Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for Workflow Input for Lightroom, Lightroom Classic and iPad syncing

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm trying to add LR CC to my Classic workflow and would really like some help/input from other users.  Previously, my workflow was relatively simple.  I shoot 100% raw, import to classic, and then go from there.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to add LR CC to the mix.  When I'm shooting in the field, I am able to wirelessly transfer the images from my camera to my iPad's camera roll (I'm not sure of the actual file type after transfer, whether it is still an NEF or somehow converts to JPEG via the Nikon WMU transfer software).  In any event, after getting the photos into my camera roll, I am able to import them into LR CC on the iPad.  This is great, because in a fairly short period of time I am able to make rough edits to the photos, but more importantly, share the images via a LR Shared Collection.

Now the problems:  After returning home, I will put my camera's SD card into the computer and import into LR Classic, using my standard workflow.  However, LR Classic now has two versions of the same photo - one from CC and one from my SD card import.  Obviously my initial rough edits are only applied to the CC versions of the file and I end up starting over on the imported images.

What are other people doing to manage both Classic and CC?  I really like the ability to share my photos quickly when shooting away from home.

Thanks all,

CS

Message was edited by: Akash Sharma

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone, I prefer to import selected images (or everything if I've not shot many) using the SD to Lightning adapter. It's importing the raw file, which I can tweak and share before I get home. When I import from the card, Lightroom Classic's Import dialog detects the duplicate files.

I suspect that the wireless transfer is only importing the JPEGs, but you can check that for yourself in Lightroom Classic, and it seems that this is overcomplicating things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Akash and John.  I have had the sync option checked, but never moved the files outside of their default location.  That's a good hint.

John - does your lightning to SD adapter import full resolution raw images?  I looked at some of the adapters online and some reviewers are saying that it automatically compresses the images.  I'm assuming when LR's import dialogue detects the duplicates, you would just not import those specific files from your camera's card (as they are already there). 

Thanks again.

Carl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it's the raw file, and Import detects duplicates automatically and gives you the option not to import them again. I have the Apple SD card to Lightning adapter and the file goes first into the iOS Photos, and is then automatically imported into LR Mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CS,

I would recommend that you use the Lightroom desktop sync to download the raw images on your computer and then use the same set of images in Lightroom Classic.

Lightroom desktop syncs the original files and the location of the synced images can be changed as well.

Here’s how change the default Lightroom sync import folder:

• Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Lightroom Sync
  • Change the location of the default folder to wherever you want the photos stored and further to be used in Lightroom Classic.

This is my version of a workaround and it may be helpful and feasible for you.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines