion to the request and and be sure to click Vote and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified if they do.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lock photos to prevent star rating or color flag changes (not only develop changes)

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The process I follow when using Lightroom Classic is to import, star rate, develop and, finally, when I'm done I use a color flag to mark the photo as "do not touch, I finished with this".

However, it has happened more than once that I'm on the library module, using the grid view and more than one photo selected and, accidentally, I press a shortcut like "2" or "6" and then, accidentally, I mark many photos with a different color flag or a different star classification.

If I realize the mistake I can press ctrl-Z and undo the change but if not... you can loose a lot of work by mistake and be aware of that a week afterwards!. Well, I have to admit I use lightroom as a hobby (I mean it is not my job) and my children have access to my computer and like to see photos, but even in that case, imagine the waste of time if someone selects the whole library and press any shortcut... !!!!!!! 

What I mean is that we are all 3 clicks away to waste a lot of work because, to my understanding, there is not any way to "lock a photo".

I'm writing this after reading several posts trying to explain that there is no need to lock a photo because you can take snapshots or any other tecniques... but I don't agree a snapshot is what I need to prevent these accidental issues to occur. 

Does anyone suffered the same problem? Can any of you post a method to prevent this? 

I mark also this as "Feature request" because I really think it would be helpful to have any way to lock a photo for any change.

Many thanks for your help!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by johnrellis | Most Valuable Participant

Many people have requested the ability to lock photos against further changes -- see this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all product feedback:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/locking_photos_please_protect_me_from_myself

Please add your constructive opinion to the request and and be sure to click Vote and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified if they do.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of any way to lock a photo so that it cannot be edited. However, there is the history that you can review and retrace steps if necessary. And, it's possible to create snapshots at different stages of your editing that you can revert to. And, of course, you can always turn to catalog backups. Another thought would be to create a virtual copy. Lots of options to protect yourself, but I don't believe there is a lock to completely "freeze" a photo from being edited.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Jim for your reply. 

However, what I'm looking for is a way to prevent and not a way to recover.

I remember when we had WHS or music tapes and broke write-protect-tab on the side. Of course you could have a backup to recover if required, but sometimes was useful to prevent accidental writing. High technology as you can see ...  😉

As said, many thanks anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the thing you have to realize is that you aren't really modifying the image file itself. You are dealing with a database record, a catalog entry. The image file itself isn't being modified at all. And what you are asking would be a method to lock individual Catalog or database records. I don't think that is logical or within the scope of what the Adobe engineers are focusing on. I could be wrong, however.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that's what I need: a method to lock individual catalog or database record. To me sounds more than logical.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO the simplest solution is to not select multiple images at the same time or to Deselect All then select only the one, or 2 or whatever number, you want to apply the color label to.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanks for your suggestion. Of course I can do that, but many times I need to do that. Many times I want to apply a keyword to multiple photos or sync some develop steps. As said, even if I consider not to select multiple photos at a time, I'm still 2 or 3 clicks away to ruin lot of work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0
Coque3k LATEST
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I added my comment and voted on the 9 year old feature request!

Now cross fingers someone is reading it ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be a great feature if Lightroom allowed you to Lock a photo to prevent any further edits.  This feature has been asked for several times but Adobe has chosen not to implement it.  Unfortunately, Snapshots only record develop settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0